Mobil 1 no longer PAO oil, but is Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I base this on this question asked to Mobil:

Why does Mobil 1 refuse to specify as to the base oil used in their synthetic products. I remember the Mobil 1 oils in the past proudly proclaimed that it was a PAO based oil. Any comments that would clarify the issue?
-- Wayne Swicegood, Asheboro, NC

And Mobil's response located here:

"As we're sure you can understand, ExxonMobil does not discuss formulations publicly.............."

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Group_3_Base_Oils.aspx

So besides Amsoil's XL-7500 series oil, which is not PAO, are all the other Amsoil oils non-PAO now? I cannot find a statement on their site, except regarding their PAO compressor oils. Thanks - Damon

I believe it was Buster that reported M1 oils may have a base of up to 15 differant "thang of a bobs". PAO, esther, Grp3, and stuff like that. Tom NJ may know more about that.

Tom from NJ, where are you, or others who actually know if there is still a PAO oil still out there, or has the last two companies Mobil and Amsoil, converted over to PAO blends as well, and not just a base 4 oil anymore??????

Just forget Mobil, we all know they are not a full PAO oil.

Originally Posted By: daman
"Mobil 1 uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs)"

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Synthetic_Oils_FAQs.aspx

Mobil's full response: "As we're sure you can understand, ExxonMobil does not discuss formulations publicly,as this information is proprietary. We would rather focus on the advanced technology and proven performance that our engine oils and other products offer to our customers. Mobil 1 is the world’s leading synthetic motor oil and the one chosen by more original equipment manufacturers around the world as factory fill. We want those facts to speak for us so our customers feel confident they are getting a high quality, high performance product that provides ultimate protection to their vehicles."

McDonald's hamburgers have a percent of ground beef in them, but most times I want a 100% ground beef burger. I'm sure you love Mobil, but again I'm looking for a PAO oil, not a blend. If it exists still, cool, if not, so be it.

After 15 years, I had to give up Mobil 1 because it wasn't what it used to be. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, it was GREAT stuff, but that's no longer the case. It's not bottom of the bucket oil, but there's better stuff that's quite easy to find in my opinion.

PAO oils are great, but some of the modern formulations are even better.IMO. As a 32 year user of M1 oils, I have found the modern M1 oils are better than ever( by me and several people I know) by the results we receive.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
After 15 years, I had to give up Mobil 1 because it wasn't what it used to be. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, it was GREAT stuff, but that's no longer the case. It's not bottom of the bucket oil, but there's better stuff that's quite easy to find in my opinion.

Looks like this is going to turn into another bash M1 thread.

Originally Posted By: modernrockbro

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Synthetic_Oils_FAQs.aspx

Mobil's full response: "As we're sure you can understand, ExxonMobil does not discuss formulations publicly,as this information is proprietary. We would rather focus on the advanced technology and proven performance that our engine oils and other products offer to our customers. Mobil 1 is the world’s leading synthetic motor oil and the one chosen by more original equipment manufacturers around the world as factory fill. We want those facts to speak for us so our customers feel confident they are getting a high quality, high performance product that provides ultimate protection to their vehicles."

McDonald's hamburgers have a percent of ground beef in them, but most times I want a 100% ground beef burger. I'm sure you love Mobil, but again I'm looking for a PAO oil, not a blend. If it exists still, cool, if not, so be it.

I under stand just correcting your M1 no longer PAO head line.

why you feel the need for a full PAO base oil?

Curious what this is based on? Extensive tear-down testing using M1 and competitive products or just conjecture and speculation?

Originally Posted By: tig1

Looks like this is going to turn into another bash M1 thread.

Always does....

"but there's better stuff that's quite easy to find in my opinion"

like??? and whats better about it? any documented proof you can post? just asking...

No reason to bash Mobil 1, my comment was based on oil consumption with M1 that went away after I switched to another brand. No teardowns or science is needed for that.

07.gif

No reason to bash Mobil 1, my comment was based on oil consumption with M1 that went away after I switched to another brand. No teardowns or science is needed for that.

No, but finding the root of the consumption would have helped.

For example, in a grade of oil, many brands have thicker and thinner formulas. M1 0w30 for example is a very thin 30-weight and has been known to sheer down to a heavy 20-weight in use.

Castrol Syntec 0w30 on the other hand is a heavy 0w30, closer to the 40-weight side of the scale.

There is also the fact that many engines, when introduced to a particular brand or oil formula will experience some consumption for an OCI or two, then it peters off and may stop completely.

I had consumption (1L/10,000Km IIRC) with M1 5w20 in my Expedition. But I have none with their 0w30, which isn't much heavier.

And of course there are a variety of different ways for oil loss to occur. It can weep by a seal or gasket. It can get by valve seals. It can be sucked up through the PCV system and of course it can get by the rings.

Originally Posted By: modernrockbro

you do realize there is no 100% PAO oil?

bits and pieces i found in searching..

Group IV oils that are all group IV have poor seal compatibility and additive solubility so they do not exist. Between additive carriers and esters, alkylated napthalenes or other stuff added to help the oil be more soluble and seal compatible, I doubt any oil is more than 90% PAO.

Basically all grades of Mobil 1 are primarily PAO. I doubt any grades are less than 70% PAO. The 0W-20, 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-50 and 15W-50 are all vastly group IV/V base, there is debate about the 5W-30 and 10W-30 but nobody really knows for sure.

i doubt you can get the above oil's from all grp III so take it for what it's worth to you...

Daman I wanted a PAO oil based on this:

"VI improving additives can shear back under pressure and high heat conditions leaving the motor oil unable to protect the engine properly under high heat conditions and cause sludging. Also there is a limit to how much viscosity improving additives can be added without affecting the rest of the motor oil's chemistry. Auto manufacturers have moved away from some motor oils that require a lot of viscosity improving additives, like the 10W-40 and 20W-50 motor oils, to blends that require less viscosity additives like the 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 motor oils. Because stress loads on multi viscosity motor oils can also cause thinning many racers choose to use a straight weight petroleum racing motor oil or a PAO based Synthetic which do not have the VI additives. But only the Group IV (4) PAO based synthetics don't need VI additives."

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

So it's clear, I am not bashing Mobil 1, I only quoted Mobil's stance on answering one of their consumer's direct question at them. I have yet to give a personal opinion on Mobil 1, as I have none.

you do realize there is no 100% PAO oil?

No, that's why I said this: "I'm sure you love Mobil, but again I'm looking for a PAO oil, not a blend. If it exists still, cool, if not, so be it. "

I always hate these kind`ve responses:

Mobil 1 is the world’s leading synthetic motor oil and the one chosen by more original equipment manufacturers around the world as factory fill.

I couldn`t care less who uses it for factory fill. That`s not what was asked. I guess it`s supposed to impress us so we`ll be like,"Woah!!!!!!!! If it`s factory fill then it MUST be the best!!!!!!!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back