MMO full oci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad just brought a 2002 Town and Country. We have no clue of the previous owners maintenance habits. I plan on changing the oil the Supertech 5w-30 and adding in MMO as the last quart. Then I plan on running it for around 3k to 5k miles. My question is...Since I really can't afford arx right now (and that would be my first choice over everything else) would it be ok to run a full oci with MMO?

MMO site says to initially use 16 oz then full quart after..Some well say it's not a good idea to add it to your oil, But I have not seen any proof that it causes harm or more wear..Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm on the same boat as Rtstrider. I've never use MMO on the oil and would like to try it as well for gentle cleaning..

I know of people who do it. I have ran MMO in my truck for a short time, not a long OCI. Perhaps run 1/2 a quart in the oil. Slow is better when it comes to this.

Perhaps opt for a cheap High Mile oil like Pennzoil HM.

I would rather see you spend that MMO cash on a oil with more detergents in it.

I would not use any solvent for a complete oil change interval. I would add MMO about 500 miles before the next oil change. You may have remove some oil before adding MMO, because you should not exceed the allowed capacity. In case of a 5.5 quart sump I add 0.5 quarts MMO to 5 quarts oil.

PP might be a good option for your application. If you want an HDEO, Pennzoil Long Life Gold 10W-30 is an excellent choice.

I figured I would use cheap oil for this run since the mmo is going to "water" it down. Plus I'm going to go with a 3k mile oci. No need in spending money on good oil for such a short oci. Will this oil affect the cleaning of mmo?

I've used a full qt in place of 1 qt of oil for a full OCI several times w/o issue. But I knew the history of the car. My suggestion would be to add a 1/2 qt about 1000 mile before the OCI. It will definately help clean things up.

AD

Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
I figured I would use cheap oil for this run since the mmo is going to "water" it down. Plus I'm going to go with a 3k mile oci. No need in spending money on good oil for such a short oci. Will this oil affect the cleaning of mmo?

Sorry, should have clarified. I meant PP or Pennzoil Long Life on its own - without adding MMO. Both these oils have decent cleaning abilities. Long Life is a HDEO.

It doesn't matter what kind of oil you add MMO to, it works well with Synthetics, dino, and cheap dino oil. I've gotten PM's from a few guys that use it, and have mentioned some success stories, along the lines of what my dad and I observed over the years.

AD

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I know of people who do it. I have ran MMO in my truck for a short time, not a long OCI. Perhaps run 1/2 a quart in the oil. Slow is better when it comes to this.

Perhaps opt for a cheap High Mile oil like Pennzoil HM.

I would rather see you spend that MMO cash on a oil with more detergents in it.

+1

I have used MMO, a pint in the final 300 miles of the previous OCI and I do believe it did some cleaning. But I would be very uncomfortable using a quart of it for a whole OCI in summer.

If you want to add something but don't want to pay for AutoRX, some have had good luck using Rislone Engine Treatment and I've had good luck with CD2 Oil Detergent...

Or just change the oil, see how dirty it gets and how long it takes to do so. Then add MMO like the last 500 miles...

Last edited:
I think that Auto-RX would be a far wiser choice. I sure would not run my engine for more that a few hundered miles using a crankcase of 25% MMO and 75% engine oil.

Why not add 4 ounces and run MMO the entire OCI. That should provide a bit of a gentle boost to the cleaning ability.

FWIW, I ran a quart of MMO for a 5K OCI on my vehicle a couple of years back, just for the hill if it, and to maybe stop a slight ticking at start-up.

92 Silhouette with the venerable 3.8 and 200K+. Oil certainly came out thin and black as night. Did not stop the ticking, but ARX did later

Van now has 256K and still purrs.

But I still wouldn't recommend doing this on a newer, lower mileage car. I didn't have a lot at risk in my case. Had already gotten my money's worth out of the van.

Well I just changed my dads oil in his 88 Buick Rivera (backup car) and the oil thats been in it has been in there for two years! It was Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic and it came out as thick as syrup! So I changed the oil to PP and added a quart of MMO. I looked into the valve cover and it looks NASTY! This would be a great candidate for ARX, but since I'm on limited funds right now I'm eager to see how a few 3k ocis with MMO will do.

Based on past experience helping friends with their cars, the MMO will certainly help clean up that Nasty stuff.

AD

Well I just changed my dads oil in his 88 Buick Rivera (backup car) and the oil thats been in it has been in there for two years! It was Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic and it came out as thick as syrup! So I changed the oil to PP and added a quart of MMO. I looked into the valve cover and it looks NASTY! This would be a great candidate for ARX, but since I'm on limited funds right now I'm eager to see how a few 3k ocis with MMO will do.

In your case, I would have used Rislone "Engine Treatment" or CD2 Oil Detergent...

I wouldn't run MMO for an entire OCI because I believe MMO makes no recommendation nor instruction to do so...

Correction: they say you can substitute one qt. of oil with MMO in a five qt. sump...

Last edited:
MMO clearly states to substitute 1 qt MMO for 1 qt of engine oil at each and every OCI. Then run it for the full OCI. So in a 5 qt sump run 4qts of oil and 1 qt of MMO. HTH

AD

So if you want to dilute the host oil additive package by 20% and run a full OCI, have at it. I don't recommend it. If someone tells you to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge...

MMO has it own additive package as well, including phosphorous (900 ppm) and boron (30-40 ppm), and several others - so it is not necessarily true that it will "dilute" you host oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rick20
So if you want to dilute the host oil additive package by 20% and run a full OCI, have at it. I don't recommend it. If someone tells you to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge...

If there were problems with the product the company would be out of business. 80+ years of and still going strong. A lot of loyal satisfied customers who have used the product with great success. As far as I know the chemistry of sludge hasn't changed much and MMO does a fine job of getting rid of it along with varnish, something other products have a hard time with :). I've used the stuff it works, dad used and and his father, and a lot of members who I've chatted with via PM. Opinions vary, this is mine.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back