2024 6.7 Cummins - Looking for an oil recommended

If a 40grade is allowed in winter it's perfectly aloud in summer flat out truth.
What he’s saying is his trucks run better and last longer on 10-30 his fleet of 2021s average mileage for those is 500,000 miles. And I understand where you’re coming from as well the 5-40 can do both

What he’s saying is his trucks run better and last longer on 10-30 his fleet of 2021s average mileage for those is 500,000 miles. And I understand where you’re coming from as well the 5-40 can do both
if you are talking about PD diesel on youtube. he has basically liquidated his fleet of 2022+ trucks. he can’t get them to last regardless of the oil used but IIRC he has had the best luck with 10w-30. he runs Schaffer products and runs extended drains pulling heavy.

Last edited:
if you are talking about PD diesel on youtube. he has basically liquidated his fleet of 2022+ trucks. he can’t get them to last regardless of the oil used but IIRC he has had the best luck with 10w-30. he runs Schaffer products and runs extended drains pulling heavy.
Yep the 22s for some reason are lemons could it be a covid supply chain problem or lack of quality workmanship because of business shutting down during that time? Maybe.

Yep the 22s for some reason are lemons could it be a covid supply chain problem or lack of quality workmanship because of business shutting down during that time? Maybe.
Yeah the workers that didn’t get layed off were pissed because the ones that were layed off made more money sitting at home and didn’t have to pay their rent or mortgage payments.
That state of affairs is the subject for another time.
Does anyone know how to tell when the engine was built by the serial number on it?

Yeah the workers that didn’t get layed off were pissed because the ones that were layed off made more money sitting at home and didn’t have to pay their rent or mortgage payments.
That state of affairs is the subject for another time.
Does anyone know how to tell when the engine was built by the serial number on it?
I previously went to the Cummins website and put my engine serial number in the system and it gave me assembly date for the engine itself. I think mine was two months earlier than the truck assembly date out of Saltillo.

"ISB: The dataplate is typically located on the engine rocker cover, but may be located on the side of the gear housing. The engine serial number and CPL provide data for ordering parts and service.
NOTE: ISB engines are produced worldwide. The data plates used on engines may differ in appearance and location of information.
NOTE: If the engine dataplate is not readable, the engine serial number can be identified on the engine block on top of the lubricating oil cooler housing. Additional engine information is available by reading the ECM dataplate."

Last edited:
I previously went to the Cummins website and put my engine serial number in the system and it gave me assembly date for the engine itself. I think mine was two months earlier than the truck assembly date out of Saltillo.

"ISB: The dataplate is typically located on the engine rocker cover, but may be located on the side of the gear housing. The engine serial number and CPL provide data for ordering parts and service.
NOTE: ISB engines are produced worldwide. The data plates used on engines may differ in appearance and location of information.
NOTE: If the engine dataplate is not readable, the engine serial number can be identified on the engine block on top of the lubricating oil cooler housing. Additional engine information is available by reading the ECM dataplate."
Thank you sir.

Hey Guys,

New to maintaining a modern diesel, and not the oil expert many on this forum are.

I have a new 2024 Cummins 6.7 with 600 miles on it. Although I don't need to change the oil yet, I want to get my stockpile built up.

I was planning to run Rotella T6 5w40 in this truck, but I've read some feedback on this forum that doesn't paint a good picture of that oil.

I'm currently driving this truck as a city daily driver, but will be pulling a 16k 5th wheel 2-3x a year, and will pull a 25ft gooseneck with a skidsteer about the same.

I'm planning to change oil every 5k miles to try and mitigate any dilution issues caused by the city driving.

Located in Texas, and we get below freezing 1-2x a year.

Manual calls for 10w-30 or 5w40 only. Im honestly not sure what weight would do better in this motor.

I'm hoping to avoid boutique oils, as I'll be changing pretty frequently, but would defer to the experts.

Anyone have any thoughts/feedback?

Will only be using Mopar or Fleetguard filters.
My master tech has one and has been using Delvac Extreme 10w30 and been very happy with it. It's not too pricey either.

Back