Mobil 1 base oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by Loma
There is one from 2019. You have to make sure the country is USA.

yes of course usa.
the fact is that the MSDS and should not contain complete information about the composition. very approximately

I don't know what to tell you. There is a May 2019 MSDS of AFE. No one said it's an exact composition.

The only M1 oils that appear to use some GTL are AFE/regular M1 (some). The rest are PAO/AN/visom III+. Again, this is just based off of MSDS's which are not formulations.

Thank.
I chose the oil between Mobile 1 0w20 and 5w20. They cost the same. I did the analysis and made sure that the composition of the base oil is different. The price is the same. I bowed in the direction of 0w20

There is one from 2019. You have to make sure the country is USA.

yes of course usa.
the fact is that the MSDS and should not contain complete information about the composition. very approximately

I don't know what to tell you. There is a May 2019 MSDS of AFE. No one said it's an exact composition.

The only M1 oils that appear to use some GTL are AFE/regular M1 (some). The rest are PAO/AN/visom III+. Again, this is just based off of MSDS's which are not formulations.

Thank.
I chose the oil between Mobile 1 0w20 and 5w20. They cost the same. I did the analysis and made sure that the composition of the base oil is different. The price is the same. I bowed in the direction of 0w20

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by pbm
Back in early March this list was posted by another forum member (Gokhan).

M1 AFE 0W-16: PAO-based

M1 AFE 0W-20: 1/2 PAO-based and some GTL
M1 EP 0W-20: PAO-based
M1 EP HM 0W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 0W-20: 1/4 PAO- and 1/4 GTL-based
M1 TP 0W-20: 2/3 PAO and 1/3 Group III
M1 AP 0W-20: PAO-based

M1 5W-20: 2/3 GTL
M1 EP 5W-20: 1/3 PAO, a dash of GTL
M1 EP HM 5W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 5W-20: 1/4 GTL, a dash of PAO
M1 TP 5W-20: 1/4 PAO
M1 AP 5W-20: 1/4 PAO

Is this information available for 0w30, 5w30, 0w40 and 5w40 Mobil 1 oils?

Originally Posted by DGXR
pbm said:
...Back in early March this list was posted by another forum member... (Gokhan).

Yes, but even he is guessing since no one here works in the Mobil formulation lab.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LEADED
MSDS does not equate , a PCMO Formulation. Far from it.

True and just to reiterate, no one that I know is saying that.

An MSDS gives a little indicatioin but that's it.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
You want ester in your sump? By a can of this and dump in a cup or two.

When is the last time you changed the oil in the compressor in that 60 year old Coldspot beer fridge in the garage?

POE Baby.

[Linked Image]

Is this a joke or serious? Either way hilarious...

Originally Posted by Shannow
back when m1 tri syn was how it was branded in the States, the third was Alkylated Napthenes, also Gr5

Hey mate, where are you from ?

edit...but this isn't the old tri-syn days...and "using" doesn't imply exclusivity

Hi mate, western Sydney
smile.gif
. And i agree, it seems to be a play on words doesn't it?

Thanks for all the replies guys, some really interesting stuff in here :), particularly the list showing the makeup of various M1 oils. I've managed to pick up some 5w-30 EP over here in Aus (a local guy imports from the US). Does anyone have any info regarding the makeup of that specific oil? Thanks again, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by OZHSV

Hey mate, where are you from ?

Hi mate, western Sydney
smile.gif

I'm a little west of you in the mountains...
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5124273/1

I'm at the foot of the mountains..a little east of you
wink.gif

love the singlet pic in the snow..always knew you mountains blokes were a strange mob lol..

I'm guessing upper mountains closer to Katoomba..

Originally Posted by weasley
Originally Posted by tig1
All M1 oils contain some esters.

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-auto-experts/questions-for-auto-experts/what-is-ester-oil

Wait, what?! The page you linked to doesn't say that. It says:

Ester oil is synthetic base oil that has been chemically synthesized. Typically ester oils are used in passenger car air-conditioning compressors, refrigerators and other industrial applications. Esters are one of the classes of synthetics that have been used in Mobil 1â„¢ oils as well. Esters are stable molecules, provide good solvency, and provide very good low-temperature and high-temperature performance in engine oils.

Yeah, that's been pointed out to him multiple times in the past, but he has continued to post his misunderstanding of XOM, statement. One time, he said an XOM tech support guy he spoke to also said the same thing. The bait was taken hook, line, and sinker.

Originally Posted by weasley
Originally Posted by tig1
All M1 oils contain some esters.

