MMO - does it really work??

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I wasn't having any problems at all when I started on MMO. I have been using it for about a year now. My truck is a bit on the slow side. It is heavy for a mid-size pickup: it weighs over 4,000 pounds and it only has a 6 cylinder 175 hp engine. It is underpowered for its size and weight, but my old-school cast iron engine is very reliable and durable.

After I read about MMO here on BITOG and on the MMO website, I started using it to try to increase my engine's power and performance. And even if it didn't help my MPG or performance on the butt-dyno, I would still use MMO for its UCL properties alone. I want to keep my old truck running the best it can and keep driving it as long as I can. Until the wheels fall off, some would say. The MPG increase I get is a very welcome side effect of the UCL properties of MMO.

MMO can help keep an engine in good shape, but in my case it wasn't instant gratification like you get with the strong PEA-based fuel system cleaners and fuel injector cleaners. MMO is a good solvent and a mild cleaner. I had to use MMO for several tanks of gas before I noticed any improvement in how my truck ran. But when I added a pint of MMO to my oil, my engine immediately ran smoother and quieter and it seemed to have a little more power. That is because MMO will thin your oil a bit. In cool weather it also made my truck start right up the instant I turned the key.

MMO is a good product and it has been around a long time. If you need a good UCL and an additive that can help your engine run better and last longer and keep the fuel system cleaned and lubricated, MMO is about the best additive you can use. I researched and read online for a very long time before I tried it, and I never found even one post from someone saying MMO damaged their engine. There were a few who said it did nothing for them. I suspect they didn't use it long enough. Some were like me and had to use it a while and others noticed a difference as soon as they pulled away from the gas pump after adding that first dose of MMO. The key is consistency, you need to add it at every fuel fill to get the most and best benefit from it and you may have to play around and adjust the dose amount until you find what works best. Some guys use more, some use less.

Walmart is the cheapest place to buy MMO and Regane too. I stock up on both on my occasional trip to Walmart. With Regane you want to get the one that says Gumout Regane Fuel System Cleaner, not the Injector Cleaner. You can run a tank with Regane and then start on your MMO treatments. Whether you keep using MMO or not, Regane is a very good cleaner and it only costs $4.50 at Walmart. As little as MMO costs, $3.77 for a quart at Walmart, it's definitely worth trying.

Jimmy, thank you!!!

That's exactly the info I was looking for. I wanted a UCL that would help combat the corrosive effects of the methanol in our fuel that would lubricate the upper cylinders and most especially, keep the fuel pump lubricated well. I have a high pressure aftermarket cam driven fuel pump and this is a MAJOR concern of mine. Upon break-in of the pump, where A LOT of other MS3 guys were having their pumps fail, I, just on me own, decided to use MMO during this period to try to help the pump break in smoothly and properly.

I've checked my pump and I get consistent 1800 to 1900 psi at WOT with spikes into the 2,000's! This is very impressive numbers compared to others with the same KMD v2.1 cam driven high pressure fuel pump upgraded internals. I since switched to Lucas, but only b/c I caught a HUGE sale of it, but it seems the car's not done as well on it as the MMO and not pulled the same PSI numbers as it did with the MMO.

I'm going to dump the last bit of Lucas fuel treatment in the wifes SUV on a full tank and pick up a gallon of MMO. Though I will keep the small Lucas bottle to use to put the MMO in so I can add it to my tank of gas easily, sort of like you did w/ the Regan.

Thank you so much for the knowledge! *leaves for W-M now. :p

Only problem with MMO gallons is the jug is about the poorest-pouring jug I've ever seen... If you're trying to distribute into containers.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Jimmy, thank you!!!

That's exactly the info I was looking for. I wanted a UCL that would help combat the corrosive effects of the methanol in our fuel that would lubricate the upper cylinders and most especially, keep the fuel pump lubricated well. I have a high pressure aftermarket cam driven fuel pump and this is a MAJOR concern of mine. Upon break-in of the pump, where A LOT of other MS3 guys were having their pumps fail, I, just on me own, decided to use MMO during this period to try to help the pump break in smoothly and properly.

I've checked my pump and I get consistent 1800 to 1900 psi at WOT with spikes into the 2,000's! This is very impressive numbers compared to others with the same KMD v2.1 cam driven high pressure fuel pump upgraded internals. I since switched to Lucas, but only b/c I caught a HUGE sale of it, but it seems the car's not done as well on it as the MMO and not pulled the same PSI numbers as it did with the MMO.

I'm going to dump the last bit of Lucas fuel treatment in the wifes SUV on a full tank and pick up a gallon of MMO. Though I will keep the small Lucas bottle to use to put the MMO in so I can add it to my tank of gas easily, sort of like you did w/ the Regan.

