Mobil 1 HM 10w30 - 5,200 miles - Mazda Millenia S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1999 Mazda Millenia S with the Lysholm supercharged 2.25L KL-ZEM Miller Cycle V6. I'm a little concerned with the high chrome reading. I'm not sure what to make of the sodium. My coolant level has been rock solid for over a year. Before the M1 High-Mileage, I used SuperTech 10w30 in it for less than 2,000 miles. The M1 was in use for about six months with a Mobil 1 filter. The last few months have involved one-way six-mile highway trips four times a day. The engine is currently using 1.5 quarts of oil every 5,000 miles.

uoa_mazda_millenia.jpg

Hmmm....interesting, I don't know what to tell you about the Chromium. As far as the sodium, if you browse through the VOA section, there is a VOA that I posted a few months ago, on this exact oil, M1 HM 10w-30 (current fill for me)and the sodium level was around 8 ppm. It is interesting that your coolant level hasn't been an issue, as I know that Blackstone has indicated that some formulas also use silicone. I do not know much about coolant formulation, so I couldn't help you there, just going by what I've read and seen reported and suggested.

The other question, I would have, also related to information I've read on this site; your location is "southern midwest", is that anyplace exactly that gets enough snow or ice that they need to put salt on the roads? I've heard that that can cause a spike in sodium levels. I am sure someone else will chime in here with more knowledge than I on these subjects, but just wanted to throw out the thoughts I had when I read this thread. Good luck with that.

Being an older SuperCharged engine, I'd change the oil more often.

How many miles are on this vehicle/engine?

Last edited:
I've never used any fuel additives. I've mostly been using 91-octane Shell gasoline. Sometimes 10% ethanol, sometimes no ethanol. Road salt is rarely used here. Car currently has 105,000 miles.

I saw your "tranny" post, but have you used ARX in the Mazda's sump?

I'd try using some MMO or LUCL in the fuel (or both), every other fill-up or so, and see if there's any improvement shown on your next OA.

Just wanted to add & ask...

I believe you may benefit from using a robust 5w-30. MaxLife's conv/syn blend or the Havoline DS, along with a 4,000 mile (maybe even 5,000 mile) OCI's, may fare you well.

Do you ever see it smokin' on start-up?

I'm running through an ARX cleaning treatment right now along with some Exxon Superflow 10w30. I don't have any start-up smoke. After the rinse phase, I plan on switching to a good 5w30 synthetic over the winter and follow up with a second ARX treatment in the spring (with a UOA on the 5w30).

I thought 5,000 mile OCIs with a synthetic oil might be a little excessive for this car. Is there something in the UOA result that suggests shortening my OCIs (besides the chromium level)?

If you're still seeing Na after the ARX rinse phase, you have a slow coolant leak. I think the high level of total solids is simply a reflection of the amount of blow-by into the crankcase, as evidenced by your significant oil consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back