MMO full oci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8
MMO has it own additive package as well, including phosphorous (900 ppm) and boron (30-40 ppm), and several others - so it is not necessarily true that it will "dilute" you host oil.

I see someone did their homework, good on you! MMO gets knocked around a lot on the board, and its really a shame. What's worse is it could be knocked by people who didn't even give it a try. Too bad. I had a nice chat with Rich Kelly and he was very helpful and informative. We've had great results with it.

If my posting here can help someone then I feel good to be a member, and give something back for all that I've learned here.

AD

I completely agree! I've used other products before, so I feel I want to try something a little different. To stop flames....Regardless of how well, how it particularly cleans in one or more doses, and which product is better than the other is not my concern. I just want to see if I can get these engines clean and see which product offers more value to dollar ratio out of my own personal experiences.

I've used both products, with good results. For me MMO gives more bang for the buck, but to each his own. Seems every time MMO is mentioned the A-Rx people chime in with something negative. The way business was taught to me is: a quality product speaks for itself and doesn't bash competition, or ask a customer or possible customer if they would jump off a bridge. A-Rx is a good product, but when things like this come up I question it. BTW I respect the Mobil people for handling their little war with Ashland the way they are. I don't use Mobil products but respect them for their way of advertising and handling competition. Smart business should learn from them, they're #1 for a reason.

On a positive note sometimes changing chemistry does additional cleaning. There might be something that one chemistry is better at breaking something down than another. So maybe a A-Rx clean rinse cycle followed by a MMO treatment is the ticket. Lets say 1 pint of MMO for the last 1000 miles used after the A-Rx treatment gets an engine squeaky clean, what is the problem? Or perhaps a LC product.

The majority of the members here are not selling product, they want to know what works and what doesn't. Some want to experiment, some find things that are very successful. They share, and in the end some of us might benefit from it.

AD

I'm an ARX user, but I won't bash MMO at all. I only used it once w/ no results. In all fairness though, it was in the sump for a very short time.

I have a couple of family members that won't fork over the money for ARX, perhaps I should use MMO in those cars. Then and only then, will I be able to judge the product objectively.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
I'm an ARX user, but I won't bash MMO at all. I only used it once w/ no results. In all fairness though, it was in the sump for a very short time.

I have a couple of family members that won't fork over the money for ARX, perhaps I should use MMO in those cars. Then and only then, will I be able to judge the product objectively.

I think what panthermike has said here makes sense. This oil additive section should be about our observations using various oil additives. It is wrong for anyone to bash a product when they have not used it.

If you want to use MMO, that is fine, if you want to use auto-rx that is fine too, but this looks like a MMO post, and when people who are pro auto-rx jump in, this can cause some problems, I am an auto-rx user but I do enjoy reading all of the posts in here.

Let's all try to gain some knowledge and not create controversey.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

Well said....A lot of people are leary of using it for a full OCI, or adding a full qt. They use half the amount, or less and run it for less than recommended, then pass judgement. If a pint of MMO is run for the last 500 miles of an OCI and the user expects it to free up a noisy lifter, odds are it won't. The same goes for the A-Rx user that runs half a bottle for 500 miles and then goes into a rinse phase.

If you plan on using a product use it as it was intended if you have a problem you're trying to resolve. In a situation of a new clean engine all that is needed is a few oz of A-Rx to keep it clean. You can also do the same with MMO, add a pint for the last 500 miles of the OCI and accomplish the same thing.

AD

And again I should mention I have used arx before myself. I just want to venture out and see what other products I can use to achieve potentially similar results.

Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
And again I should mention I have used arx before myself. I just want to venture out and see what other products I can use to achieve potentially similar results.

I'm with you, then share the results good, bad, or ugly.

AD

I've used both products (currently running ARX in 3 of my vehicles) and I've been happy with each one of them!

