Mobil 1 AFE 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
HT/HS is +150c

Op Temp is +100c

Two different measurement of two different things.

You forgot to comment on my post about Redline and GC having lower +100c visc with higher HT/HS, like PP does vs M1 AFE.

I guess they are bad oils like PP is.

Remember? PP = low visc and high HT/HS and M1 = high visc and low HT/HS.

Yawn.

Thinner at start up and higher HT/HS...you say that's bad.

lol, you should just run the whole forum from now on because everything we've done the last 8 years has been wrong, I guess.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
HT/HS is +150c

HT/HS is a viscosity measured at 150C, which is typical of the working surfaces of running engines at normal temps.

Quote:
Op Temp is +100c

Typical for oil in the pan.

Quote:
Two different measurement of two different things.

Two measurements of the same thing under different conditions.

Quote:
You forgot to comment on my post about Redline and GC having lower +100c visc with higher HT/HS, like PP does vs M1 AFE. I guess they are bad oils like PP is.

I would certainly not classify PP as a bad oil. I don't have Pennzoil-hate in the same way as you seem to have Mobil-hate. Lower and higher HTHS viscosities have pros and cons. The cons of lower HTHS can be alleviated with superior EP additives, leaving the pros. The cons of high HTHS oils are just there. Leaving the both pros and the cons. Not that the differences are huge. Pretty much all oils on the shelf are "good" oils, except maybe for Pitt-Penn, which admits right on the back panel that it's not a very good oil.

I consider PP 5w30 to be a low HTHS oil, BTW. About the same as M1 5w30 and M1 5w30 EP. M1 AFE 0w30 is a bit lower. which should result in a touch better fuel economy.

Quote:
Thinner at start up and higher HT/HS...you say that's bad
You seem to have a very black and white, us vs them view of things.

Quote:
you should just run the whole forum from now on because everything we've done the last 8 years has been wrong, I guess.

You should read these forums more carefully.

Last edited:
Ok, for the last time.

You're attributing .1cP lower HT/HS of M1 AFE to an increase in fuel economy, while ignoring the significantly lower kinematic visc of PP that is as much as HUNDREDS of cSt THINNER from cold start thru +100c and beyond.

Just checking.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: sbergman27

You should read these forums more carefully.

Reading and *understanding* are two different things.

That are several lubricant research papers that allude to 0w30 as a grade that is generally used in Europe and is almost always comprised of Gp IV and V base oils (GC 0w30). Most likely Mobil is on of these since they are both a supplier (chemical manufacturer) of these base oils and a lubricant formulator.

You're attributing .1cP lower HT/HS of M1 AFE to an increase in fuel economy, while ignoring the significantly lower kinematic visc of PP that is as much as HUNDREDS of cSt THINNER from cold start thru +100c and beyond.

I call bovine feces on that, unless you can provide a reference to support your "HUNDREDS of cSt THINNER from cold start thru +100c and beyond" claim. Amusingly, that would give PP 5w30 a negative viscosity in the 100's of cSt range. Quite a trick, that. (And may I say that the profanity filter on this board positively farcical.)

However, there is an actual mushroom growing in the feces. And that is that at 40C and 100C PP 5w30 does have slightly lower KV. Let's put some information up for convenient reference:

KV 40C (cSt) - M1:63.1 PP:57.5 -9%
KV 100C (cSt) - M1:11.0 PP:10.3 -6%
MRV - M1(-40C): 11,100 PP(-35C): 14,800 +33%
HT/HS(150C, mPas) - M1: 2.99 PP: 3.1 +4%

So PP is well over 33% thicker when very, very cold, about 9% thinner KV at 40C (104F), 6% thinner KV at 100C (212F), and 4% thicker at 150C (302F) under high shear conditions. Let's just dispense with the -35C to -40C performance, because I already know what you are going to say. And I pretty much agree for most locales.

The HT/HS number is known to dominate the friction equation after the engine has warmed up. As an example (and I can find more of them if you like) I submit this an except from "High-temperature, high-shear (HTHS) oil viscosity: Measurement and Relationship To Engine Operation", James A. Spearot.

You can safely skip to page 53 if the link doesn't take you there. This is a *really* good paper, BTW. You might want to read it all.

So clearly, HTHS is the dominant factor in a warm engine. And if you want to dispute that you are going to have to produce a credible study that contradicts my reference.

But what can we say about a cold engine, or one that has not reached operating temperature? Unfortunately, not much. There is no reason to think that the HS behavior does not dominate at lower temperatures, as well. (Consider the amount of energy being dissipated by the oil pump, where the KV value will dominate, compared to the bearings, and in particular, the rings against the cylinder walls, at low temperatures, where the HS value would dominate. It's hard to imagine that it's much.)

Unfortunately, we don't have much information to work with. HS is only readily available for a warm engine. We just don't have enough information to guess what it is at lower temperatures, except to say that it no doubt increases drastically, like KV does. Likely much more than KV does, since VI improvers do not play a part in it.

It might be tempting to try to use the 40C KV value to make some guesses. But we already know, from the study linked above, the pitfalls of that. Especially since the 0w30 is so much thinner than the 5w30 at very cold temperatures. At what point do they cross, I wonder? I would say that this is, unfortunately, too shaky ground for us to say much about performance during warm up.

