Is Mobil getting out of the filter business?...

I plan to use the dealer recommended AC Delco UPF-63R...I wouldn't use a jobber filter on any of my cars just because I might never know the quality of the product and OEM or recommended isn't priced much higher...

did you find that 36 PSI bypass anywhere besides Purolator?

Bill
No, that was from Purolator. Everything I've seen on the UPF63R seems to state 21-31 PSI bypass, which is in line with the newer GM variable oil pump filter number of 22 PSI (like the newer LS V8s use). Still fairly high.

I understand that...my question was more to the point are they getting out of selling oil filters...I would think with Mobil's ongoing agreements with GM that they would be sure to sell filters for all GM vehicles...no response from Mann+Hummel on the Mobil 1 branded filters yet

Bill

I understand that...my question was more to the point are they getting out of selling oil filters...I would think with Mobil's ongoing agreements with GM that they would be sure to sell filters for all GM vehicles...no response from Mann+Hummel on the Mobil 1 branded filters yet

Bill

I my opinion mobil1 oil filters are no longer top premium filters that can compete with Fram Ultra, RP, Amsoil and Wix XP. Maybe they dont want to position themselves as top of line filters anymore, they are still good filters. Will they ever stop making them? I doubt it

no response from Mann+Hummel or further from Mobil...oil filter companies change their "recipe'" so often or who builds what today doesn't build them tomorrow it is difficult to know if the filter you are buying is still made by the premium maker or is it now a less premium maker filter...
I suspect that most any name filter that meets the factory requirements should suffice for most buyers...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

just an update to this if anyone was still looking...I have never received any response from Mann+Hummel or Mobil on what changed with their filter or why it is no longer listed as a recommended filter for the 3.6 TT engine...

I see the Mobil 1 M1-212 filter available in the newer box (no green graphic colors on the box) at area Walmart stores in bulk however Mobil oil's website no longer shows this filter is recommended for the 3.6 twin turbo engine in the V-Sport...I wonder what has changed but will continue to use the UPF-63R filter from AC Delco...

Bill

I had asked earlier on this Forum about Mobil discontinuing oil filters for my 2016 CTS V-Sport and have now noticed that despite showing the number for a couple other vehicles (all GM) that Mobil says there are no retailers for these filters...I've noticed too that Walmart has restocked their Mobil 1 oil filters but those filters for three GM vehicles I take care of, the shelves have been empty where those filters would be stocked...this has been for almost 2 months now...

I don't have any issue with using the UPF marked AC Delco (racing or Delco Gold) filters but also noticed they don't have the orange/red silicone ADB as before and they are now black...so they no longer appear to be the same as the Mobil 1 oil filters they used to resemble...

I haven't seen or read anything about this change...anyone have any information not this?

Bill
As much as I prefer oe for my choice of filter, Mobil is my 2nd choice. I will switch to kn hp filters with the welded nut if Mobil are not available for my application.

As much as I prefer oe for my choice of filter, Mobil is my 2nd choice. I will switch to kn hp filters with the welded nut if Mobil are not available for my application.

Those nuts have been a source of leaks according to some reports. Goldman Sachs will sort it out though as they own K&N.

As I was told the nut is an additional piece of steel welded to the can itself. Can anyone verify this for sure?

As I was told the nut is an additional piece of steel welded to the can itself. Can anyone verify this for sure?
Yes, the "nut" is a piece of steel stamped in to the shape of a "nut", then spot welded to the dome of the can.

The K&N oil filters were (maybe still are) banned from being used on motorcycles at race tracks because of the risk of them leaking at the nut spot welds that can go bad from vibrations.

Last edited:
Yes, the "nut" is a piece of steel stamped in to the shape of a "nut", then spot welded to the dome of the can.

The K&N oil filters were (maybe still are) banned from being used on motorcycles at race tracks because of the risk of them leaking at the nut spot welds that can go bad from vibrations.
I’ll choose an alternative. No kn for me

received a response from Mobil about their branded Mobil 1 oil filters...thanked me for my inquiry and wrote they would forward my question to the actual manufacturer: Mann-Hummel...if I get an answer from them, I'll include it here...

Bill
What I'd like to know is why are M1 oil filters listed at $15.99 when they're just manufactured by M&H? :cautious:

The danger of the "nut" is that the spot welds weaken the can, and they can rust if exposed to winter de-icing chemicals. I would (& do ) use the K&N black Select series-they appear to made by Champ, and look pretty well built. A lot like the Mobil 1 & CQ Blue filters that Champ used to make!

The M1-212 was superceded by the M1-212A. I ended up going down a long, winding rabbit hole to find that out.
Difference between the A and non-A Mobil oil filters ... another rabbit hole branch, lol.

The A suffix filters look to be rated for 20K vs 15K miles for the non-A suffixed filter models.

1650827818558.png

Difference between the A and non-A Mobil oil filters ... another rabbit hole branch, lol.

The A suffix filters look to be rated for 20K vs 15K miles for the non-A suffixed filter models.

View attachment 97538

Looks like I need to find the Champion Labs crossover for the M1 filter I use...

Back