Mobil 1 in a diesel?? (or dino juice for diesel's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm debating what oil to use in my John Deere Yanmar powered diesel tractors.

I've been using Mobil 1 since it exceeds API CD as required by JD. I'm now wondering if one of the dino oils designed for diesel engines would be better such as Delo, Longlife, or Rotella.

Given a choice of Mobil 1 or "Dino for diesel", which would be better??

(Yes, I know the boutique oils like Delvac 1, Redline 15W40, etc would be the best but they're not available locally and I'm not into mail order oil - end of story).

I am of the opinion that if the viscosity is correct, and the oil isnt seeing any abnormal uties (extreme cold, extreme load, etc.) that a dino with a superior additive package is best. Obviosuly a CI-4 rated oil will have better detergency and dispeceancy than a CF rated oil.
Diesel oils have another feather in their cap in that they are designed for large, powerful engines, and so are a bit more robust. I remember reading somewhere on here that a 15w-40 dino diesel oil could pretty easily spec ACEA A3/B3-02, which means tht it is a very capable oil.
Of course if your tractor will be starting at -10F, you might want to use a synth at least part of the time. But for general use, without extended drains, and not full load all the time, I cant see any good reason to spend $$$ on synthetics when a couple of the diesel oils are so good.
I like pennzoil long life because it has that good base oil that has good cold characteristics and a nice shot of Moly. Delo also has a really good base oil, minus the moly... Modil delvac has a bit of moly, but as I recall, its cold flow properties arent as good...

I do use delvac 1 in my diesel in the wintertime, but next year Ill do half delvac 1 half delvac 1300. Diesels do make a lot of soot and no matter what, Im of the opinion its best to get it out of the crankcase as often as possible.

I use Longlife and delvac, because in my car, Ive found they give me better MPG. That may not be as bog of an issue in the tractor, but its FYI.

JMH

[ April 30, 2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

Dave,
A few years ago on Yanmar diesel generators the rule of thumb was to use a 15W40 oil for a 1-3 quart capacity and a straight 30W for any 8+ quart capacity.
I would recommend 15W40 Delvac 1300S, Delo 400, or Pennzoil Long Life. I personally do not like Mobil I in any diesel even with the CF rating. I think a CI rated 15W40 will fill the bill for you.
I did not recommend anything that wasn't OTC, and all are available at Wal-Mart.

I would not use Mobil 1 in a diesel engine without analysis.

Take a look at a virgin oil analysis posted by dragboat. He analyzed some 0w-40 John Deere oil that looked pretty good.

Sprintman,
I think that you should come to Lithgow.

No-one here has Delvac 1, and it took the local depot 3 weeks to find it.

(Actually, I think they don't give a toss about customers with out of the ordinary questions. It took me half an hour to convince them that Mobil 1 0W-40 actually existed).

Next time I'm after Delvac 1, I'll get Dad to bring it up from Canberra.

Delvac 1300 is everywhere but I haven't seen one sighting of Delvac 1 in the US.

I know I could order it from a fuel wholesaler but it's just not worth all the hassle. I'm surprised Mobil can't get any retailers to stock Delvac 1.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Every Mobil servo in Australia has Delvac 1, is it not so in the U.S? Strange as it's a U.S company??

Shannow I guess I havn't been to Lithgow but I agree about Mobil, their employees are an embarrassment. A guy at the local Mobil disty even abused me when I went looking for Supersyn version of Mobil 1. Big differnce with BP. I called BP techline and the tech guy talks PAO, Group IV etc etc when I query him on Visco 5000 (magic on a Timken by the way).

I'd recommend a "CI-4" rated, HD diesel oil like Delo 400 or Delvac 1300. I think mobil 1 is marginal for use in diesel engines.

TooSlick

Thanks. I decided to buy Pennzoil Longlife 15W40 and it meets CI-4. It's also got moly!!

Wally World also had Rotella synthetic and I was tempted to get it but I belive it's hydrocracked Group III and I'm not sure if it has the moly content of Pennzoil. (it was also double the price)

At least the Pennzoil is cheap enough ($5.77/gal) that I can change it annually. (my tractors don't even come close to hitting JD's oil change recommendation in a 12 month period.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back