Mobil 1 5w30 ESP - What is the correct application???? Benefit/Harm?

They gave it away in their product guide. Read column 5 across from 5w30 ESP. But really, who cares. It’s big brother, 0w40 ESP is the Corvette oil. They are both Dexos 2.
View attachment 34284
0W40 ESP is really not "big brother." HTHS of ESP is 3.53. There are VW 504.00/507.00 oils with higher HTHS (Motul X-Clean+ 5W30 has 3.6).
VW504.00/507.00 is much tougher spec. than Dexos2.

I was thinking of running the Mobil 1 5w30 ESP in my 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S with the 2ZZ engine. The Celica is just a summer toy and at this point it only has 29,000 miles, but it is a very high reving engine, so I figured the ESP "might" offer a touch extra protection over the regular Mobil 1 5w30 that has been run in the car for the last twenty years. At this point if I put 400-500 miles a year on the Celica, that's a lot, so cost is not a big deal.
Use Mobil1 0W40 FS in that vehicle.

To be honest, it was developed for diesel vehicles with Diesel Particulate filters. (DPF). Then the marketing guys ran down to the lab and asked what else can it to.
“ Well, it can reduce harm to your catalytic converter.” “OK, we’ll put that in the ad”.:D
Not just for DPF.....in vw 507 part of the spec.....

But also for GPF in vw 504...

So, basically it is a HDEO that was approved for PCMO use? Isn't there a Shell product that does something similar?
ACEA C3.....ash 0.8max HTHS 3.5min
ACEA C4.....ash 0.5max HTHS 3.5min
C2-C1-C5....I am not interested because that are "CAFE" specs :)

ACEA E4/E7(full saps HDEO) .....ash 1.5?-2.0...HTHS 3.5min
ACEA E6/E9(low saps HDEO)....ash 0.9-1.1....HTHS 3.5min

No.
It reduces dramatically deposits on intake valves in direct injection engines. It is VW504.00/507.00, dual gas/diesel specification from the beginning of development. I worked on development of VW504.00/507.00 oil. Specification was developed for dual use from beginning since VW at that time was introducing FSI and TFSI engines in Europe (2003-2005 timeframe). It is very tough specification wear wise, and hardly anything surpass it in that discipline.
It is the toughest VW approval to date. Nothing else in the VW/Audi portfolio can match the wear limits of VW504.00/507.00

I think we need to see a paper on “ dramatically reduced deposits.” VW has a poor record in the honesty department.
Yeah, not sure about deposits especially after watching a couple videos of guys using 504 exclusively, and after 10K on the odo and 20K miles on the odo (5k mile oci), they already had deposits on the intake valves. Could just be anecdotal though.

OP, best to answer the question “what is the incorrect application of M1 5W30 ESP”

Given it’s a low SAPS and low TBN oil, the wrong application would be a long OCI (oil change interval) while running high sulphur fuel. If this isn’t you then you should be fine in a regular gas engined car.

I currently have m1 0w40 FS in my 05 Silverado V8, but I would prefer 0w40 ESP if it was available to me for the same price. I pay half price on sale for the euro formula.

The ESP would be safer for my catalytic converter. In my Oldsmobile with a 76 350 V8 I'll stick with the 0w40 FS though.

Now on the Mobil website they seemingly recommend the ESP line for all applications that call for 5w30. I guess they think it's good for everything. They even listed as the "correct" oil for my 1997 Nissan Maxima......will it protect the Maxi engine better than other oils??

As I continued to play with the Mobil website "recommendations", they are all over the place. I put a 2011 Nissan Titan in and it didn't recommend ESP, then I put a 2000 Celica GT-S in and it recommended ESP. I wonder what the difference is in terms of so many different recommendations.

well, just to add some disappointment to a few and entertainment for others;
Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 was specifically developed for Mercedes Benz Diesel engines with DPF. It was even reformulated when MB found it wasn't quite up to the job.

From what I remember M1 ESP Formula 5W-30 came with VW 504 00/507 00,
BMW LL-04 and MB 229.51 right from the beginning (about 14/15 years ago)
as did its revised version M1 ESP 5W-30 (non Formula) up to when BMW altered
their LL-04 approval (december 2018).
So even if Exxon-Mobil did perform some kind of partnership with Daimler don't
get misled thinking these products would be some kind of a 'special Mercedes
brew'. This motor oil likely will serve in almost any modern passenger car engine
quite well DI turbo or not.

Yes you can run M1 ESP in a regular passenger car engine. You will not see much benefit, if any. If you are following the maintenance recommendations in the owner's manual, it's likely nothing will change except you'll have a lighter wallet. For a normal "modern" engine (nothing special) I would suggest any name-brand synthetic oil in the regular flavor, that meets the required spec... around $20-25 for a 5-quart jug depending on the store and sales/discounts going on.

From what I remember M1 ESP Formula 5W-30 came with VW 504 00/507 00,
BMW LL-04 and MB 229.51 right from the beginning (about 14/15 years ago)
as did its revised version M1 ESP 5W-30 (non Formula) up to when BMW altered
their LL-04 approval (december 2018).
So even if Exxon-Mobil did perform some kind of partnership with Daimler don't
get misled thinking these products would be some kind of a 'special Mercedes
brew'. This motor oil likely will serve in almost any modern passenger car engine
quite well DI turbo or not.
Despite the myriad of approvals, it WAS developed with MB for the OM642 Bluetec Diesel.
Bluetec was started before the DEF fluid was added.
My own 2008 is from the 2nd year of the pre-DEF cars. Same motor in many Sprinters.
MB dealers were the only place you could even buy it at first. Conspiracy theory heaven on the MB forums.

Now on the Mobil website they seemingly recommend the ESP line for all applications that call for 5w30. I guess they think it's good for everything. They even listed as the "correct" oil for my 1997 Nissan Maxima......will it protect the Maxi engine better than other oils??
In a 1997, I'm sure you have pretty high miles, so the ESP 0/5W-30 would work well.

M1 ESP 0/5W-30 is a HTHS 3.5 oil that's formulated for higher-strung European engines that will supposedly be running at higher speeds on the Autobahn, so it's thicker than your standard API-SN 5W-30 oils, most of which are in the HTHS 3-3.2 range.

As has been discussed earlier in the thread, it has some very tough approvals from Euro OEMs. Much tougher than any US OEM approvals. So it's very good stuff.

The 0W-30 flavor, you can get on sale at Advance Auto Parts for $28/jug. I picked up a few jugs there to run in my Tacoma, which now has 246,000 miles. I had run vanilla M1 and M1-EP up to now. Interestingly, the 0W-30 is a bit thicker than the 5W-30.

Like someone else had said earlier in this thread, I believe it's M1's top of the line oil, and, despite the fact that there's no particular benefit to my old Tacoma, I just wanted to try M1's best oil. I plan to run it for 10,000 miles (should be close to 1 year at my usage) and get a UOA for the fun of it. I am interested to see if it reduces the slight oil consumption I'm experiencing in the Taco (approximately 0.5qt in 8000 miles).

EDIT: Well, that sucks. AAP has now excluded the ESP from the discount codes that used to work on it (ChrisFix25, 25JAN).

Anybody had success finding ESP on sale anywhere lately? I've heard of it going on sale at NAPA periodically, but I've personally never been able to catch any on sale there.

I was willing to buy ESP @ $28/jug, but it wouldn't make sense to buy it at regular price ($38.99/jug) for my applications, when I can get M1-EP on sale for like $12/jug with M1's yearly rebate.

Last edited:
Back