So basically, the 0w30 would be expected to produce slightly better fuel economy in a warm engine. And we can't really say much about a cold one.

Fortunately, this situation still satisfies me, pretty much, because a typical drive for me is to get in the car in Oklahoma City, OK, drive, and then get out at a Motel 6 in Albuquerque, NM, 550 miles away. Maybe stopping for gas once.

Quote:
Just checking.
smirk2.gif

I'm wondering if the above might take the "smirk" off your face. My guess is that is won't. You'll likely just ignore all this and proceed blindly on with your Mobil-Hate campaign. Which is fine; I don't really care. Both M1 and PP are good products. And writing this up has been of great benefit to me, in and of itself.

Last edited:
MobilMan.jpg

This stuff tastes great and protects well under a variety of harsh conditions in a plethora of engines!

Originally Posted By: sbergman27
blah blah blah

Bzzt.

Check the kinematic visc of both oils below freezing and get back to us.

Do you know how to do that?

Bzzt. Check the kinematic visc of both oils below freezing and get back to us. Do you know how to do that?

It seems that Audi Junkie can't think of a proper response. Gotcha. And BTW, nice hand-waving.

We can extrapolate from the 40C and 100C numbers. But not accurately enough to compare a 0w30 with a 5w30 with any accuracy. And we know from the reference I posted, which you have not even attempted to dispute, the extrapolated KV numbers would not be relevant anyway. But... in the interest of humoring you... at -1C, I get about 555 cSt for the 0w30, and 492 for the 5w30. A difference of about 11%. But at -35C and -40C, where we have known data, the extrapolations are clearly so screwy that they not even worth posting. The relative results are even criss-crossed with each other.

Now... please stop your hand-waving over trivialities and respond properly to the arguments I made in my previous post. Assuming that you have a proper response, which I am beginning to doubt.

Last edited:
Well, getting all worked up isn't going to change the fact that a typical cold start at +23f with Mobil 1 0w-30 "Advanced Fuel Economy", the car is going down the road with oil that's 100cSt thicker than PP 5w-30.

That's not even very cold at all.

Readers can draw their own conclusions.

HTHS viscosity is affected by the temporary shear properties of the VI improver (compressibility), not permanent shear (breaking of large molecules).

Well, getting all worked up isn't going to change the fact that a typical cold start at +23f with Mobil 1 0w-30 "Advanced Fuel Economy", the car is going down the road with oil that's 100cSt thicker than PP 5w-30.

Staying within a brand, there is no denying that the Mobil 1 0W-30 is less viscous than the Mobil 1 5W-30:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-30_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.asp

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.asp

If that doesn't do what you want, there is always 0W-20:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-20_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.asp

Do you have some larger point to make?

To the extent that KV matters. (I get, through the uncertain extrapolation method, 653 cSt and 742 cSt at 23F. A 12% difference.) And it does. But only as a suggestion of what the HTHS, which we can actually consider to be the "true viscosity" of these oils, under the shear conditions which dominate, might be. The thing is, as temperature decreases, HS viscosity is known to increase much faster than does KV, due to the way KV is so much a function of the VII's and HS viscosity is not. And we know that the 150C HTHS of the 5w30 is fully 3.7% higher than that of the 0w30. It's not hard to see how that likely ends up working out at 23F.

However... we don't have actual measurements of HS at 23F. Which is why I don't just declare victory here and now. ;-)

And I really do mean that "winky", BTW. A smiley, even. (OK. Maybe that's stretching it a bit.) It's an interesting discussion. I care less about "readers' conclusions" than in building a clearer picture of what's going on, what we do know, and what we can't know, based upon the information available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

Comparing the visc of these 2 oils, and even the fuel economy capability, is only part of the picture.

An A1 rating on a premium synth oil is just pathetic.

Comparing the visc of these 2 oils, and even the fuel economy capability, is only part of the picture.

I would agree with that.

Quote:

I'm not sure I would agree with that, since I'm not sure what A5 is actually good for. I know what it's *supposed* to be good for. But it just doesn't seem to actually say much about the thing that it's supposed to be good for.

Last edited:
I liked M1 0W-30 in my Honda.
Of course, M1 15W-50 is better, although probably not a good winter oil.

It's a matter of sulfated ash. Mobil 0w30 doesn't have enough to be classified A3, B3, & B4 because of EPA regulations on these weights.

This doesn't make Mobil 0w30 weak because it doesn't meet this spec. It is just as strong or stronger than oil with this spec depending on its formulation. Unless you are going to run 15k+ OCI (European intervals), you don't need the extra antiwear additives. More ZDDP doesn't give you more protection, it only lasts longer for extended oci's.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

So your "larger point" is that you know what you like?

The ACEA A1/B1 rating is fairly well correlated with viscosity.

Wear, on the other hand, is not all that well correlated with viscosity.

http://www.lubrizol.com/EuropeanEngineOils/A1B108.html

ExxonMobil makes plenty of other motor oils if your tastes run to something thicker and you don't mind using gasoline.

The 5W-30, for example, is A1/B1, A5/B5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back