Thank you so much for the knowledge! *leaves for W-M now. :p

I am glad to have been able to help. I have heard of only very few people who said MMO did nothing at all for their vehicle. Just about every post you read says that MMO did provide some benefit, no matter how small. It has been around a long time and I will keep using it as long as they keep making it.

I don't always answer or post in these MMO threads here because a lot of the time, sooner or later they become an MMO bashing post. I know it works for me so I just keep my thoughts to myself rather than get into some bunch of drama about it. MMO is a good additive that works great for thousands of other guys too and I am very glad to know it is working out for you as well.

New here - I been searching online about MMO and tires, and BITOG kept coming up (good thing). So I signed up.
I just started using MMO a couple days ago (fuel tanks), so I hope from what I been reading will reap me some benefits.
Bought MMO locally and all they carry was the smaller bottles, about a quart size. I bought 4 bottles - sure wish they sold it by the gallon. I asked the counter worker and no dice of gallon jugs being stocked. Maybe I'll have to check other stores, so I hope it's not hard to find the stuff by the gallon.
Oh, thanks to lurking around this site I nabbed a bottle of the Lucas Slick Mist and like it so far. Never heard of it until BITOG came up.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
New here - I been searching online about MMO and tires, and BITOG kept coming up (good thing). So I signed up.
I just started using MMO a couple days ago (fuel tanks), so I hope from what I been reading will reap me some benefits.
Bought MMO locally and all they carry was the smaller bottles, about a quart size. I bought 4 bottles - sure wish they sold it by the gallon. I asked the counter worker and no dice of gallon jugs being stocked. Maybe I'll have to check other stores, so I hope it's not hard to find the stuff by the gallon.
Oh, thanks to lurking around this site I nabbed a bottle of the Lucas Slick Mist and like it so far. Never heard of it until BITOG came up.

Eddie!! First of all

welcome2.gif

Glad to see a new member interested in MMO. I haven't seen gallon jugs of MMO either. But then again I've have to drive across the border to get it, so I'm not too picky
grin2.gif

Thanks - At least the 4 bottles should last me awhile to give me time to check around on who might carry the gallon jugs locally. I still have a few other chain automotive stores to check.
I'm not using it in everything yet - just 1 of 3 vehicles (drive 1-Hr 1-way to work), 1 of 2 motorcycles (HD), and the lawnmower (Honda HRX). The drive to/from work will consume it the fastest, but still should last me some time with 4 bottles.

My local Napa sells it by the gallon, so does Carquest. Even if your Napa or CQ don't stock the gallon container, they can still order it in for you. To me it's less trouble and costs less to just buy MMO in quart bottles at Walmart. On my occasional trip to Walmart I almost always pick up one or two quarts of MMO.

Thanks - I'll check out the local Wally's & Napa. I'd rather have the gallon jugs and put some in smaller thin neck bottles in measured amounts to get it into the tank fill opening.
I'll find a bottle I like in shape and size, maybe a fuel cleaner or something, dump that into the wife's SUV, just so I have a bottle to serve my purpose.
When I go on out of town travels, I'll carry the quart size for dumping a measured amount into a smaller bottle. For some reason, I'm not doing well trying to use the quart size getting a measured amount - I ended up spilling on the panel paint below the fuel fill. And that little trap door thing in the tank opening didn't help.

The best way I have found is to use an empty Regane bottle, the 7 oz. slender round one from the new concentrated formula. I always add 6 oz. MMO when I fill up so I just measured 6 oz. MMO into the bottle and made a mark with a Sharpie on the neck of the bottle.

Those bottles are very easy to pour into the gas tank and the open end will fit perfectly in the trap door on the fuel filler neck. They fit nicely in the map pocket on my door too. When you are traveling you can just bring a bottle of MMO with you and pour from the MMO bottle into the Regane bottle and dose it that way. Works great, no mess at all. I save all my empty Regane bottles just for this purpose. And I always carry a filled bottle in my truck so I have my MMO when I need it.

The 5.25 oz. Lucas bottles work well too, but they have a smaller neck and might be harder to fill, and they would hold less MMO than I use at each fuel fill. I found some empty Lucas bottles in a trash can at Autozone one day not long ago. I saved them in case I need to use them to dose any other additive in smaller amounts.

Well with all this MMO talk, I broke down and bought a quart today at WalMart to run in the gas and see how it does. I'm such a sheep following the herd!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
Well with all this MMO talk, I broke down and bought a quart today at WalMart to run in the gas and see how it does. I'm such a sheep following the herd!
smile.gif

I know how you feel, I couldn't take anymore myself and broke down too. I don't if it's going to take a tank, maybe 2,3,4, or how many before I can determine if/when it's going to do any good or not - each vehicle is different in it's own way.
So far I put in a dose to a full tank, ran out a half a tank, then today fill the tank with a dose. 4oz/10-Gal.
I'll continue using MMO for at least a few quart bottles then go from there. It does seem my Harley had no negative effects from a dose in it's tank - so I'll keep trying that too as well as my lawn mower.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
The best way I have found is to use an empty Regane bottle, the 7 oz. slender round one from the new concentrated formula. I always add 6 oz. MMO when I fill up so I just measured 6 oz. MMO into the bottle and made a mark with a Sharpie on the neck of the bottle.

