Mobil 1 controversy on wikipedia.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again this proves how far rumors based on speculation, hearsay evidence and mass hysteria can spread on the internet.

Quote:

Once again this proves how far rumors based on speculation, hearsay evidence and mass hysteria can spread on the internet.

you forgot the simple "no we don't use Gr III" means of heading off all of those wild horses.

Wow.. I'm speechless.
shocked.gif
popcorn.gif

Yes, it appears a certain party or group is intent on goring ExxonMobil's ox with this Grp III issue.

If you follow the link to the Wikipedia page & click on edit at the Mobil 1 section & click edit history, the following will display:

(cur) (last) 03:45, 4 February 2007 65.88.98.232 (Talk) (→Mobil 1)
(cur) (last) 03:41, 4 February 2007 65.88.98.232 (Talk) (→Mobil 1)
(cur) (last) 05:41, 3 February 2007 65.88.100.253 (Talk) (→Mobil 1)
(cur) (last) 03:33, 3 February 2007 65.88.100.253 (Talk) (→Mobil 1)
(cur) (last) 03:20, 3 February 2007 65.88.100.253 (Talk) (→Mobil 1)

The IP addresses of the 2 computers used to insert& edit the section titled "Controversy" are 65.88.98.232 and 65.88.100.253 on February 3 & 4.

Note, these IP addresses are not logged in Wikipedia user names, so it looks like a one-time "guest" appearance.

What I would like to believe is that the 2 IP addresses do not also appear on the Bitog membership roster, but then again I sometimes hope for too much...

Backlash? A few thousand oil nerds is a backlash? The general public is busy watching a NASCAR race and they know that if it's good enough for NASCAR is the best oil there is.

In the "discussion" area we see:

"Don't try Mobil 1 on ice cream. Tastes yucky. Regular chocolate syrup is mucho better"

I thought my post woulda' been removed by now!!!!

Quote:

Backlash? A few thousand oil nerds is a backlash? The general public is busy watching a NASCAR race and they know that if it's good enough for NASCAR is the best oil there is.

The entire world used to believe the earth is flat also. Does it mean it IS really flat?

Am I just stupid or what? Because I've scanned that page over and over and see no reference to Group III or any controversies. Please tell me I'm just stupid.

[edit] Mobil 1
Mobil 1 was introduced in 1974. In 2002 Mobil 1 introduced "supersyn" anti-wear technology, followed by Mobil 1 Extended Performance in 2005 which increased the use of this technology further.

Controversy
In 2006, the results of a gas chromatography test on Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 were posted by an industry expert on the popular motor oil discussion website BITOG. It showed the oil to be primarily composed of a less expensive, Group III hydroprocessed mineral oil. Until this time, Mobil 1 was believed to be a true synthetic, utilizing a Group IV (PAO) basestock. The release of this information has led to a backlash against ExxonMobil's lubricant products in many automotive communities. Ironically, in 1999, Mobil fought Castrol's change in formulation to a Group III basestock in motor oils being marketed as fully synthetic. Mobil claimed that Castrol was decieving their customer base, while degrading their products. The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus eventually ruled that Castrol could continue to market their Syntec line as a fully synthetic motor oil. ExxonMobil currently refuses to comment on the primary basestock of their Mobil 1 series of oils.

Old Mobil logo

I couldn't see it. I wondered what everyone was talking about
dunno.gif
confused.gif

Here's what I see:

Quote:

Mobil 1 was introduced in 1974. In 2002 Mobil 1 introduced "supersyn" anti-wear technology, followed by Mobil 1 Extended Performance in 2005 which increased the use of this technology further.

ExxonMobil (through Mobil 1) is a major, long-term partner of the Formula One constructor Team McLaren Mercedes. As well as providing lubricants and fuel to McLaren, Mobil 1 is a major brand in Formula One, for example sponsoring Grands prix.

Here's what Sarge quoted:

Quote:

Controversy
In 2006, the results of a gas chromatography test on Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 were posted by an industry expert on the popular motor oil discussion website BITOG. It showed the oil to be primarily composed of a less expensive, Group III hydroprocessed mineral oil. Until this time, Mobil 1 was believed to be a true synthetic, utilizing a Group IV (PAO) basestock. The release of this information has led to a backlash against ExxonMobil's lubricant products in many automotive communities. Ironically, in 1999, Mobil fought Castrol's change in formulation to a Group III basestock in motor oils being marketed as fully synthetic. Mobil claimed that Castrol was decieving their customer base, while degrading their products. The National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus eventually ruled that Castrol could continue to market their Syntec line as a fully synthetic motor oil. ExxonMobil currently refuses to comment on the primary basestock of their Mobil 1 series of oils.

I still do not see that anywhere on that page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back