mobil 1 post katrina

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 5w-30 jug of mobil 1 at wally world for $21.07. It has the starburst on the front of th e bottle, but no donut on the back. I'm assuming this means that it is still a product affected by Hurricane Katrina. What is different about the formulation? Should I choose a different oil over it because of this?

Wow, the shelves at my local Wally's is still pretty bare of M1 products. No T/SUV at all. Sounds like the rest of the country is getting the stuff, I wonder why we aren't.

Here in Indianapolis at my local Wal-Mart the shelves are stocked full of Mobil products. Maybe it has something to do w/how far away the distribution facilities are from you?!?!?

I don't know about Wally World, but in auto parts stores I'm still seeing 5w-30 that says on the back "suitable for ILSAC GF-4", right along side of bottles of 5w-20 that say "ILSAC GF-4". I'm assuming two things from this. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

My first assumption is that although it's been some time since Katrina, inventories of the "substitute" oil are still on the shelves. No telling how long it will be before they are sold. Only then will stores order more, which (by now) will hopefully mean the normal formulation.

My second assumption is that Mobil is the only company which is honest enough to indicate that the "post Katrina oil" is not the normal formulation. I'll bet plenty of other oils are not the usual formulation after Katrina, but they don't say so, since by law they're not compelled to.

I was at the local Wallyworld today and they had a 5qt jug of 5w30 with API starburt & donut; I think this had to be really old stock or a recent return. The label even had a big "5" printed on the front...weird.

Plus, the price is now $20.87/jug.

Thanks,

I just found some mobil 1 10w-30 with the starburst and donut at wally world. I guess it might be a new batch. I went ahead and returned the 5w-30 that didn't have the donut symbol on it. Thanks Mustang for the help.

BTW...Go Hawks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back