Mobil 1 base oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Are the plain Jane grades like M1 10W30 pure group 3 Visom base?

No they also contain PAO and probably AN. Again though this is limited information from the MSDS.

It is not sound to suggest people to add straight POE to their crankcase oil. Not only can POE cause damage to seals in incorrect mixtures, but POE causes significantly higher camshaft wear.

Originally Posted by ad_infinitum
It is not sound to suggest people to add straight POE to their crankcase oil. Not only can POE cause damage to seals in incorrect mixtures, but POE causes significantly higher camshaft wear.

Agree.

From the Mass Spec analysis on the Russian oils forums, all Mobil 1 oils contain AN, with the exception being the 0w-40 which also contains POE.

interesting for sure, but guessing oil formulators-blenders use only as much as a costlier base oil or additive to meet a spec as $$$$ rules. from reading even though PAO + Esters are superior very light viscosities have their limitations for sure.

Originally Posted by ad_infinitum

I wondered why that Mobil 1 Tri-Syn with POE didn't do well in my Suzuki!

- That darn cam chewing polyol-ester. (!?)

Folks here were lamenting little or no POE in formulations and I gave them a source for POE.

Did I ever state to make the complete sump POE? No.

I or 2 cups. No issues there - other than over solulising some constituents.

Some posters here talked me into putting LiquiMoly in my Honda year ago.
Killed that engine. Better go over and revive those old threads and set them straight.about putting a powdered suspension of MoS2 into motor oil.

For a professional courtesy I'll need a white paper on POE causing excessive camshaft wear. I do understand the seal softening and swelling mechanism.

Thanks.

Esters can compete for surface area with AW additives due to their polarity. This is why all oils are carefully balanced and run through engine testing to make sure they are actually preventing wear.
smile.gif

An understood mechanism.

Overbase Chalk compounds can also compete for surface area and that's why I've nixed using LL oils.

I will say whatever the formulation of the factory VW 508/509 CASTROL 0w20 is in my lease Jetta It's the cats meow!

It's so good I cant move myself to change it .

Over Six months on the factory fill and counting!

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Are the plain Jane grades like M1 10W30 pure group 3 Visom base?

No they also contain PAO and probably AN. Again though this is limited information from the MSDS.

Originally Posted by buster
Esters can compete for surface area with AW additives due to their polarity. This is why all oils are carefully balanced and run through engine testing to make sure they are actually preventing wear.
smile.gif

Very well put as XM states they do use some esters in their base

M1 0W40 In Australia

Mobil 1 0W-40 Value
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 40°C 75
@ 100°C 13.5
Viscosity Index 185
MRV at -40°C, cP (ASTM D4684) 31,000
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150°C, (ASTM D4683) 3.8
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 11.8
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.3
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981) 0.1
Flash Point, °C (ASTM D92) 230
Density @15.6 °C, g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85
—————
M1 0W40 In USA
Properties and Specifications

Property

​

Grade

SAE 0W-40

Ash, Sulfated, mass%, ASTM D874

Density @ 15 C, g/cm3, ASTM D4052

Flash Point, Cleveland Open Cup, °C, ASTM D92

Hi-Temp Hi-Shear Viscosity @ 150 C 1x10(6) sec(-1), mPa.s, ASTM D4683

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D445

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 C, mm2/s, ASTM D445

Mini-Rotary Viscometer, Apparent Viscosity, -40 C, mPa.s, ASTM D4684

Phosphorus, mass%, ASTM D4951

Total Base Number, mgKOH/g, ASTM D2896

Viscosity Index, ASTM D2270

——
Australia still users the older formula M1 0W40 which was previously used in North America (NA) but now NA uses M1 0W40 FS. When NA lost it's BMW LL-01 spec for a bit, Australia kept the spec.

So be careful when comparing Australian M1 to NA M1 or Europe M1. They are all good, but not necessarily the same.

Originally Posted by SR5
Australia still users the older formula M1 0W40 which was previously used in North America (NA) but now NA uses M1 0W40 FS. When NA lost it's BMW LL-01 spec for a bit, Australia kept the spec.

