Mobil 1 FS 0w40, RAM 1500 5.7L HEMI 6000 mi, high FE

Thanks for the pics, so, this is NOT the typical lifter failure situation, in your case the SADI cam wasn't properly hardened (clearly). Fascinating! I know there has been some talk of the cams also failing (spalling seems to be the most frequent complaint), not just the lifters and this is proof positive of that, based on your noting that the lifters were not seized up.

This is a 2016, correct?

Would love to see some pics of the lifters too, if you can manage it.

Also, I think we have a pretty good idea when this started to go sideways based on your UOA history.

Poor QC strikes again. It's amazing that the North American manu's went from producing bomb-proof roller motors in the 80's and 90's where you could recycle the lifters with a massive cam and they wouldn't bat an eye to all three majors having lifter issues with stock bumpsticks and the cams themselves (at least these SADI ones) are GM's improperly hardened broomsticks all over again. Pretty sad.
Wonder how many of these are out there??

I guess you are lucky to have gotten this many miles out of that engine. It seems to me that if the metal was not hardened properly, it wouldn't last that long. MB had some balance shaft gears not properly hardened for about a year and a half and it showed up well below 100k. Don't buy an 06-07 Mercedes V6.

So is the consensus here 1) lubrication-related or 2) manufacturer's defect related?

I guess you are lucky to have gotten this many miles out of that engine. It seems to me that if the metal was not hardened properly, it wouldn't last that long. MB had some balance shaft gears not properly hardened for about a year and a half and it showed up well below 100k. Don't buy an 06-07 Mercedes V6.
Depends on how defective the hardening is as to how long it takes to happen. It's the same issue with the lifters (improper heat treatment/hardening) and there's quite the range on how long it takes to propagate depending on how far off from where it's supposed to be, the hardening is.

Would be interesting to know the COO of the lifters and cams from the period where this was more prevalent (which the OP's falls under). It could be China, could be Mexico...etc.

Federal Mogul used to make the roller lifters for Ford back in the 80's/90's IIRC, and those things were invincible. The offshoring and declining QC with a lot of this stuff is really depressing as manufacturers scramble to deal with it after the fact once the defects are discovered.

Yes it’s easy, these are non MDS lifters going in so I will disable it in HP tuners
I hope you don’t have emissions testing in your area. Any tune will result in a CVN change and it will be detected during the inspection; in CA that is an automatic fail.

Between this and the fact that going to non-MDS lifters doesn’t materially improve reliability, I personally don’t see the point.

I hope you don’t have emissions testing in your area. Any tune will result in a CVN change and it will be detected during the inspection; in CA that is an automatic fail.

Between this and the fact that going to non-MDS lifters doesn’t materially improve reliability, I personally don’t see the point.
You just flash back to stock for the test. They aren't failing you as long as the tune isn't on at time of inspection.

Well aware of this.

You can’t use the MDS lifters with the camshaft I selected (comp 224/234.)

Maybe I'm missing something; but MDS is probably never active when a test is in progress, because at idle MDS never activates and under any kind of a load the engine needs 8 cylinders anyway.

The "tune" doesn't have to be related to power, you can just use the software to turn off MDS and leave everything else untouched (as far as I know anyway).

Maybe I'm missing something; but MDS is probably never active when a test is in progress, because at idle MDS never activates and under any kind of a load the engine needs 8 cylinders anyway.

The "tune" doesn't have to be related to power, you can just use the software to turn off MDS and leave everything else untouched (as far as I know anyway).
When the ECM calibration is changed in any way, the CVN will change. This will be detected during emissions inspection.

Most emission testing is just plugging into the OBD port now. Needs to see all monitors complete.

When the ECM calibration is changed in any way, the CVN will change. This will be detected during emissions inspection.
Diablosport intune i3 tunes are actually carb certified, so the change in CVN will likely pass if you shut off MDS and MDS only in hp tuners. It isn’t a fail if the CVN doesn’t match factory config, it’s a fail if the CVN doesn’t a state approved CVN.

Obviously, a cam will require more tuning than just this. A lot more.

Will the truck run on the stock tune with this cam? Probably. Will it run well and not set VVT codes? Not likely.

Back