Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 and BMW Long Life 04

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil1 dropped all BMW LL approvals. Reason is updated in 2018 (Mobil1 dropped earlier in 0W40 FS as they knew what update will be).
IMO, Mobil1 has higher oxidation than other oils (they do have esters in oil) and BMW made oxidation requirements in new update ridiculously high.
I would use it in 320d. But not in N16/20/26 as new update has specific timing chain test designed around those engines.
What would recommend for a B36/B38 Engine for auto crossing and on east coast, so climate from 0*F - 105*F?

What would you reco without auto cross?

Thanks!

What would recommend for a B36/B38 Engine for auto crossing and on east coast, so climate from 0*F - 105*F?

What would you reco without auto cross?

Thanks!
Anything LL01. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40, Motul X-Cess Gen2 5W40, Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 (available in Wal mart), Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle (Wal Mart).
If you can find BMW TPT 5W30 LL01, it is an excellent oil.

Thank you edyvw, I admit that the subject fills me and I like it very much. :D

I would like to understand how do you say that an oil is "excellent" or not good? parameters do you look at? experience?

Based on what do you say I don't need the Motul 5w40?

I finished the questions then 😅
up 😁

How would you like me to worded it?
Let me try one more time.
5W-30 functions successfully in climate with high seasonal temperature variations such as -30¯C and 30°C.
Will that do for you?
Even if there was an ambient temp limit, it wouldn't be 30C. That's 86F. Most of the US can easily exceed that during the summer. No one switches to 40 weight oil because they might encounter temps over 30C. I doubt you can find any owners manual that gives such a limit.

Hi everyone. First time poster here and sorry for reviving an old thread. My daily driver is an x3 with the dreadful n47d20a engine (i know i know) 😅. For the next oil change, i'm very tempted to get that mobil esp 5w30 since i can get it cheap enough with some rebates and despite the fact it doesn't have the ll-04 approval.
So my question is : for 5k kms/6months oci (whichever comes first) and under severe usage (non ulsd fuel, lots of city driving and traffic jam, short trips, no highway but some occasional spirited driving) is it worth getting an oil without the official approval? Btw, car is only at 40k kms, completely stock with dpf and egr on.
I have always used motul x-clean + 5w30 but it starts to get really expensive here with such short oci. Other oils sporting the ll-04 cert available in my country are motul x clean efe 5w30, total ineo mc3 5w30 and liqui "bad boy" moly 4200 5w30 but all of them are way more expensive than the mobil1, and yes, we do have shell gas station over here but they don't sell any low/mid saps oils.
Thanks.

Hi everyone. First time poster here and sorry for reviving an old thread. My daily driver is an x3 with the dreadful n47d20a engine (i know i know) 😅. For the next oil change, i'm very tempted to get that mobil esp 5w30 since i can get it cheap enough with some rebates and despite the fact it doesn't have the ll-04 approval.
So my question is : for 5k kms/6months oci (whichever comes first) and under severe usage (non ulsd fuel, lots of city driving and traffic jam, short trips, no highway but some occasional spirited driving) is it worth getting an oil without the official approval? Btw, car is only at 40k kms, completely stock with dpf and egr on.
I have always used motul x-clean + 5w30 but it starts to get really expensive here with such short oci. Other oils sporting the ll-04 cert available in my country are motul x clean efe 5w30, total ineo mc3 5w30 and liqui "bad boy" moly 4200 5w30 but all of them are way more expensive than the mobil1, and yes, we do have shell gas station over here but they don't sell any low/mid saps oils.
Thanks.
What interval does BMW recommend? 5k km is extremely short.

What interval does BMW recommend? 5k km is extremely short.
Afaik. When the car came out, bmw recommended 15k kms oci (or it was 30k kms) but since that particular engine is notorious for timing chain problems and upon reading some "specialized bimmer" forums :rolleyes:, i wouldn't take that risk. All that combined to the facts i already posted earlier (lots of short trips/idling, fuel quality) really sold me on the shorter oci.

Afaik. When the car came out, bmw recommended 15k kms oci (or it was 30k kms) but since that particular engine is notorious for timing chain problems and upon reading some "specialized bimmer" forums :rolleyes:, i wouldn't take that risk. All that combined to the facts i already posted earlier (lots of short trips/idling, fuel quality) really sold me on the shorter oci.
Okay well BMW revised the LL04 cert in 2018 to address chain wear. Perhaps stretch your OCI out to 10k km on LL04. 5k km just seems like throwing away perfectly good oil.

I believe the timing chain issues were primarily found in the N20 4-cyl gassers in pre-2013 cars. I frequent the BMW diesel forums quite a bit and there's not much talk about N47 engine timing chains failing prematurely; anecdotal at most.

Gentleman, I'd stick with the Motul oil you're currently using as it's a fantastic lube. I'd also extend the service interval to a comfortable 10k kms, and even that is short IMO. You're wasting perfectly good every 5k kms, no wonder it's getting expensive...

If you find that M1 ESP is cheaper and/or more readily available, use that with confidence as well. If it carries a trifecta of the four big Euro diesel mfr approvals (VW, MB, Porsche, BMW) you'll be just fine.

Thanks BMWTDzl and andreigbs for you answers.

I think I’m going to stick with the motul right now and try a 7.5k kms oci. Still, I’m quite intrigued by the esp 5w30 not sporting an ll-04 approval since it seems to be a very capable oil judging by the intrinsic quality of the base-oil(gtl, pao, ) and the di pack(tweaked infineum P6000 series with added moly compound) used. Imo, there is something more about it not getting an official cert. from bmw beside the “it oxidizes more” theory…. Maybe shell doing their sissy as they may provide the gtl parts to xom and somewhere inside their agreement includes “don’t put that ll-04 thingy” on the esp label since it’s competing directly with the “official oils” and xom going like "Ok then, let's put the ll-04 thingy on non gtl oils like super 3000" :ROFLMAO:

Thanks BMWTDzl and andreigbs for you answers.

I think I’m going to stick with the motul right now and try a 7.5k kms oci. Still, I’m quite intrigued by the esp 5w30 not sporting an ll-04 approval since it seems to be a very capable oil judging by the intrinsic quality of the base-oil(gtl, pao, ) and the di pack(tweaked infineum P6000 series with added moly compound) used. Imo, there is something more about it not getting an official cert. from bmw beside the “it oxidizes more” theory…. Maybe shell doing their sissy as they may provide the gtl parts to xom and somewhere inside their agreement includes “don’t put that ll-04 thingy” on the esp label since it’s competing directly with the “official oils” and xom going like "Ok then, let's put the ll-04 thingy on non gtl oils like super 3000" :ROFLMAO:
Yeah I'm sure that's it.

I thought the oxidation theory was about Longlife-01? Now you're saying it's also about Longlife-04? Wasn't that discussion about oils with a 0W winter rating?

Where in Madagascar do you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back