Mobil 1 ESP 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Interesting. It has GC'ish viscosity specs, but is low SAPS.

Kills two birds with one stone as in Europe such oil can be used in both modern diesel as well as gasoline engines. If this oil were to be offered in the US, it would only be allowed for diesel engines due to our differences in gasoline quality and emission standards.

The specs barely look different than M1 5w30 ESP if at all. I don't get it. Do European customers strongly favor a 0w30 in marketing terms?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
With that low 165 VI and lower phos' I'd prefer M1 0W-40 which will be lighter on start-up.

http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_ESP_0W-30.aspx

VI calculates to 179. With HTHS of 3.5, this could actually be an interesting oil. The mediocre TBN is because this is a low SAPS oil.

It's BMW LL-04 and MB 229.31/229.51/229.52. One of the very few oils to be approved for 229.52.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Has anyone seen this oil sold in a store?

It's not available in the US, AFAIK. But M1 ESP 5w-30 is available and appears to be very similar. PepBoys carries it. Amazon also.

Thanks Pete. I have used the 5W-30 version but it costs too much at Pep Boys, in my opinion, compared to other suitable oils bought in 5 qt. jugs at Walmart.

Thanks again, Pete. I used Valvoline MST 5W-40 once and subjectively, the engine felt like it was laboring more and gas mileage suffered compared to many other oils I've used. Strange but true.

JAG, what is your application?

All of these oils (Synpower 5w-40, M1 ESP 0w-30, M1 ESP 5w-30) are high HT/HS oils, and as such may negatively affect fuel economy and performance. I certainly wouldn't use such oils unless the application specifically required them.

Same goes for low SAPS - I wouldn't use a low SAPS oil unless my application specifically required it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back