which Mobil oil for Nissan td42t

I have an old '00 Nissan Patrol with a turbocharged 4.2 litre, ohv, precombustion chambered, 6 cylinder diesel.
Jaso dh1 oil was specced in the day. It is an old STD so I am searching for an oil for this sooty old engine.
Rimula r4 x would be great as it meets dh1. Hard to find where I live.
Mobil I can get hold of.
the top 2 (full protection and extreme defence) exceed the requirements of dh2, the bottom 1 (super defence) exceeds dh1.
Is there any advantage using the top 2?
It is an old design engine that loads the oil with soot so it is changed along with filters every 5k km.
Previously used caltex delo 400 and then castrol rx j-max.
It has 290k km on it. They do 500k km regularly if looked after.
I am no oil expert, just want it to last.
Given I am changing it after so few kms perhaps the dh1 goer will do?

I have an old '00 Nissan Patrol with a turbocharged 4.2 litre, ohv, precombustion chambered, 6 cylinder diesel.
Jaso dh1 oil was specced in the day. It is an old STD so I am searching for an oil for this sooty old engine.
Rimula r4 x would be great as it meets dh1. Hard to find where I live.
Mobil I can get hold of.
the top 2 (full protection and extreme defence) exceed the requirements of dh2, the bottom 1 (super defence) exceeds dh1.
Is there any advantage using the top 2?
It is an old design engine that loads the oil with soot so it is changed along with filters every 5k km.
Previously used caltex delo 400 and then castrol rx j-max.
It has 290k km on it. They do 500k km regularly if looked after.
I am no oil expert, just want it to last.
Given I am changing it after so few kms perhaps the dh1 goer will do?
Looks like the extreme is rated CI-4? The Delvac oils are great options if you have the readily available.

Hi, great to hear from an Antipodean. I've been to Darwin but had no idea where Bendigo is. Add a few photos of it to your post if you can. I had an old Volvo diesel years ago and ran it mostly on Shell Rotella Heavy Duty 15W-40. The engine liked it. That's a popular oil here in the US for diesels. Maybe you could find some of that otherwise we have Amsoil here but it is pricey. The shipping cost to Oz might make that uneconomical. You could proably find some Castrol or asian brand like Idemitsu that would work.

rotella.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the extreme is rated CI-4? The Delvac oils are great options if you have the readily available.
No idea of what CI4 means with respect to my engine.
This is a very old design engine that is indirect injection (precombustion chambers) with the piston rings a fair way down from the crown of the piston. My understanding is that it loads the oil heavily with soot, hence 2 large oil filters and short oil change intervals.
JASO is the spec I am interested for this Japanese diesel with a high soot load.

Hi, great to hear from an Antipodean. I've been to Darwin but had no idea where Bendigo is. Add a few photos of it to your post if you can. I had an old Volvo diesel years ago and ran it mostly on Shell Rotella Heavy Duty 15W-40. The engine liked it. That's a popular oil here in the US for diesels. Maybe you could find some of that otherwise we have Amsoil here but it is pricey. The shipping cost to Oz might make that uneconomical. You could proably find some Castrol or asian brand like Idemitsu that would work.

View attachment 158506
3000 km+ south from Darwin. Cold this time of year but I much prefer the Summers here to Darwin. Lived in Alice Springs for 15 years and spent a bit of time in Darwin. 👍

This is a very old design engine that is indirect injection (precombustion chambers) with the piston rings a fair way down from the crown of the piston. My understanding is that it loads the oil heavily with soot, hence 2 large oil filters and short oil change intervals.
JASO is the spec I am interested for this Japanese diesel with a high soot load.
That Delvac CK-4 "Modern" "Full Protection" would be my suggestion along with what the other poster suggests Shell Rotella T4 & Change frequently.

CI-4 is an very old specification for Diesel engines.

That Delvac CK-4 "Modern" "Full Protection" would be my suggestion along with what the other poster suggests Shell Rotella T4 & Change frequently.

on the oil finder (year 2000 nissan patrol td42t) that oil is not listed as a compliant oil.
I got 40ltrs of "extreme defence"
I could have gotten Shell Rimula R4 X elsewhere but more expensive and had to wait. It is changed frequently anyway. I am sure it'll be fine

Had a Nissan Navara with the TD27 engine,basically a 4 cylinder version of the TD42.I used to change the oil every 5,000kms using a 15w40.When we in NZ changed to ULSD I discovered the oil change interval can easily be extended to 10,000km.I also started using a C3 oil and oil sampling.The results were outstanding,the last oil change before I sold the ute I took out to 20,000 km and could have carried on further.These engines are tough and don't appear to care what oil you use.Don't over fuel it and it will last for years.

Back