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-auto-experts/questions-for-auto-experts/what-is-ester-oil

Wait, what?! The page you linked to doesn't say that. It says:

Ester oil is synthetic base oil that has been chemically synthesized. Typically ester oils are used in passenger car air-conditioning compressors, refrigerators and other industrial applications. Esters are one of the classes of synthetics that have been used in Mobil 1â„¢ oils as well. Esters are stable molecules, provide good solvency, and provide very good low-temperature and high-temperature performance in engine oils.

Your wrong. I have confirmed all M1 oils contain some esters at Mobil tech.

According to the FTIR spectrum, all non-Euro (non-FS and non-ESP) Mobil 1 oils contain Group V alkylated naphthalene (AN) and none of the Euro (FS and ESP) Mobil 1 oils contain AN.

According to the FTIR oxidation numbers (~ 35%), all Euro (FS and ESP) Mobil 1 oils contain about 5 - 7% ester (POE). However, the non-Euro (non-FS and non-ESP) Mobil 1 oils contain no ester or perhaps less than 2% ester (oxidation # ~ 10%) -- more likely in the form of some esterized additive than actually a small amount of ester base stock.

and they cure male pattern baldness and the heartbreak of psoriasis

Which grades are best? Cuz I could use help with the baldness part ...

Originally Posted by pbm
Back in early March this list was posted by another forum member (Gokhan).

M1 AFE 0W-16: PAO-based

M1 AFE 0W-20: 1/2 PAO-based and some GTL
M1 EP 0W-20: PAO-based
M1 EP HM 0W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 0W-20: 1/4 PAO- and 1/4 GTL-based
M1 TP 0W-20: 2/3 PAO and 1/3 Group III
M1 AP 0W-20: PAO-based

M1 5W-20: 2/3 GTL
M1 EP 5W-20: 1/3 PAO, a dash of GTL
M1 EP HM 5W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 5W-20: 1/4 GTL, a dash of PAO
M1 TP 5W-20: 1/4 PAO
M1 AP 5W-20: 1/4 PAO

Do you have info for M1 0W-40 and 5W-50 ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alcyon
Do you have info for M1 0W-40 and 5W-50 ?

According to the MSDSs, it looks like:

M1 FS 0W-40: 1/4 PAO & 3/4 GTL (approximate numbers)
M1 FS X2 5W-50: 1/4 PAO, 3/8 GTL, 3/8 Group III (approximate numbers)

Since they are Euro (FS or ESP) formulations, they also have 5 - 7% ester (POE).

In addition they list the alcohols the four ZDDP chains are made of: dimethyl butanol (secondary alcohol with six carbons), isopropanol (secondary alcohol with three carbons), and methyl pentanol (possibly used in two chains, secondary alcohol with six carbons). ZDDPs have different properties according to whether they are made from primary or secondary alcohols and whether from alcohols with short or long chains. Secondary alcohols with short chains protect best against wear, as the ZDDP readily decomposes and forms protective antiwear films. Primary alcohols with long chains decompose slower and may protect against oxidation better. All three alcohols used in this ZDDP are secondary -- meaning the carbon that connects to the oxygen connects to two other carbons -- and they all have short chains -- three or six carbon atoms -- therefore, this ZDDP should have excellent antiwear properties.

This is the ZDDP molecule (the preferred neutral type as opposed to the less effective basic type) with the R1O, R2O, R3O, and R4O being the four alcohol chains with the H from OH removed:

[Linked Image]

These are the alcohols used in the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 and FS X2 5W-50 ZDDP:

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/92172#section=2D-Structure
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/22833379#section=2D-Structure

https://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/

Son, the truth will set you free.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
You want ester in your sump? By a can of this and dump in a cup or two.

When is the last time you changed the oil in the compressor in that 60 year old Coldspot beer fridge in the garage?

POE Baby.

[Linked Image]

Is this a joke or serious? Either way hilarious...

Same stuff used in motor oil formulations. You can also buy ISO 100 grade if you want something more viscous.

I always see folks whining about having no POA in their oil then they scoff at adding pure POA.

Figure that one out. POA fridge compressor oil is surely one of the least harmful things you can add to a sump.

It may be formulated into that expensive additive you have seen marketed as one that "soaks into metal" .

Caution: This POA is not additised and it may have harmless tracer dye added

Note that lubricant life in a refrigerator compressor is long due to the relatively clean, closed system and the absence of combustion byproducts.

I have an Idea, somebody ask ProjectFarm to run this in his mower test and One-arm bearing bandit.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back