Mobil 1: 5-30 vs 10-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering about the tradeoffs about Mobil 1 5-30 and 10-30.

Since the 10-30 has a narrower viscosity range, would it most likely be more shear stable over the life of the oil?

And since M1 does not thicken at colder temps to the same degree as dino oil, might the 10w at the low end still offer nearly the same great cold start pumpability as the 5w?

How much difference is there between the cold pumpability of these two choices (or even of the 0-30 m1)?

Toyota recommends 5-30 for my 04 camry 4cyl. But this is a broad recommendation that does not distinquish between synthetics and dino oil.

What would be the tradeoffs between using 5-30 versus 10-30 in this car?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Harry

10w-30 is the better choice and is more shear stable.

Feel good about using it unless you're in super cold conditions.

For what its worth (No UOA) a friend of mine here in CO ran his 00 Impala 3.8L on M1 10w30 year round, parking outside at night, delivery service for a paper route in the AMs, lots of stop and go during his day job as a property manager, no warm ups, no cool downs, trash gas, abuse, abuse, abuse, and sold the car with 130,000 miles on it last year with an as good as new running engine. Obviously the formula has changed according to M1 and this site, but still. 5,000 mile scheduled OCIs that usually went to 7,500.

If you want an awesome performing M1 10w30 get the HM 10w30. Seems to have really nice stats with no real reason any of their 5w30s would perform better in low temps.

My 0.02$.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Harry6
I'm wondering about the tradeoffs about Mobil 1 5-30 and 10-30.

Since the 10-30 has a narrower viscosity range, would it most likely be more shear stable over the life of the oil?

And since M1 does not thicken at colder temps to the same degree as dino oil, might the 10w at the low end still offer nearly the same great cold start pumpability as the 5w?

How much difference is there between the cold pumpability of these two choices (or even of the 0-30 m1)?

Toyota recommends 5-30 for my 04 camry 4cyl. But this is a broad recommendation that does not distinquish between synthetics and dino oil.

What would be the tradeoffs between using 5-30 versus 10-30 in this car?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Harry

Harry6,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG. Mobil says the pour point of the 5W30 is -48 and the pour point of the 10W30 is -45. See no reason the 10W30 would not work just fine.

Thank you for all your responses! As a follow question-

Would there be any difference in fuel economy between these two oils?

And while the pour points are not materially different, does it follow that the viscosities at moderately low temps (never below 0 F) are about the same as well?

Indeed, would there ever be a reason for me to use or prefer the 5-30 over the 10-30?

Thanks again,
Harry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back