Mobil 1 5w-30 / 19,804..!!!! / '07 Toyota Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JOD
It looks fine to me. For those saying "you ran it too long" based simply on the mileage, I wonder what they have to say about this guy?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2080625

Just because you can doesn't mean you should?

Just because I can juggle half a dozen kitchen knives 8 years ago doesn't mean I should grab some knives and start juggling. I'm pretty sure I'll be missing couple fingers afterwards.

It's not just about mileage, IMO.

Iron wear has gone up from 10 ppm every 5,000 miles at 35,000 on the engine to 12-13 on the previous run, to 17 ppm every 5,000 on average now at twice the mileage on the engine from the 'lower' looking numbers. Of course it's not linear.

I'd try a sample at 5,000 into the current fill to see if numbers look comparably normal for wear metals. I'm sure the longer you run out the oil, time/mileage wise, of course the more likely the wear numbers could dynamically rise at a certain point. It'd be cool to find at what point, in that case.

Just another angle, anyway.

Very impessive . The black does wonders for the lines of the car . I'd estimate the I.C.E. ran around 55% of the time . So , hovering in the 11,000 mile range for the 1.5 ltr. motor . Surpised there's no fuel dilution . Usually is higher thanks to the electric motor . The 70s' probably help that as well . Wonder how the MOBIL 0w-20 , Honda 0w-20 , or TOYOTA 0w-20 synthetics would hold up . Think that's been approved by TOYOTA for the '04 > '08 . I believe YARIS has been approved for 0w-20 as well . Here's the chart , http://pdfcast.org/pdf/toyota-oil-recommendation , if not sure could contact a TOYOTA service center and have them fax or e-mail you the chart . Thinking of doing that as well . Thanks .

Last edited:
The TOYOTA (Denso) 90915-YZZF2 oil filter is one heck of a good performer at only $3.50 each before tax . Wonder how the AC DELCO Duraguard PF1233 would hold up compared to the TOYO ?

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Your iron count doubled when compared to the previous run of 15,143. It's too bad because the TBN is still 4.2. Perhaps with better filtration you could take it farther. This is probably an excellent case for a bypass filter. For now, cut back to 15K.

I second the 15k OCI. Keep the wear metals at a comfortable level. After 15k miles, i'd say you got pretty good value outta the synth oil and its time to dump it. There's just no reason to keep running it.

Now if wear metals were much lower, sure, run the oil longer.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Your iron count doubled when compared to the previous run of 15,143. It's too bad because the TBN is still 4.2. Perhaps with better filtration you could take it farther. This is probably an excellent case for a bypass filter. For now, cut back to 15K.

I second the 15k OCI. Keep the wear metals at a comfortable level. After 15k miles, i'd say you got pretty good value outta the synth oil and its time to dump it. There's just no reason to keep running it.

Now if wear metals were much lower, sure, run the oil longer.

I agree. 15,000 or 1 year should be doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back