Disintegrating Mobil 1?

First time I've ever seen anything like this. I've been using AC Delco filters for the past 6 years or so, but decided to put a Mobil 1 filter on, which I used to use on cars I don't have anymore.

I get the AC Delco filter off, start putting the O ring from the Mobil 1 filter on, and it literally disintergrates as I slide it on. That gunk is the outer layer of the O ring coming off. Totally got everywhere and was a PITA to clean out of the housing. What would cause this? The filter looks legit I think

Attachments

• PXL_20231015_014822245.jpg
    PXL_20231015_014822245.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 353
  • PXL_20231015_014808861.jpg
    PXL_20231015_014808861.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 353
First time I've ever seen anything like this. I've been using AC Delco filters for the past 6 years or so, but decided to put a Mobil 1 filter on, which I used to use on cars I don't have anymore.

I get the AC Delco filter off, start putting the O ring from the Mobil 1 filter on, and it literally disintergrates as I slide it on. That gunk is the outer layer of the O ring coming off. Totally got everywhere and was a PITA to clean out of the housing. What would cause this? The filter looks legit I think
I used to see the same thing on the older Motorcraft FL-2062. It’s some sort of coating. Try a Super Tech MP or stay with the AC/Delco.

I used to see the same thing on the older Motorcraft FL-2062. It’s some sort of coating. Try a Super Tech MP or stay with the AC/Delco.
Interesting, I wonder why any o ring would do that. I'll probably stick with AC Delco - a trip to Walmart mid-oil change is my punishment for fixing something that wasn't broken lol

This seems to be more of a problem with Purolator made oil filters. Mobil 1 is made by Purolator.

That’s not a coating-that’s a fake silicone o ring! Nitrile masquerading as silicone with an orange paint job… What will Mann/Purolator screw up next! :poop:
I'm not as knowledgeable about oil filters as some of the other people on here, if Mann/Purolator makes the Mobil 1 filter, do you know who makes the AC Delco filters? They've always been perfect for me

Unless I’m dumb, filter element from what I see is ok; O ring on other hand looks like 💩

This should not be happening. I hope the "Red" orings I just installed are not going to turn out like this. I forgot to oil the oring to boot! But as Bullwinkle stated this appears to be a coating over a basic o-ring. Not sure if it's to add anything or just to fool the buyer.

This should not be happening. I hope the "Red" orings I just installed are not going to turn out like this. I forgot to oil the oring to boot! But as Bullwinkle stated this appears to be a coating over a basic o-ring. Not sure if it's to add anything or just to fool the buyer.
I think if you got the O ring on without disintegrating, you're good. Even if it did fail it would all be encased in the seal groove. Definitely should not be happening though because that coating fell into the post-filter parts of the housing in my case. I had to clean the entire housing. Total pain

It’s supposedly a PTFE coating on the o-ring. I don’t particularly like it. That’s one of the reasons that I went to Super Tech MP11955 filters for my F-150.
If you’re that concerned about it, just stop buying Mobil 1 or any other Purolator made filter. FRAM, Champion Labs, AC/Delco, and Super Tech don’t come with that coating.

I think if you got the O ring on without disintegrating, you're good. Even if it did fail it would all be encased in the seal groove. Definitely should not be happening though because that coating fell into the post-filter parts of the housing in my case. I had to clean the entire housing. Total pain
I'll find out in early spring ha ha. Champ makes a lot of filters for AC Delco.

I'm not as knowledgeable about oil filters as some of the other people on here, if Mann/Purolator makes the Mobil 1 filter, do you know who makes the AC Delco filters? They've always been perfect for me
Most AC Delco branded filters I have seen are Champ Labs/Fram group filters for a long time even some filters when AC filters were a division of GM's AC Spark plug and they made their own filters in Michigan and even in England but not all the numbers were made by AC back then so them taking over after GM closed plants and started life as reseller was not a surprise as they were customers already.

The o-ring appears caught in the threads!

No o-ring would survive that misplacement.

The o-ring should be in the groove about 1/4” lower on the housing.

That is the same filter my Cad 3.6 takes. As mentioned above, the seal is in the wrong groove. With the picture angle shown, move it down to the next groove before reinstalling.

In reality it probably won't matter which groove you use as long as the seal is intact, but the correct one is a little wider than the one shown. Here is a pic of the seal in the correct groove.

Screenshot_20231112_064520.jpg

Last edited:
Back