MOBIL 1 is NOT SYNTHETIC - I FOUND PROOF!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I'm not here to defend Mobil, but I have an SAE report (951026) in my hand that indicates that the '93 Indy Winner used the Mobil 1 15W-50 API/SG/CD with .11% Phos Level. The post race teardown indicated that there was very little wear on the engine and that it could have gone another 500 miles.

They had to be paid big bucks by someone to do that for research or something. There is no way I would even consider Mobil-1 if I was racing. But I believe they have different oil systems too, they probably have dry sump which should eliminate starvation so the antiwear properties are not as important as on yours and my car.
I know of several people who have spun bearings using Mobil-1 oil while track racing.
This is where an oil like Red Line or possibly Schaeffer's really comes into play.
If I was racing you couldn't pay me enough to run Mobil-1. Who cares about the cost of the motor, if you spin a bearing, your race is over.
And for a professional racer to use M1, there has to big money involved.
I cannot fathom any other reason why they would pick M1 over Red Line race oils.

That's odd. Mobil 1 couldn't even prevent my Honda Civic from developing piston-slap (piston skirt wear) for 70,000 miles.

The only example I know of which cites the results you mentioned ... is Mobil's own million dollar advertising campaign.

Sorry Cold Fusion, but your posts fail to assuage my skepticism.

-
Was I trying too? Maybe subconsciously? I dont know, somebody throw me a bone here.

Okay, to the person who posted that F1 teams use the same Mobil 1 that is on our shelf-RIGHT! You're kidding right?!

Why would that be? Because YOU say so? You're right it was all a fabrication in a feeble attempt to draw critisism. In hindsight, I'd say it worked quite well.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
They had to be paid big bucks by someone to do that for research or something. There is no way I would even consider Mobil-1 if I was racing.

Ummmmm....He did win the race.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

[ July 22, 2002, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

I went over to Gasoline Alley here in Indy Saturday. It's a road, just south of the speedway where there are some race teams. IRL, CART, sprint cars, are HQ'd in the area along with a few of the support companies. You can peek into the shops and there are retail showrooms for racing products. On the shelves are the same bottles of Mobil One, Redline, Synergy (?) that we can get at PEP Boys, Walmart ,Target etc. I was in a shop that sells used/surplus and new racing parts. I asked the salesman if the racing teams used bought oils from him off his shelves. He said yes, they get the bulk of the oil from a distributor, but sometimes they run short and buy from him. He also said, he buys from teams when they have surplus to stock his shelves. This also verifies the fact, when i walk in the garage area at indy speedway/ IRP-US Nationals during practices, on the shelves, are what appears to be OTC motor/gear oil bottles. What might atually be in the bottles, who knows, but i suspect it's the stuff we get.

Such negativity, all because ONE person defended Mobil 1....very interesting indeed. As a side note I must mention that rebuilding F1 engines every race (and especially using goat piss) has nothing to do with the type of oil you use(they rebuild them regardless of oil used). It's how that particular oil performs while in the engine that counts. Does F1 use Mobil 1 that we use? Yes. And Redline? Yes.
rolleyes.gif

Al, I believe it. Indy car engines are severely limited ... so making one last 500 miles is not the great feat we might initially think it is. This was a main reason for the CART/IRL split. CART wanted high-tech engines and Indy wanted to limit engine development and thus, costs.

And now CART is (slowly) folding because of financial pressures. Too bad, I liked it much better.

Well, at least there's plenty of other racing ... like the World Rally Championsip!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Go Mad Man McRae! Go!
burnout.gif

I believe Mobil 1 is still a full synth, a PAO/ester base oil.

As far as most expensive races go, most of the oils are custom blends. For certain racers in the past and without any oil formulation restrictions, I have used, for example, excessive amounts of XXXYYY esters in all kinds of base oils just to get 1-5 more HP out of an engine. Now it didn't matter that the formulated oil, or what was left of it after the race, was trash and it would take the oil out of your skin, or bleach your fingernails, or eat the seals. Bearings and seals are one of the least expensive parts of the engine. You wanted the engine, differential, and transmission to last for about 4 hours and at least place in the top ten! After that, teardown and replacement of worn or damaged components.

