Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 and BMW Long Life 04

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, last year I used this oil in my BMW 320d F31 because it had Long Life 04 specification ;)

I bought this same oil last week (for another car) and I noticed that this specification is gone :eek:

- looking on the internet you can find photos of bottles with the specification and others, newer, without -

I wonder, what does this specification consist of? Why was it there before and now it has been removed?

Thanks in advance, i don't know how i would do without you :geek:

Thank you for the answers. Are therefore only commercial agreements. 💸

I also ask this, I am sure that for a time this oil also had the BMW Long Life 04 specification.

Could this be okay too?

Would it be better?

What would you do?

Thanks

The old one was 'ESP Formula' was made in France and had LL04. I don't know if the newer 'ESP' which is made in USA has ever had it.

I also would use it without a concern.

I read this..

I wouldn't hesitate to continue using it.
Mobil1 dropped all BMW LL approvals. Reason is updated in 2018 (Mobil1 dropped earlier in 0W40 FS as they knew what update will be).
IMO, Mobil1 has higher oxidation than other oils (they do have esters in oil) and BMW made oxidation requirements in new update ridiculously high.
I would use it in 320d. But not in N16/20/26 as new update has specific timing chain test designed around those engines.

Mobil1 dropped all BMW LL approvals. Reason is updated in 2018 (Mobil1 dropped earlier in 0W40 FS as they knew what update will be).
IMO, Mobil1 has higher oxidation than other oils (they do have esters in oil) and BMW made oxidation requirements in new update ridiculously high.
I would use it in 320d. But not in N16/20/26 as new update has specific timing chain test designed around those engines.
So, no Redline? :ROFLMAO:

Here's what I would do, 👇 but to me it seems like all your intersted in, is shaking hands with tig.

1613784150764.png

Last edited:
Any of those two.

It may seem like a simple question to you but I want to learn :)
  • Staying between Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 and Mobil 1 ESP 0W40

I ask you based on what you would choose one or the other.
    Beyond the fact that now neither oil has the BMW longlife 04 specification anymore, but as mentioned above, both oils have similar specifications from other manufacturers.

Logically I would say that the 0w40 is better because it is smoother in cold starts and more protective when racing although I will use more gas but, up to now, I haven't seen any big differences. However I see that the oils you recommended are all 5W30... 🤔

Beyond the fact that now neither oil has the BMW longlife 04 specification anymore, but as mentioned above, both oils have similar specifications from other manufacturers.

Logically I would say that the 0w40 is better because it is smoother in cold starts and more protective when racing although I will use more gas but, up to now, I haven't seen any big differences. However I see that the oils you recommended are all 5W30... 🤔
Are you racing? Bcs. if you do, you need something else. But, my choice would be 5W30 for regular street driving.

Are you racing? Bcs. if you do, you need something else. But, my choice would be 5W30 for regular street driv
Regular street driving ;)
Stick to 5W30.

Hi guys, last year I used this oil in my BMW 320d F31 because it had Long Life 04 specification ;)

I bought this same oil last week (for another car) and I noticed that this specification is gone :eek:

- looking on the internet you can find photos of bottles with the specification and others, newer, without -

I wonder, what does this specification consist of? Why was it there before and now it has been removed?

Thanks in advance, i don't know how i would do without you :geek:

Hi.
Can you purchase Petronas lubricants easily? I believe they are made in Italy. Their Petronas Syntium 500 DM carries BMW LL04 Approval.

Also Selenia Multipower C3 has a listing for BMW LL04. Not sure if it is an actual approval.

Hope this may be of use for you finding a product.

edyvw said:
Stick to 5W30.
Can I ask you why? so I can understand your reasoning :)
Thank you very much
Here's why.
1) 5W-30 is sufficient for your climate. It's temperature range is from -30°C to 30°C
2) 5W-30 oil has less VII's also referred to as VM's (viscosity modifiers) than viscosity grade like 0W-40 and that amounts to this:
Lower VII = Less engine and turbocharger deposits

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back