Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 and BMW Long Life 04

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask you why? so I can understand your reasoning :)
Thank you very much
Several practical issues:
1. You are living in a region that does not get that cold. Even if you lived in Italian Alps, you would be fine. While 5W30 cold cranking simulation test is done at -30, that does not mean it cannot start at -50. As for Milan, there is really no difference in starting between two oils.
2. However, for winter 5W30 is actually better. KV100 is lower, and more importantly KV40 is lower. That means there is less parasitic loss at oil temperature of 40c. You drive 4cyl diesel, and they are notoriously slow to warm up. So you actually want thinner oil. It is highly unlikely that in winter your engine will warm up above 100-110c.
3. 5W30 will have lower Noack.
4. More shear stable.

So, don’t understand what you trying to say here?
I do and you do too.
But you keep fluffing your feathers like a rooster before the fight which raises your ego to unhealthy level.

What are you challenging and nagging me about that I don't understand what I said to OP, that the 5W-30 multi-grade oil will perform well in his climate and is designed to operate at temperatures as low as -30° and as high as 30°C?
So what are your comments and questions to me exactly about?

Last edited:
I do and you do too.
But you keep fluffing your feathers like a rooster before the fight which raises your ego to unhealthy level.

What are you challenging and nagging me about that I don't understand what I said to OP, that the 5W-30 multi-grade oil will perform well in his climate and is designed to operate at temperatures as low as -30° and as high as 30°C?
So what are your comments and questions to me exactly about?
Again, you just stated that 0W20 will operate in Phoenix if cooling system is OK.
WHere did you get idea that 5W30 operates as high as 30c?
Ego? It is not ego, it is that you have no idea what you talking about and contradicting yourself.

Again, you just stated that 0W20 will operate in Phoenix if cooling system is OK.
WHere did you get idea that 5W30 operates as high as 30c?
Ego? It is not ego, it is that you have no idea what you talking about and contradicting yourself.
How would you like me to worded it?
Let me try one more time.
5W-30 functions successfully in climate with high seasonal temperature variations such as -30¯C and 30°C.
Will that do for you?

Another good oil is PP Euro L, or LX if you can find it.

The L is 5w30, the LX is 0W30. I've used both and my motors were happy with it.

+1 on the Motul X-Clean as that's what currently in the sump, doing a great job.

Another good oil is PP Euro L, or LX if you can find it.

The L is 5w30, the LX is 0W30. I've used both and my motors were happy with it.

+1 on the Motul X-Clean as that's what currently in the sump, doing a great job.
Penzoil brand does not exist in Europe. It i Shell Helix ECT.
Shell retained Pennzoil brand for US, but in reality it is just repackaged Shell.

I live in Italy and the temperature in winter is around 0 degrees centigrade 🥶 and in summer 30/35 degrees centigrade 🥵.

Is it true that a 5W30 oil protects up to 30 degrees centigrade? :oops:

I live in Italy and the temperature in winter is around 0 degrees centigrade 🥶 and in summer 30/35 degrees centigrade 🥵.

Is it true that a 5W30 oil protects up to 30 degrees centigrade? :oops:
No. It protects up to anything that your cooling system can cool off. Ambient temperature is not as big deal in cooling engine as altitude.
Your oil temperature is regulated by engine cooling system. Your engine has fluid to fluid heat exchanger. Reason it is there is for coolant to warm up oil as fast as possible (coolant warms up faster), but also to cool off oil as much as possible (coolant exchanges heat through radiator much more efficiently than oil). Your oil temperature will follow your coolant temperature very closely.
People think that ambient temperature play role as it affects cooling capabilities. Engines are designed with extreme temperatures in mind. What will affect cooling is if you drive in Italian alps above 2,500m above sea level as heat exchange with air is less efficient bcs. air is thinner. Your temperature will be higher. But nothing close to dangerous. Worry when oil temperature gets to 150c, which will never happen in your engine on street even if it is 50c outside.

No. It protects up to anything that your cooling system can cool off. Ambient temperature is not as big deal in cooling engine as altitude.
Your oil temperature is regulated by engine cooling system. Your engine has fluid to fluid heat exchanger. Reason it is there is for coolant to warm up oil as fast as possible (coolant warms up faster), but also to cool off oil as much as possible (coolant exchanges heat through radiator much more efficiently than oil). Your oil temperature will follow your coolant temperature very closely.
People think that ambient temperature play role as it affects cooling capabilities. Engines are designed with extreme temperatures in mind. What will affect cooling is if you drive in Italian alps above 2,500m above sea level as heat exchange with air is less efficient bcs. air is thinner. Your temperature will be higher. But nothing close to dangerous. Worry when oil temperature gets to 150c, which will never happen in your engine on street even if it is 50c outside.
Thank you for your reply, you are very helpful.

I have always thought that 5W30 oils were used for fuel economy reasons at the expense of engine protection.

Following your thought you wouldn't even consider this oil, right?

Thank you for your reply, you are very helpful.

I have always thought that 5W30 oils were used for fuel economy reasons at the expense of engine protection.

Following your thought you wouldn't even consider this oil, right?

It is excellent oil, but really no need. I would just go M1 ESP 5W30.
Those 5W30 oils LL04 are not about fuel economy.

It is excellent oil, but really no need. I would just go M1 ESP 5W30.
Those 5W30 oils LL04 are not about fuel economy.
Thank you edyvw, I admit that the subject fills me and I like it very much. :D

I would like to understand how do you say that an oil is "excellent" or not good? parameters do you look at? experience?

Based on what do you say I don't need the Motul 5w40?

I finished the questions then 😅

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back