MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I popped 6 oz. of MMO into my tank, which had about 15 gal. No problems starting or running this morning. We'll see how the MPG matter goes -- though most of that 15 gal. is the ethanol-laced stuff from China-Mart; they just started with that. So any increase in MPG due to MMO might only bring me back near where the MPG would be with 100% gas.

Yeah, I know, if you change two variables in an experiment, blah blah blah. But I wanted to start using the big bottle I had, and the level, 15 gal., was just right.

I'd be interested in your observations, you're running a 320:1 ratio which is a little more than the recommended dose. Some people had good results adding a little more than was suggested. I was planning on increasing the dose for the winter months to see what if anything happens.

Frank D

It is 320:1, but I thought that *was* the standard dose -- 4 oz. of MMO per 10 gallons of fuel? 4 oz. for the first 10 gallons in the tank, then 2 more for the next 5 gallons?

You're right! For some reason a 400:1 ratio was what stuck in my head. I just checked, the dose for gas engines is 4oz/10 gallons of gas, or for bulk usage 1qt/100 gallons of gas. That's probably where I got the 400:1 ratio from.

Frank D

Whew. For a minute there I thought my engine was going to go into Cheyne-Stokes respiration or something. (I watched "House" last night, and scary medical stuff is still running through my head.)

LOL, the good news is it takes a lot of it for an engine to OD, or go into Cheyne-Stokes Respiration on the stuff. But it can be done, ask me how I know.

Frank d

I just used mmo for the first time. I had to do a 200 mile drive to see my girlfriend, so I added slightly higher then suggested.

No real differences on the drive out, gas mileage seemed slightly worse, but I guess that's normal.

The truck was parked for 2 days before I headed back.

The difference on the return trip was very noticeable. Not placebo at all. Smoother, quieter, a bit more pep in the gas pedal as well. I've used Lucas UCL on this trip before and there was a difference but not this substantial. Gas mileage seemed slightly improved.

I have also been having oil consumption issues and there was none lost on this excursion, and I have been burning roughly 1.5 quarts per 1k.

I like this stuff! Always thought it was snake oil.

Update on the MMO,

It's a little early to tell, and I have been using less A/C this past week (a miracle in The Swamp at this time of year). But the gas gauge hit the 1/2 mark at 210 miles, just about the same as it usually does, so maybe the MMO is helping counter the ethanol.

Originally Posted By: JonnyHotcakes
I just used mmo for the first time. I had to do a 200 mile drive to see my girlfriend, so I added slightly higher then suggested.

No real differences on the drive out, gas mileage seemed slightly worse, but I guess that's normal.

The truck was parked for 2 days before I headed back.

The difference on the return trip was very noticeable. Not placebo at all. Smoother, quieter, a bit more pep in the gas pedal as well. I've used Lucas UCL on this trip before and there was a difference but not this substantial. Gas mileage seemed slightly improved.

I have also been having oil consumption issues and there was none lost on this excursion, and I have been burning roughly 1.5 quarts per 1k.

I like this stuff! Always thought it was snake oil.

Going slightly over on the MMO in the gas can cost you some gas mileage, it depends on how much over the suggested dose you use. It is also possible that the MMO can reduce oil consumption if used in the gas because it might help make a tighter seal between the rings and the cylinder wall, causing less oil usage, others have observed this as well. I've used it for years with only positive results.

JMO,
Frank D

Report on MMO:

I gassed up this morning and calculated 21.92 mpg. That's just about what I'd normally get with low A/C use.

Next try is MMO in this Chevron tankful, which is pure, not ethanol.

OK, I have to chime in here. I am normally a skeptic and I gave MMO a chance in my 1991 Lincoln Town Car. I normally get 22- 22.5 mpg on the highway out of this ol car, I check my mpg faithfully. Lots of cruise control driving at 70 mph.
Well, with MMO added at 4 oz per 10 gallons of gas, I got 22.5-23 mpg on a recent 700 mile trip.

Whatever is in this "Mystery" stuff, it gets my vote.

I have noticed more pep and generally easier starting in my lawnmowers when I dosed the gas with MMO. I got the same results when using it in my cars' fuel. But, I never noticed any increase in MPG

I've used it in gas, oil, cars, boats, small engines, outboard engines, and as a fogging oil and have always been happy with the results. IMO its well worth the money!

Frank D

I've being reading this forum and thread trying to determine if MMO will clean EXISTING carbon deposits from the combustion chamber and valves when added to the gas tank.

It sounds like it does an excellent job of keeping things clean if there was no buildup to start, but I haven't seen anyone say that it actually cleans existing deposits.

If it can clean existing deposits, what is the recommended dose for this application? I have half a quart of MMO at home and am interested in using it in an 5hp OHC small engine on a snowblower that has a 0.3 gallon tank.

MMO will not clean like a fuel injector cleaner will. I had called Turtle Wax Co and asked them. Used in a new car it will keep the injectors clean and properly working, and there will be no need for a FI cleaner. In an older car it is recommended that a good FI cleaner be used first, then use MMO as directed to keep things clean, working properly, and the upper cylinder area lubed. Then there are the other benefits that were already mentioned in this thread.

HTH,
Frank D

A quick test to see if it will clean anything in your engine is to take a look at your spark plugs before and after running MMO in your gas.

If the plugs look cleaner afterwards, you can be pretty sure that something came out of your cylinders.

I did this test myself and found that the plugs were definitely cleaner with less carbon on them. I also found that there was a slight pinkish tint to the plugs thanks to the dyes used to make MMO red.

Originally Posted By: Craftsman
I did this test myself and found that the plugs were definitely cleaner with less carbon on them. I also found that there was a slight pinkish tint to the plugs thanks to the dyes used to make MMO red.

That's good to know. I got the machine used with a new spark plug installed, but I can see light carbon buildup on the piston head through the spark plug hole. Since I have MMO on hand I'll use it throughout this season and see what happens. I'll follow up here at the end of the season.

I'm thinking of using it at a higher concentration than the 4 oz per 10 gallons since this is a snowblower that will probably not see more than a couple of gallons of fuel unless we get more snow than usual.

which would be prefered, redline fuel system cleaner or MMO? I have 2 quarts of MMO and a case of 12 bottles of the redline cleaner.

if you are looking at cleaning combustion chamber, redline si-1 is the choice. MMO is only good to clean varnish and lube the upper cylinder but will not clean hard carbon deposit.
It will keep the varnish soft enough to be blown out during start up, but will not do anything to clean hard piston top carbon deposit.
MMO is good to maintain the cleanliness though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back