Well I am going to chime in here. I HAVE used MMO and I am about to again. Man I can't believe how long I have been driving. Anyway, my Durango has developed a slight valve ticking that goes away when the engine warms up. I am going to hit it with the MMO for the rest of the OCI which 3500 miles is left. I will see if it will clear it up. If not, at the end of the OCI it will be new oil and some Seafoam. No oil leaks just a light tapping of the valves on the driver side of the motor. I'll let you know how it goes.

cheers3.gif

Give the MMO a chance. I would wait on the Seafoam. Try running a pint of MMO for your next full OCI as well. It will get the lifter working if it is dirt that is causing the problem.

AD

I replaced a quart of Mobil1 10w40 high mileage with a quart of MMO in my 93 850. I don't think it did anything. 7500 miles!

I am thinking about just adding in a little ARX at each change to give it a long term gentle cleaning.

If a lifter is making noise because of a mechanical issue (worn, broken, or damaged part) and not dirt, nothing other than repairing the problem is going to work. OTOH if there is no mechanical issues, and nothing to fix, then how would you know if any of the additives are doing anything other than keeping a clean engine clean?

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
If a lifter is making noise because of a mechanical issue (worn, broken, or damaged part) and not dirt, nothing other than repairing the problem is going to work. OTOH if there is no mechanical issues, and nothing to fix, then how would you know if any of the additives are doing anything other than keeping a clean engine clean?

I was doing it to see if it would clean off some of the oil varnish in my engine and to see if it would help with oil consumption.

This thread has inspired me. I just did an oil change on my fathers 89 Camry. It has very visable varnish under the filler hole, and I suspect his current treatment means things are much worse deeper down.
I am going to suck out a quart of the oil I just dumped in (Valvoline 15w-40 HDEO...it was free, I have 20 quarts of the stuff) and replace it with MMO for a 3k OCI, then going to cut open the filter. I still have the old filter from the previous OCI, so I can compare.

Here is hoping it doesn't blow up!

Originally Posted By: KLowD9x

I was doing it to see if it would clean off some of the oil varnish in my engine and to see if it would help with oil consumption.

Give it a try, if the oil use is from bad valve stem seals, or bad guides only a thicker grade oil might help. If the rings need cleaning, and are sticking the MMO will help, it will certainly clean up the varnish. It needs a little time to work, I would also add it to the gas at the recommended dose.

HTH
AD

Originally Posted By: pzev
This thread has inspired me. I just did an oil change on my fathers 89 Camry. It has very visable varnish under the filler hole, and I suspect his current treatment means things are much worse deeper down.
I am going to suck out a quart of the oil I just dumped in (Valvoline 15w-40 HDEO...it was free, I have 20 quarts of the stuff) and replace it with MMO for a 3k OCI, then going to cut open the filter. I still have the old filter from the previous OCI, so I can compare.

Here is hoping it doesn't blow up!

LOL I haven't heard of an engine blowing up because of MMO. Go for it, my bet is in about 2 OCI's your engine will be clean. I was chatting with a member a while back who recently used MMO in a 300,000+ mile Chevy V8 and is amazed at the clean up it did for him.

AD

Originally Posted By: KLowD9x

Give it a try, if the oil use is from bad valve stem seals, or bad guides only a thicker grade oil might help. If the rings need cleaning, and are sticking the MMO will help, it will certainly clean up the varnish. It needs a little time to work, I would also add it to the gas at the recommended dose.

HTH
AD

Yeah, it needs valve stem seals and new hydraulic lifters.

I might break down the top of the cylinder head one day and just replace everything up there.

Alright so I just drained the oil after running a 3k oci. It was 4 quarts of 5w-30 Supertech and 1 quart of MMO. Is it ok that the oil came out thicker than when I poured it in? Does this mean it is doing some cleaning? Also I put in 4 quarts of Mobil Clean 5000 and 1 quart of MMO for this 3k oci.

It can come out thicker, especially if some cleaning had been done. Just wondering, did you change the oil hot or cold? I've actually seen 30 minutes of a cool down period make a difference in how the oil flows out of my engines when I pull the drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back