The used oil was disposed of as hazardous waste, and a special preservative formulation was used for engine storage. Many times, the oil is analyzed for certain characteristics, such as maybe a reformulation for the next race. Most racing oils are formulated for racing and contain a different additive package than for passenger cars.

Now for the weekend racers, any good 'ole oil will just about do. But the usual weekend racer isn't running the amount of power, heat, exotic fuels, torques, and RPM's that the professional racer does.

Jason,

Here's how I would rate prospective non-custom weekend racing oils if they were off-the-self or could be obtained easily through a rep: 1 - Excellent, 2 Very Good, 3. sufficient.

1. Redline
2. Shaeffer's #705
3. Amsoil/Mobil 1 TS or SS in 20W50 or 15W50.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
The only example I know of which cites the results you mentioned ... is Mobil's own million dollar advertising campaign.
rolleyes.gif

Actually that 200K mile test appears in an SAE Technical Paper #951026

I'd like to see them do new tests on the SuperSyn just so we'd know how it compares to the TriSynth. I wonder if Mobil 1 is confident enough to run those tests again?

Thats a good question. I assume they are already running the tests or have run them. What we don't know is what are the results. If we don't see some new 'hype' in the near future other than the supersyn rhetoric we may assume its not so hot.
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Thats a good question. I assume they are already running the tests or have run them. What we don't know is what are the results. If we don't see some new 'hype' in the near future other than the supersyn rhetoric we may assume its not so hot.
confused.gif

Hopefully the stuff turns out to be ok, I know a lot of people who use it, and will never switch no matter how much I try to convince them that there are other oils available to them. My father is one of them, he's used Mobil 1 for years and has no plans on switching, it's so easy for him to go out and grab Mobil 1 since it's so readily available everywhere.

I'll reserve judgement until I see some analysis results. I'm up to 3500 on the Tri, so another month and I'll pull it for my baseline. M1 Supersyn for 5k, then Schaeffers.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
I'll reserve judgement until I see some analysis results. I'm up to 3500 on the Tri, so another month and I'll pull it for my baseline. M1 Supersyn for 5k, then Schaeffers.

I probably don't have to mention this, but make sure you drive the car hard so we can see how these oils perform when put up to the ultimate stress test! Burn some rubber!

burnout.gif

My driving patterns.
1200-2000 miles per month. 800 miles of HEAVY city traffic with say 2 WOT 0-90 blasts per day. The rest is highway with average 80 mph speed and plenty of WOT passes(I love the sound of my engine). About 30-60 miles of that highway at 100-120(Speed kills... mileage)
grin.gif

I really believe that babying an engine is at least as bad if not worse than having fun with it.

[ July 25, 2002, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

JJubla, "Would those ratings for Racing oils be your choice for best wear protection in non-racing applications?"

I may be hanging out my atoms here, but no.
grin.gif

The racing oils usually have less detergent/dispersant levels than I like to see for a street machine.

For non-racing apps. I would use the proper viscosity oil stated for the engine, and my preference for everyday, non racing is an SAE 10W30 Oil, assuming your owner's manual allows that high a viscosity (most do for >than 0F). Upon further investigation of the anti-wear/FM additive package in Schaeffer's, my experience with Amsoil 10W30 (see Oil Analysis Thread), and the technical papers from Mobil, I would consider using the Schaeffer's #700 series, the Amsoil 10W30 ATM, or the Mobil 1 SuperSyn, 10W30.

And if you use any of these, please do a used oil analysis and post your results so we can see do a comparitive analysis.

Vaderss, "I really believe that babying an engine is at least as bad if not worse than having fun with it."

I'm with you. After the first 100 miles on a new vehicle (or after break-in on a rebuilt engine), I change to my current pet oil and then drive the vehicle as if it had 50,000 miles on it.

Thanks,

Will be buying some Schaeffer's Blend soon. Schaeffer's strikes a good balance between longevity and good price, IMHO. I particularly appreciate the intelligent marketing as well as the quality of the product.

Don't need an all Group IV base oil that will outlast the additive package by a wide margin. Just don't have the courage to leave an oil in the crankcase that long anyway.

I will start to lengthen change intervals with analysis from Terry Dyson.
grin.gif

[ July 25, 2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back