So be careful when comparing Australian M1 to NA M1 or Europe M1. They are all good, but not necessarily the same.

Hey there,

There is no such thing as Australian/North American/European/Walmart versions of the same Mobil 1 flavors as far as I know. From what I've known, it's all made in US in the same plants and exported. That non-FS Mobil 1 0w-40 you posted the specs for was discontinued a long time ago and replaced by the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. If you still see non-FS Mobil 1 0W-40 on the shelves there, it's probably very old stock. Copy the date code and let us know -- it's the plant number followed by the year and week and there is sometimes a formulation number as well. By the way FS simply means full-SAPS. This is as opposed to ESP (emissions systems protection), which is lower-SAPS. All currently produced Euro (ACEA) Mobil 1 oils carry either the FS or ESP label.

I looked at a couple of big Australian auto-parts-store sites and neither carries Mobil 1 0W-40 or FS 0W-40. It's possible that Mobil 1 0W-40 is no longer marketed over there but you could find this out better. That would be the reason why you don't see the spec sheet or the actual product for the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, which is the current version all over the world where the A3/B4 Mobil 1 0W-40 is sold.

Originally Posted by SR5
M1 0W40 In Australia

Mobil 1 0W-40 Value
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 40°C 75
@ 100°C 13.5
Viscosity Index 185
MRV at -40°C, cP (ASTM D4684) 31,000
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150°C, (ASTM D4683) 3.8
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 11.8
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.3
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981) 0.1
Flash Point, °C (ASTM D92) 230
Density @15.6 °C, g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85
—————
M1 0W40 In USA
Properties and Specifications

Property

​

Grade

SAE 0W-40

Ash, Sulfated, mass%, ASTM D874

Density @ 15 C, g/cm3, ASTM D4052

Flash Point, Cleveland Open Cup, °C, ASTM D92

Hi-Temp Hi-Shear Viscosity @ 150 C 1x10(6) sec(-1), mPa.s, ASTM D4683

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D445

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 C, mm2/s, ASTM D445

Mini-Rotary Viscometer, Apparent Viscosity, -40 C, mPa.s, ASTM D4684

Phosphorus, mass%, ASTM D4951

Total Base Number, mgKOH/g, ASTM D2896

Viscosity Index, ASTM D2270

——

The info on that site is ancient I'd wager. The MSDS search for Australia indeed yields the "FS" version of M1 0w-40, along with a "non-FS" version which appears identical when glanced at.

This is the current PDS for the Aussie M1 0w-40 which is indeed the "FS" product and has the same specs as the US (and ROW) one.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
This is the current PDS for the Aussie M1 0w-40 which is indeed the "FS" product and has the same specs as the US (and ROW) one.

I would edit the "current PDS for the Aussie M1 0W-40" as the "current Aussie PDS for the M1 0W-40."
wink.gif

Hi Guys,

Yes, I grabbed the Aust M1 data from here
https://www.m1oils.com.au/product/mobil-1-0w-40/

It could be out of date.

I will check what is on the actual shelves and report back.

When did they change formula on the 0W40 ?

BTW last time I saw it on the shelves it looked like this
https://www.repco.com.au/en/oils-fl...il-1-engine-oil-0w-40-5-litre/p/A9633910

But check out the price !!! $103 for 5L, so I don't buy M1, way too expensive.
The picture at Repco shows it was made in France and packed in Singapore.

Last edited:
Ah, there is a French/Singaporean M1 0W-40 after all! That's certainly not the version that was/is sold in US. I wonder if the actual formulation is different than the US-made version.

It feels like M1 FS 0W-40 appeared about three years ago. I think M1 FS 0W-40 itself also had at least one formulation change.

If you get the date code and formulation code on the bottle, someone can compare them to those here. It's dirt cheap here at $19.99 at Walmart for 5 US qt (4.73 L).

The date and formulation codes on ExxonMobil bottles look like this. 10214B14A reads plant 102, date of manufacture 2014 February (B = 2) 14, in that order. The revision number (formulation number) is 5953, which tells you what the actual formulation is. Note that the revision number (RN) only reflects the actual formulation and not the bottle or label.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back