Mobil 1 0w-40

Any benefit in using 0w40 in a car that recommends 5w20? Older car, plenty of miles on it.

Switched the 2011 Maxima to it, engine is definitely quieter on it compared to PUP5w30 that was in the sump for the last 3k miles, came down as tar!
Idle (especially when at operating temp) is definitely smoother. I had to order 2 jugs of it to get free shipping from Walmart. Local WM doesn't have the 5 quarts jug in stock, seems like I live in an area heavy with bitog'ers lol.
I also liked the notion of silver lid under the jug cover. Pennzoil cheeps out and sell the jug with no silver lid.
View attachment 31982
Bought this to switch my G35 from Castrol 0W40 to the Mobil 0W40. Have you had experience with the Castrol?

been say'n for years, 0/40 is the new 5/30, my engines seem happy. FWIW I use M1 in the old Toyotas, the only oil consumed in an OCI is if the dipstick is wiped...the Honda 1.5 TGDI gets Castrol's Edge 0/40 for the lower Ca.

In old days 10W40 was very popular (like today's 5W30) even in very cold places ... back to the past with more plastic. :eek:

I still prefer a higher hths 10W30 over 0W40.

Bought this to switch my G35 from Castrol 0W40 to the Mobil 0W40. Have you had experience with the Castrol?
No. I thought about Castrol 0w40 but desided to use M1. I was worried about Castrol's viscosity at 100c, 13.7 cSt. While M1 is 12.9 (per data sheet). Castrol seems thicker and has no Moly.

In old days 10W40 was very popular (like today's 5W30) even in very cold places ... back to the past with more plastic. :eek:

I still prefer a higher hths 10W30 over 0W40.
Unlike the "back in the day" 10w-40's, modern Euro 0w-40's are blended with premium base stocks, which is necessary to keep Noack below 10%, this also reduces VII load. This is all done in order to meet the performance requirements of the laundry list of approvals 0w-40's carry which have strict limits on deposits, viscosity loss, volatility, wear....etc.

Of course there are also HDEO 0w-40's which typically carry the same performance approvals as HDEO 10w-30's and 5w-40's.

I tend to put more confidence in a lubricant which has demonstrated the ability to successfully navigate the requirements of these testing protocols than simply inferring performance from the spread between the Winter rating and the SAE grade.

While it might make good theatre, there really is nothing to the comparison you've made. Modern 0w-40's are the product of evolving requirements for lubricants by OEM's to provide verified top-shelf performance over every imaginable temperature and significant advances in lubricant chemistry. This is easily demonstrated by looking at the vehicles and engines that spec the grade and the fact it has a significant presence at numerous 24h events.

No. I thought about Castrol 0w40 but desided to use M1. I was worried about Castrol's viscosity at 100c, 13.7 cSt. While M1 is 12.9 (per data sheet). Castrol seems thicker and has no Moly.
Out of curiosity, why is that a concern? In my AMG, I had to switch to Castrol because Mobil could not handle the fuel dilution as well as Castrol. In addtion, Castrol uses titanium in its additive pack instead of moly--just a different way to arrive at the same destination.

I use Castrol and M1 0W40 interchangeably. Main thing with Castrol is the unmistakable smell after it’s been used, it’ll stay in the engine pretty much forever.

Out of curiosity, why is that a concern? In my AMG, I had to switch to Castrol because Mobil could not handle the fuel dilution as well as Castrol. In addtion, Castrol uses titanium in its additive pack instead of moly--just a different way to arrive at the same destination.
Both are MB229.5. WHich is what matters.

My Google foo must be failing me today, but what is the pour point of M1 euro 0w-40? The specs on the Mobil website don't list it, at least not that I can find.

My Google foo must be failing me today, but what is the pour point of M1 euro 0w-40? The specs on the Mobil website don't list it, at least not that I can find.
That’s pretty common that it’s not listed anymore, it’s not as relevant towards cold weather performance as the winter rating.

Last edited:
My manual recommends 5w30, that's why. I don't want to use significantly higher viscosity oil than the upper viscosity limit of 12.3 for 30 grade oils.
Then why you are looking at any 0W-40 and not simply using what is recommended if that is the concern?

Then why you are looking at any 0W-40 and not simply using what is recommended if that is the concern?

Long discussion, if have been following here then it's useless to chew things up over and over again. (Think higher HTHS, low NOAC and long timing chain oil sheering, more so for certain engines)

Mobil 1 0w-40 is in my cx-5mazda now. Seems to do fine. I think it will offset the winter fuel dilution.
IMG_20201125_120632286_HDR.jpg

Back