ZINC (0.20%)

C1-14-ALKYL ESTERS, ZINC SALTS
(ZDDP) (0.45%)

ZINC DITHIOPHOSPHATE (1.25%)

10cSt...just fabulous!
thumbsdown.gif

High additives and low viscosity...

[ January 24, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I will get a spectro analysis of this oil this week. Mobil 1R 0W30 should be available on line at e-store www.avlube.com Tuesday 1/27/04... And it will be in my Sequoia 1/27/04!!!
What is wrong with a 10cst 30W oil??? I do not follow?? A 30W is a 30W is 10cst... The information was from the MSDS so it may differ somewhat from the real oil?
George

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
I will get a spectro analysis of this oil this week. Mobil 1R 0W30 should be available on line at e-store www.avlube.com Tuesday 1/27/04... And it will be in my Sequoia 1/27/04!!!
What is wrong with a 10cst 30W oil??? I do not follow?? A 30W is a 30W is 10cst... The information was from the MSDS so it may differ somewhat from the real oil?
George

I'll be looking forward to it.
smile.gif

Nothing wrong with a 10.3cSt oil. It's all about the chemistry. Too many people on here focus way too much on viscosity.
wink.gif
Are you sure this is the racing oil? It looks like the regular 0w-30?

[ January 24, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Nothing wrong with a 10.3cSt oil. It's all about the chemistry. Too many people on here focus way too much on viscosity.
wink.gif

Well, I think too many people on here focus way too much on group IV/V oils!
grin.gif

About that viscosity...in a street vehicle, running real hard (which is what this oil is "supposedly" meant for), I'd like something a little thicker, around 12cSt for a 30-weight, but that's just me!

10.3 is the viscosity of the regular 0w-30. How do you know it's the Racing oil?

I'll wait for the PDS or George's VOA before I make a comment.
wink.gif

[ January 24, 2004, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

An MSDS is more useful to a moron who splashes the stuff in his eyes or accidentally pours it on his burrito.

Viscosity... well it depends on the application. And there's more to viscosity than kinematic. Don't forget about HT/HS viscosity.

For my application, for instance, I need an oil with an A3 rating, meaning (among other things) that its HT/HS viscosity is > 3.5 cP.

If I can get that HT/HS in a 10 cSt (kinematic viscosity) oil, great! (10 cSt=30 wt, which is acceptable in my car.) Less internal resistance, but good wear protection.

The lowest kinematic viscosity I've seen, while still maintaining a greater than 3.5 HT/HS viscosity, is Redline 5W-30 which comes in at 10.9 cSt and 3.8 cP.

Other cars don't need > 3.5 HT/HS and actually need lower, like BMWs in Europe with Valvetronic.

Section #15 in both lists the zinc/ZDDP levels in each oil, and you can clearly see the differences between the two oils, with the "racing" oil having the higher additive levels.

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
An MSDS is more useful to a moron who splashes the stuff in his eyes or accidentally pours it on his burrito.

Agree.

BUT, until the data sheets come out, it does give you an idea of what the product will be like, and you can see basically data (Viscosity, flash point) as well as zinc/ZDDP additive levels.

Regarding the above quote "They want $10/quart for this! " Who is "They"????
Is someone selling Mobil 1R that I am unaware of?? We get our first trucload shipment Monday so, unfortunately, I do not know pricing yet..
George

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
Regarding the above quote "They want $10/quart for this! " Who is "They"????
Is someone selling Mobil 1R that I am unaware of?? We get our first trucload shipment Monday so, unfortunately, I do not know pricing yet..
George

autobarn.net/mobil1store.html
direct links to site sponsers only.mark

[ January 24, 2004, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:
If I can get that HT/HS in a 10 cSt (kinematic viscosity) oil, great! (10 cSt=30 wt, which is acceptable in my car.) Less internal resistance, but good wear protection.

offtopic.gif
I don't agree. I'm thinking that the HTHS visocity is a bigger factor in the internal resistance than the bulk viscosity @100ºC.

Jelly, they don't have it yet. They have it on the website, but no one has it yet.
wink.gif

I don't want to jump the gun just yet, but so far I am unimpressed. According to this data, it doesn't seem much different that the regular 0w30. I do track quite a bit with my 8000rpm motor in the summer, but I don't see myself paying the extra $$ based in this info. I hope I'm wrong or this early info is.

I've had average results with with M1 5w and 0w30, so I may be converting over to the dark side with Amsoil 5w and/or 0w30.

Waiting for more 0w30R info
phone.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back