MMO, the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: keesue
Dayum, it's a whuppin' fest! Da fellas iz gangin' up on youse. Guys, "ders a time to hold 'em and a time to fold 'em". Me thinks it's time to get ta steppin'. It's gettin' painful.

Whoopin' or Whuppin'?

'Pends on wher ure frum.

Now back in old Kentucky we could settle this over a jug of moonshine.
grin2.gif

Well, then I'd be mighty pleased to have a swig of moonshine witchoo.
grin.gif

Quote:
grin2.gif

But we would sip it, not soak our heads in it.
cry.gif

Quote:
grin2.gif

But we would sip it, not soak our heads in it.
cry.gif

Indeed, else-wise we'd be a-pickled a-kin to...
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trajan
We'll drink until our inter-granular voids are full.

Don't start that again.
tired.gif
smile.gif
sleep.gif
smile.gif

Last edited:
re:MMO having a cSt of 2.3 @ 100*c, what do you reckon it might be after the more volatile components have flashed off?

Thanky

Quote:
re:MMO having a cSt of 2.3 @ 100*c, what do you reckon it might be after the more volatile components have flashed off?

I assume you mean as a crankcase cleaner?

Were you able to determine if your engine had sludge or thick oxidized oil in the engine before you used it?

If so then your oil would most likely thicken and would need to be changed.

If you used a modern oil and changed it at the severe service schedule, I doubt you would need any MMO.

If the engine didn't have any sludge, then the oil would thin out until you burnt off the volatiles. In the meantime, all of your additives are reduced and the oil film is reduced.

I would really caution anyone using XW20 oils not to use anything that would thin it down for the obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers

Thicker! Maybe closer to cSt of 5 which is SAE 10w engine oil at 100 deg C.

Originally Posted By: dave5358

If you raised the temperature of the MMO by itself to the Flash Point, maybe.

But here we're discussing two scenarios in which MMO is mixed with engine oil, not MMO by itself.

Quote:

Were you able to determine if your engine had sludge or thick oxidized oil in the engine before you used it?

If you used a modern oil and changed it at the severe service schedule, I doubt you would need any MMO.

If the engine didn't have any sludge, then the oil would thin out until you burnt off the volatiles. In the meantime, all of your additives are reduced and the oil film is reduced.

I would really caution anyone using XW20 oils not to use anything that would thin it down for the obvious reasons.
Heathen!!!! You dare question MMO!!

On BITOG, it's Christmas in August. Let's see, here is what appears to be a simple question:

MMO having a cSt of 2.3 @ 100*c, what do you reckon it might be after the more volatile components have flashed off?

Here's one answer:

Here's another answer, complete with editorial and, so far, one addendum and one echo chamber (the other echo chamber will be along shortly):
Originally Posted By: molakule

Plus an addendum (I won't bother to reproduce the echo chamber):

But here we're discussing two scenarios in which MMO is mixed with engine oil, not MMO by itself.

Uhhhh, no. We're discussing the viscosity of MMO after the volatiles have flashed off. If you flash off the volatiles in MMO, what you'll have left is akin to 10w oil... period.

If our resident scientist had bothered to check on... Bob is the Oil Guy the answer is there. Instead he checked in the Molakule Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. It has one page. On that page are two words: "Ask Molakule".

This is just ignoring or botching the facts about the simplest of subjects so he can launch into one of his anti-additive schticks. Here's another one:

And so is Rislone Engine Additive, one that never claims to permeate into non-porous metals.

From Rislone's web page "The unique Rislone formula is designed to penetrate into valve seats, bearing surfaces, piston rings and ring grooves, where sludge and varnish is likely to form."

And we're supposed to trust this guy with 220v? Pour me a drink. Make it a double.

On BITOG, it's Christmas in August. Let's see, here is what appears to be a simple question:

MMO having a cSt of 2.3 @ 100*c, what do you reckon it might be after the more volatile components have flashed off?

Here's one answer:

Here's another answer, complete with editorial and, so far, one addendum and one echo chamber (the other echo chamber will be along shortly):
Originally Posted By: molakule

Plus an addendum (I won't bother to reproduce the echo chamber):

Uhhhh, no. We're discussing the viscosity of MMO after the volatiles have flashed off. If you flash off the volatiles in MMO, what you'll have left is akin to 10w oil... period.

If our resident scientist had bothered to check on... Bob is the Oil Guy the answer is there. Instead he checked in the Molakule Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. It has one page. On that page are two words: "Ask Molakule".

This is just ignoring or botching the facts about the simplest of subjects so he can launch into one of his anti-additive schticks. Here's another one:

And so is Rislone Engine Additive, one that never claims to permeate into non-porous metals.

From Rislone's web page "The unique Rislone formula is designed to penetrate into valve seats, bearing surfaces, piston rings and ring grooves, where sludge and varnish is likely to form."

And we're supposed to trust this guy with 220v? Pour me a drink. Make it a double.

Having the data relevant to the discussion would help you. Using emotions in an discussion that is data focused does not favor you.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...MMO#Post3442362

Answers to both what happens to MMO both by itself and in an engine oil were fully explained.

In the context of MMO applications, the OP appeared to be asking about what happens to MMO while in Motor Oil after the volatile compounds have cooked off, since one of the stated applications of MMO is as an engine cleaner.

It doesn't make any sense to heat up MMO by itslf unless you simply want to do an expensive experiment to see what happens after the volatile compounds are gone.

Introducing viscosity charts, as if that had some relevancy, doesn't answer the OP's question.

I don't think anyone signed up on BITOG to have their emotonal problems diagnosed, but rather registered to discuss lubricants, additives, etc.

Last edited:
OK, dave5358 is now going into mouth foaming raving hysteria.

He doesn't want a rational discussion. He wants to beat those who actually know and understand what he can't into submission. He is so far out of his depth he'd drown in a parking lot puddle.

He hasn't had his Austerlitz. But he's had his Waterloo. More than once.

Give it up 5358.

Quote:

I appreciate your thorough informative posts. Thank you. My current fill was the residual 5w-30 Valvoline NextGen (did not replace filter) and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 in a Saturn SL2 1.9 DOHC. Factory spec is 5w-30. At 1400 miles I added a pint of MMO. The vehicle uses a quart about every 1.5 - 2k. Not bad for a 21 year old Saturn DOHC

Bartender, hit me again.

Why do you believe you understand the technical discussion of MMO? Then be proud that you do not.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Bartender, hit me again.

Why do you believe you understand the technical discussion of MMO? Then be proud that you do not.

I think, that deep down, he knows he hasn't a clue. But rather than muster the ambition and drive to change that, (it can be hard work), it easier to be proud of his trademark ignorance.

Some further thoughts....
http://lesswrong.com/lw/94i/why_some_people_seem_to_be_proud_of_their/

Last edited:
I must be a minority and old at 33. I do not understand how people believe admitting to not understanding is a weakness. I do not understand how people believe blaming every ill on your predecessor along with not accepting responsibility is not poor leadership. I also do not believe possessing any and all mentioned traits is something to boast about but again I must be an minority.

The must disturbing part of this discussion it takes a technical level of knowledge and understanding of chemistry to understand so not understanding is nothing to be ashamed of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back