Mobil 1 Labelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
The quart container is a few months old. My intention was to show what is missing on the new containers. I agree, I'll be inspecting the containers more closely in the future until this phase has passed.

M1 EP 5W-30 (5qt jug) has been sold-out at my local Walmart for >1 week, with low stock on other M1 weights. The Walmart employee said that is pretty unusual, since they restock every night. This made me wonder if the supply of M1 is in jeopardy in my area (East TN). I found what I wanted at another Walmart 15 minutes away, but they are also running low on various weights of M1.

I saw examples of both standard M1 and M1-EP that have the new "suitable for" re-labeling.

Has any one seen the M1 qt bottles in the same style that have what looks to be the mobil 5000 or Mobil 7500 bottle. I had to do a double take at the M1 bottle but there it was right in front of me, right next to some other M1 bottles that still where in the pre hurricane bottles.
dunno.gif

I guess they must have a shortage on the bottles too!

Looks like M1EP is also going the way M1 is going.

Looking at the dates, looks like the label changed sometime end of September. Got the last pre-Katrina jug from the local store. Should have enough until next summer. By then, hopefully there is enough data to see how the new formulation is doing.

Picked up a case of M1 EP 5w30 and 10w30 from pep boys last night. buy3get3free coupons, plus there's a mail in rebate for $3 a case (but the way its written it looks like 6qts x $3 for $18, which I'll try).
The EP formulations had API SL donuts still; regular M1 was "suitable for" SM GF-4. At least now my stock of M1 should outlast the Katrina stocks.

Thanks for posting the images Winston!! I hope all this will be straightened out before I start my Christmas shopping!! I sure don't want to be giving my kids downlevel engine oil for their presents! lolololol

Some of the theory that is posted on this site is just silly and are not based on any type of education on the subject or any actual and verifiable testing
And for the oil company to explain why a label change was done and people starting a thread about how they don’t trust the maker of one of the highest quality oils is just another example of a rant about an alarming situation that is not warranted and does not exist

Just my 2cent

I live in WI also. I had three 5 qt jugs of M1 5w-30 in reserve before the hurricanes. I was now down to about 1 qt in my last bottle. This morning I went to the local Walmart, which has been out of M1 5w-30 for at least 4 weeks. They were fully stocked this morning with a fresh shipment. I bought 10 qts at $20.19 per 5 qt jug. The labels on each side of the jug have all of the same information and ratings as the jug I had sitting at home. The API starburst emblem and all of the ratings are still there.

Yesterday Black Fri, I was about to use one of my BOGOs at PBY when I noticed the lack of endorements of several M1s on the shelves. Notably the 5w30 & 10w30s..only the 5w20s(must be slow sellers) pre-Katrinas still has 'em.

I was planning to get a case of classic M1 5w20 to mix my EP 15w50 stash for the 190E. In addition, this Pep Boys stll has a lot of those NOS M1 0w20s..

Which should I get, the newer 5w20s or the retro bottled 0w20s...Are the 0w20s any good to mix w/ 15w50?? Any expert mixers care to share your opinions..Thanks!
cheers.gif

Doubleclutch Only:

Just because it's Off Topic.

I can tell your dog Rusty is a Jack Russell what about Sophie?

quote:

And for the oil company to explain why a label change was done and people starting a thread about how they don’t trust the maker of one of the highest quality oils is just another example of a rant about an alarming situation that is not warranted and does not exist.

ComancheDude, I tend to partially agree with your statement.

Nothing is unethical or devious about the manner in which ExxonMobil is dealing with the additive shortage and the API substitution rules.

The M1 formulation is proprietary and ExxonMobil has the right to change it at any time for any reason, within the API certification guidelines, without any notification to the public.

However, in this case, ExxonMobil is making the details public. The e-mail response from Mobil 1 explains that the "hurricane" formulation exceeds the allowable API substitution guidelines and needs to be re-tested.

We have not viewed anything that indicates this "suitable for" formulation falls short of meeting all the API bench & performance tests for a SL/SM certification.

Many loyal M1 customers will run the "hurricane" formulation & not blink an eye.

But this is an unusual situation, for a premium branded motor oil to be on the shelf without the API donut. So it is a very valid topic for a thread.

I'm very curious as to whether this additive substitution becomes permanent and what VOA/UOA's will reveal about it!
smile.gif

I think either M1 5w20 or 0w20 is fine. All the different versions of M1 seems to be pretty similar except the M1 TSUV 5w40. I constantly mix M1 5w30/10w30/0w40. No ill effects so far and seems to be quieter than when I just used straight 5w30.

Personally I probably would use 0w20 just that the spec seems to be a little bit better and the addpack concentration is a little bit higher.

Thanks. I went ahead and bought the remaining 8 M1 0w20s in this downtown LA Pep Boys. However, I included 4 5w20s just to even out the 2 Pep Boys BOGO coupons I used.

Btw, I also went to this one Target to check out the M1 EP 15w50s if the sale price is still on.

Dang! Even this EP wasn't spared of that "suitable" labeling..

The $1.18 pre-Kat 52qts I have has ACEA A3,B3/B4 API SL/CF + the donut stamp..the post-Kat now only shows plainly "Suitable for API SL/CF" and is $5.76.
rolleyes.gif

I was in Target tonight and was actually looking at Pennzoil 5W30 for 1.87 (best price I've seen around here) and just for the heck of it I took a look at the M1 5W30 that was on the shelf.

There were about 7 quarts with 2 of them being pre Katrina. For whatever reason I bought them at 5.39 apiece...ok now I know I'm sick and need help for doing that. I have 30 qts of green GC, 4 qts Castrol Syntec blend and 7 of Chevron Supreme. My wife is looking at me funny and whispering to the kids about me(I think)

I also was unpacking some boxes from when I moved years ago and found a quart of M1 that is SJ! Is this stuff still good or should I avoid putting SJ in my car or mixing it with SM rated Mobil 1?

Aw man...I forgot to buy the Pennzoil
frown.gif

Do you think it's okay to mix the old "meets or exceeds" M1 oil (15w-50) with the new stuff that only is "suitable for..."? I have one quart of the old stuff leftover...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back