Mobil 1 and specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 5&10W-30 are rated ACEA A1. Mobil 1 0w-40 is rated ACEA A3 which is suppose to be a higher rating. Why do the UOA of the 10w-30 show lower ware numbers than the higher rated 0w-40??

Thats a good question, one I've been wanting to ask. It might have to do with HT/HS. Mobil 1 0w-40 meets the long life MB spec but I'd have to say that Mobil 1 10w-30 is one of the greatest oils you can buy, bar none.

Where are the UOA's you're referring to? Are they in the same car with the same amount of miles under the same conditions?

ACEA A3 is not a "higher" rating than ACEA A1. It's a different rating. The two categories have different criteria that are mutually exclusive of each other. That is, an oil can't own ACEA A3 and A1.

Check out this thread: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000333

Includes a link to ACEA where you can read the specs in PDF format.

Just looked at Mobil's site. 10W-30 is rated A1 and A5. 0W-40 is rated A3. A1 and A5 apply to low friction, low viscosity oils with the A5 rating specifying that the oil be stable and stay in grade (see ACEA for the details). A3 is for a stable, low friction oil but of higher viscosity.

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
ACEA A3 is not a "higher" rating than ACEA A1. It's a different rating. The two categories have different criteria that are mutually exclusive of each other. That is, an oil can't own ACEA A3 and A1.

A3 doesn't have a fuel economy requirement and allows for 0.2% more sulfated ash max limit. Other than that, A3 ratings are superior to A1, and nothing says that an A3 oil can't have the fuel economy rating and the lower sulfated ash of A1 or A5. Look at 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, pages 5 & 6 of http://www.acea.be/ACEA/20020618PublicationsOilSequences.pdf

Ken

[ May 16, 2003, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:

A3 doesn't have a fuel economy requirement and allows for 0.2% more sulfated ash max limit. Other than that, A3 ratings are superior to A1, and nothing says that an A3 oil can't have the fuel economy rating and the lower sulfated ash of A1 or A5. Look at 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, pages 5 & 6 of http://www.acea.be/ACEA/20020618PublicationsOilSequences.pdf

Ken

The only differences between A3 and A5 are the HT/HS numbers and the fuel economy requirement (if I remember correctly.)

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
Then this would mean an oil could have an A1 rating and an A3 rating???

No. A1 oils can have a max HT/HS of 3.5, while A3 oils have to have an HT/HS of >3.5.

Thanks guys! I believe I have it now and much thanks to all of you
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back