Mobil 1 Labelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather Mobil stops producing M1 until the supplies improves than for them to do behind the scene reformulating and pretending everything is fine. This seems to be an easy way to destroy the value of a premium brand. People buy a premium brand because of the confidence and consistency they expect from it. If people start to lose that, the value of the brand will be fleeting.
Personally I would reevaluating my options once my current stock of M1EP are gone in a year. I will have to wait to see the data saying their latest formulation is still good before I will buy it again.

Honestly TC8, I would not feel so bad about what Mobil has done. The ? was asked why and they answered it. Notice they said the changes are as good compare to the oil before … The really crazed thing you all need to keep in mind is while Mobil had to change and made their oil “as good” other companies may not feel the need to do this. The other companies may not even tell you and laugh at you while you use their dumb down oil killing your new car warranty.

I know this may be pickin' fly sheet outa pepper...but those of us who chose to to use the new formulation w/o the API starburst..are we now not in compliance with our new vehicle warranty?

Also does this statement somewhat lead one to believe, that once this API testing is concluded, that M1 will remain this 'new' formulation?
"The process of the API esting should be done within 2-3 months and we will be able to carry all the API statements."

Yah mon, I was thinking on the same thing there ... If they gonna spend the money and wait the time for API testing and such then this new formulation must be either here for a long time to come or here forever. Maybe it's a better and cheaper formula then before ...

I don't expect anything from their emails other than glossing over the changes. It's just that, marketing talk. BTW, having an API certification doesn't mean it's a top oil. Any synthetic oil should easily meet that and they could tone down the M1 and still get the cert.

From reading this board, it seems that quite a few people having similar doubts about quality over this post Katrina thing. Maybe stockpiling oil as some people did isn't that a bad idea. I'm not saying their reformulation is not good. But Mobil has done this before. They moved M1 to M1EP and came up with a watered down version of M1. I will wait and let other people try it first.

So the next question is "What about the EP line?"

Extended Performance is API SL, and evidently the additives are not affected by "hurricane" problems if the API donut is still on the label.

Makes me wonder if the regular M1 line is/was using an older style ZDDP, possibly tied to the supply problems of Oronite?

I'm with TC8, who said:

"I would rather Mobil stops producing M1 until the supplies improve than for them to do behind the scene reformulating and pretending everything is fine. This seems to be an easy way to destroy the value of a premium brand. People buy a premium brand because of the confidence and consistency they expect from it. If people start to lose that, the value of the brand will be fleeting.
Personally I will be reevaluating my options once my current stock of M1EP are gone in a year. I will have to wait to see the data saying their latest formulation is still good before I will buy it again."

M1EP is better than M1, or at least in term of the strength of add pack. However, M1EP is only SL certified since it exceeded the cap on the ZDDP set by the API SM.

I can think of two possibilities regarding the M1EP in the post katrina situation.

(1) Since M1EP is now the top of the line at Mobil, they may value it more and be more careful regarding reformulatng. That is, if they managed to secure a smaller quantity of the add, they may try to satisfy the need of M1EP product first.

(2) SL may be more lax in terms of certification, that Mobil may be able to reformulate without the need to get it recertified. Also since SL is there a long time already, they may have some alternative formulations that are already certified. If that's the case, they can still bottle it using the current labels.

Until people see the M1EP appear without the SL/GF-3 rating, I wouldn't worry about it. The GF-4 additive requirements are what caused a "watered down" version of M1 to show up in the first place. I doubt the SM/GF-4 version is really watered down much anyway, it just uses different additives to make up for the reductions in the ones we're used to seeing. It wouldn't surprise me if it's those new additives that are in short supply, not the ones used in the EP oil.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment on what additives are in short supply and which ones aren't.

Anyone know the production dates affected and how to read them on M1 bottles? Maybe the extra effort to obtain pre-Katrina M1 will elevate it to leprechaun status.

I found out how to read it from the quart bottle. There is a flurescent print at the top of the back side which shows the date/time. The problem is that a lot of times, the month is right on the ridge of the back side making it very difficult to read. I wish they print it just as clearly as the chevron/havoline.

These days I'm buying the jugs, (more tamper proof?) I haven't been able to found out how to read the date of those. If someone knows, please do tell.

quote:

I wish they print it just as clearly as the chevron/havoline.

I was in an auto parts store a few nights ago and noticed the new Havoline quart bottles have the date stamp printed on the edge of the contoured base. I found it impossible to read the date on the quart in the auto parts store's florescent lighting. At first I thought it was a production misalignment and maybe different quarts would be easier to read. I picked up probably 4 or 5 different quarts of two different grades and they were all printed the same. Then I looked at the cases and the date stamp was missing on the top of the case. No, I did not buy any.

aoar...

Got a pic for ya...just can't figure out how to paste it into a reply...

well... guys... something that no one want to happened is happening...
I went to target today and see if I have luck with the 15W50 deal... I saw the bottle of EP 15W50 no NO donut and only "suitable"...
and the price is 5.XX... @@

Are there two different "new" labels for Mobil 1 quarts? When I was shopping the other day, I saw quarts without any API "donuts" and starbursts (just like your photos of the jugs). From your photos, I see that there seem to also be quarts with the starburst, but the API is only for SL/CF...not SM. WTH?

It's easy enough to avoid the non-starburst bottles, being as there is a big void on the front label. I guess we now have to read every back label to make sure we're getting what we pay for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back