Mobil 1 0W-40 FS | 5000 miles OCI | 50,000 miles 2020 Tundra

I believe that the API SN version was one of Mobil's best. Mobil used POE in the blend. The new SP version is formulated similarly to everything else in their lineup: GTL+PAO as the base oil (some products use Group III+ HVHI, others use just GTL, while others use a blend of base oils), and AN as a co-base. Mobil has given up on using POE and esters in general as co-bases in their consumer level products, and the only reason for the change I can think of is cost. Still, in typical Mobil fashion, they're making excellent products.

I recently purchased M1 Euro 0W-40 and M1 Euro 5W-40 mainly because both were on sale at Wal-Mart and I like A3/B4 and A40 ... They only had 1 jug of each left so I grabbed them both and you are right both are SP now. didn't pay attention when I bought them but I went and looked after your post and noticed that my old empty M1 0W-40 jug in the garage says SN.

Out of curiosity, what's in M1 EP 10W-30 these days? Is it also gtl+pao? That thing doesn't burn ANY in any of my cars old or new. And just because of that, I'm in love with it. lol also kind of prefer narrow(er) spread oils.
I mainly use M1 EP 10W-30 or Valvoline EP 5W-30 in my Tundra. Kind of switch back and forth. I dump any oil in this car after 5K miles so I'm sure it doesn't matter which oiI I use but curious what's in it these days?

Thanks!

Any conclusion? Wear metals slightly less with the thinner Kendall?
I will caution folks to not draw comparative conclusions from small sample groups. There is no way to accurately know the variation (stdev). Without knowing variation, you have no ability to understand the overlap in performance data. You can fairly compare/contrast singular UOAs to macro data for the purpose of determining normality, but you cannot use small sample sets to declare something superior or inferior to another; that is an improper use of the UOA as a tool.

I have a lot of UOAs on this engine series; I can tell you that the OP's truck is acting "normally" (the wear numbers are in-line with expected data for the exposure duration). These engines are known for reliability and longevity, and the wear data backs up that reputation.

@PWMDMD
What's the verdict moving forward? Which oil will you be using?
The fact is I've used a bunch of oils in my vehicles and I've never seen any meaningful differences in RL or on a UOA. I'm only using the 0W-40 in the Tundra because I'm being super cautious about what I put into the Kia (my rationale is the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 will keep it clean, give some fuel dilution buffer, and it's mostly being driven by teenage boys so I'm sure getting a little beaten) and it's nice to just use the same oil in all vehicles. Once I use up all the 0W20 in the RX 350, I may just standardize on the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or I do have some Valvoline R&P 5W30 that I may use in all my vehicles.

Just looking at that data, why use 0w40 instead of 0w20? Looks like the 0w20 was doing as well or better.
I'll counter with why not? I'm going thick for the Kia out of an abundance of caution and since I don't see any meaningful difference either way, I just want to buy one oil type for all three cars. Actually, I'm using the 0W40 in the snow blower, the lawnmower, and the generator too. It just makes life simpler. The 0W20 wasn't doing better - the Mobil 1 FS starts with some iron and aluminum in the virgin oil and that amount is equal to the difference seen in the two UOAs.

As with many engines (especially n/a, PFI engines), the grade of oil typically has little if any effect on wear rates whatsoever. Conversely, engines that shear lubes badly, or dilute them with raw fuel, may benefit from a slightly thicker lube in an effort to stave off approaching the MOFT drop-off point.

In the 5.7L Toyota engine, that's just not a problem. Using a thicker lube will neither help nor hurt the engine.

Out of curiosity, what's in M1 EP 10W-30 these days?
1717509178910.jpg

I saw an older voa of M1 0W-40 on bitog showing oxidation level reading of 27. So delta of 8 (35 minus 27) is not alarming. Is that why no one is concerned with the reported 35 in the uoa sample #2?

Also is it correct to assume that a move from SN to SP will result in much lower oxidation level readings in both voa and uoa? relatively speaking assuming all else equal ... due to the fact that the current formula (SP) has less or no POE and di-ester relative to the older SN. No?

Mobil quit making that version of FS 0W-40 two years ago.

Yes, that's what i also understood from your post #8 that the new SP version is no longer POE.

My question was regarding OP uoa and sample #1 having oxidation level of 11 and sample #2 (M1 FS 0W-40) having a very high oxidation level of 35 and concluding that both M1 FS 0W-40 readings (voa=27, sample =35) are high due to the old formulation (SN) using poe and ester ... but the delta oxidation level of M1 0W-40 is 8 (35 minus 27) and not alarming. Basically poe and di-ester throwing these readings off. It is still a question and was waiting for confirmation.

As with many engines (especially n/a, PFI engines), the grade of oil typically has little if any effect on wear rates whatsoever. Conversely, engines that shear lubes badly, or dilute them with raw fuel, may benefit from a slightly thicker lube in an effort to stave off approaching the MOFT drop-off point.

In the 5.7L Toyota engine, that's just not a problem. Using a thicker lube will neither help nor hurt the engine.
Would the thicker oil not help while being flogged pulling uphill in the summer heat?
After all it is a truck that may possibly be called upon for some towing duty.

You should update your Oil Analyzers submissions with the oil type for a more tailored report. They may even rerun the report if you let them know. I know on mine, they had TGMO vs. the PUP I had indicated and the report (it's more the red and green colors they use) changed quite a bit as they compare the results to the oil.

Back