Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it have an oil temp gauge? I believe that most Audi engines have a heat exchanger that would tend to make the oil gravitate to 100C/212F in a relatively short time (10 miles maybe).

If that's the case and you have one of these exchangers, keep in mind that after either so many miles ..or so many minutes of operation, you'll be at whatever visc that the oil is spec'd at. You won't be operating at 160-180F with a 30 weight in the winter (if you call what you have "winter"). So unless you have some startup issue (unlikely) I wouldn't necessarily think that switching to a lower visc in anything other than the most severely cold environment would be advised.

I usually offer exactly the opposite advice to short trippers without heat exchangers. They can usually go down a grade ..since they never warm the oil enough to have it reach its spec'd visc. Admittedly, short trip isn't the same (automatically) as "city".

M1 Truck and SUV(5w-40) supposedly is rebadged Del Vac 1 but cheaper and comes in qts and jugs at Wally World. Just threw 6 qts in the 6 liter(gas) Chevy 3/4 ton today with a M1 filter. Don't plan to change again until deer hunting season starts next year or 10K miles, whichever comes first(the deer or 10K). ;-)

quote:

Does it have an oil temp gauge? I believe that most Audi engines have a heat exchanger that would tend to make the oil gravitate to 100C/212F in a relatively short time (10 miles maybe).

I can confirm all that.

15W-40 summer (we have only two seasons here), if 10W-40 is still a no-no," as it was 20 years ago

A newly aquired car may benefit from M1 5w-40 T&SUV for a nice long interval to clean it up. otherwise, I'd use the 15w-40 all year or 10w-40 in winters to give the cats a break from the excess additives in 15w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back