Mobil 1 Labelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen the newer bottles of M1 5W-30 (not the 'Extended Performance")?
Just picked some up at Wally world today and noticed the different label.
I was wondering why the API starburst & donut have been omitted from the label. Also, whereas the verbiage "Meets or Exceeds" previously existed, has now been replaced by "Suitable for:"
This appears on the quart bottles only, the 5 qt jugs remain the same as before.

Perhaps this is due in part to "quality drift" allowance due to additive component shortages from all the storm events through the Gulf area. Interesting.

Already changed my oil, and pitched the bottles in the garbage. Might yet dig 'em out for pics...

Interesting article...there seems to be a 'regression' in quality of the product / labeling claims...

(4) bottles left from a case purchased about (3) months ago. Labeled w/starburst, donut, and "EXCEEDS" Ford spec, GF-4, etc.

(1) bottle purchased last month. Labeled w/starburst, donut, and "MEETS" Ford spec, GF-4, etc.

(1) bottle purchased yesterday. Label missing starburst, donut, stating "SUITABLE FOR:" Ford spec, GF-4, etc.

It would appear Exxon Mobil did not apply for andor submit the tech info relative to thier formulation changes per the "EPL"? Makes me wonder what exactly the 'new' formulation is...

"To invoke Emergency Provisional Licensing (EPL), licensees are required to provide API with a detailed description of the event that created the need for the Emergency Provisional License; describe the steps that have been taken to find other sources of licensable material; and estimate the shortage’s expected duration. Also required: technical information showing “that the use of the substitute component will not adversely affect the claimed performance of the licensed product."

I was just at Walmart myself and saw the same thing as Dr Cpk. This new labeling is definitely different than the M1 5W-30 that I have purchased before, and is NOT comforting.

Everyone here was warned over a month ago that this was coming and to buy available stock while it was still available as fully GF-4/SM formulated. (I know that for a fact...
wink.gif
) It's likely only temporary until the additive plants are back on line. Chevron's Oronite division was struggling even prior to Katrina and Rita. The predicted shortages of paraffin base stocks haven't materialized, though, and probably won't unless the gulf region gets beat up again. PAOs were hit, though.

slightly
offtopic.gif
Havoline is back in my walmart after weeks of hiatus. Date code was something like 092205 with a "TX". API endorsements looked the same.

What bothered me was the attitude of the API that the general public did no have to be notified or warned about reduced spec oil, that the same official stamp would apply. I guess the general public is so stupid that they did not want to cause any lack of confidense it API licensed products. Is the selling of the license more important than the product produced? And this change in labels may be the only clue that you should watch out.

Yep, spotted at the local Walmart, both 5W-30 & 10W-30 M1 quart bottles with the phrase "suitable for SM" on the label and no API donut or starburst.

So the formulation must no longer meet the license, no doubt with an additive substitution rather than a change due to a PAO basestock shortage.

Will the formula change prevent you guys from buying Mobil 1 and make you want to switch to the Hurricane- free GC?
I think you should give it a try...

I just came back from Pep Boys and bought the last six quarts of the A.P.I. certified Mobil 1 5W-30 that the store had.

Just got back from Wallyworld, here's what I found for Mobil 1:

All 5w-30 5qt jugs are w/out API labeling.

Most of the 5w-30 1qt bottles are w/out API labeling; had six bottles left w/API label, I bought them out.

10w-30 (jugs & bottles) w/API label were plentiful; full cases of 10w-30 are w/out API labeling (yes, I opened a case to check).

Mobil 7500 10w-30 was all w/out API; 5w-30 was still available w/API (odd, I would have thought the opposite).

Mobil 5000 was all API in both weights, as far as I could tell.

Lastly, the oil section was a mess...apparently I'm not the only one shopping there who reads BITOG.

quote:

M1 quart bottles with the phrase "suitable for SM" on the label and no API donut or starburst.

sounds like M1 has been "Amsoiled"
grin.gif

It's probably better than before.
wink.gif

I bought a case of Mobil 1 5w/40 T/SUV from Fleet Farm last week and bottles has the API donut but not the starbust. The 5qt jug of 5w/30 EP I bought from Wally World about a month ago also has the API donut on the back but no starburst on the front.

Edit: I just checked the Mobil1.com website and I see that the T/SUV and 5w/30EP oils do not have the API Starburst labels on the bottles (from what I could tell from the small pictures at least).

[ November 07, 2005, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: road_rascal ]

HERE IS THE QUESTION I POSTED ON THE MOBIL1 WEB SITE ON 06-NOV:
Concerning Mobil1 5W-30, why have the API starburst & donut have been removed from the label? Also, previous ratings said "Meets or Exceeds", now it says "Suitable for". Can you please tell me the reason for these changes? Note, this is NOT the "Extended Performance" version, just the standard Mobil1 5W-30.

Thanks for your help!

ANSWER:
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 1:20 PM
To: SWS
Subject: (no subject)

Due to the hurricanes that we have recieved this season, some of the additives that we use in Mobil1 motor oils were disrupted in supply therefore, we had to utilize different additives.
When you change the additive technology in your formulation you must retest with the API to carry all the designation and specifications. Mobil has performed many tests on the new formulation and is very positive that the product is just as superior as the previous formulation. The process of the API esting should be done within 2-3 months and we will be able to carry all the API statements. Feel rest assurred that you are receiving the same outstanding performance and protection that you have always received from the Mobil1 product.

Anyone knows how to read the date from the jug bottle? I tried but couldn't figure it out. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back