Those bottles are very easy to pour into the gas tank and the open end will fit perfectly in the trap door on the fuel filler neck. They fit nicely in the map pocket on my door too. When you are traveling you can just bring a bottle of MMO with you and pour from the MMO bottle into the Regane bottle and dose it that way. Works great, no mess at all. I save all my empty Regane bottles just for this purpose. And I always carry a filled bottle in my truck so I have my MMO when I need it.

The 5.25 oz. Lucas bottles work well too, but they have a smaller neck and might be harder to fill, and they would hold less MMO than I use at each fuel fill. I found some empty Lucas bottles in a trash can at Autozone one day not long ago. I saved them in case I need to use them to dose any other additive in smaller amounts.

I think I'll get a bottle of the Regane, use it, then continue to use the bottle for the MMO. I read a bit about the Regane so I would like to try it too.
I guess when I dump the Regane in the tank, I won't add MMO with it for that tank as it will have some MMO from what will already be in the tank. Then I'll run it down probably to 1/3 tank, fill the tank with a dose of MMO at that time.

The best way to start using MMO is to first use a strong PEA-content fuel system cleaner like Regane or Red Line SL-1. Chevron Techron Concentrate (not the weaker Pro-Guard or Fuel Injector Cleaner) is also a good cleaner but I have heard it does not have as much PEA as Regane or Red Line. Regane is my favorite, because it works great and is easily available at Advance and Walmart. It is also cheapest at Walmart at $4.50 per bottle here. Red Line is a very good cleaner too, but the only place to buy it around here at Pep Boys over in Orlando, 20 miles from my house. I don't get over that way very often.

Most folks who use MMO (myself included) believe is it is best to not add any MMO to the tank when you are using a fuel system cleaner. Some do say it won't hurt anything to mix MMO and cleaners, but I just would rather dose one at a time. After you run the tank with the cleaner down to 1/4 tank or a little less, then add MMO in the amount it takes to dose at a ratio of 4 oz to each 10 gallons of fuel it takes to refill the tank. A little more or less won't hurt anything. It took me a time or two to figure out that just at the 1/4 tank mark on my gas gauge it will take 15 gallons to fill back up again, give or take half a gallon.

The key to success with MMO is consistency. I had to use it in a few consecutive tanks before I felt any noticeable improvement in performance or had any increase in MPG. Adding it to your oil will give almost an instant improvement in reduced engine noise and a nice smooth and even idle. MMO in the oil will help on cold starts too, but that is not a problem for me here in Florida. I have used MMO as a mild cleaner in my oil a few times. I always added it about 750 miles before my next oil change. The oil always drained out a much darker color, so I know it did do some good cleaning. Quaker State has turned out to be such a good oil for my truck that I see no need to use MMO in my oil at all now.

But I would not even think of buying gas without adding MMO. One day not long ago I was headed home from work, I needed to buy gas and saw that I had forgotten to refill the Regane bottle with MMO so I went out of my way to Autozone and paid about $5.00 for a quart of MMO so I could add it when I stopped to fill up.

You may also find that you need to play around and experiment with your regular dose of MMO. I tried adding different amounts to each tank of fuel until I figured out I get the best performance and MPG at the suggested 4 oz per each 10 gallons of fuel.

MMO is a great product and has been around for a very long time. The U.S. Military has been using it for decades. It should work just as well for you guys as it has for me and all the thousands of other guys who use it.

So it sounds like the consensus is you'll notice a difference in performance even if you're not experiencing any problems. Correct???

This morning before I left for work, I wrote Regane on the wife's Walmart listing on the fridge, among other listing in hopes that she hits up Walmart because I don't go there myself often.
Well she said she didn't go to Walfart today, but noticed my addition to her list, and asked what is it.... she though it was some hair or sex enhancer - lol At first I told her she was right, then learned not to do that.
I have a Walmart about 10-15 minutes away - it's a good thing because any further and I would think she would have many depressed days.
Anyway, I'll hit the Auto stores myself, and as a last resort send her to Walmart which is so easy to do.

They sell several different types of Gumout cleaners at Walmart. This is the one to use:

http://www.gumout.com/ourProducts/ReganeFSC.asp

They only have it in the round narrow 2X bottle now. There are a few places that may still have some of the older square style bottles. The only parts store I know of that carries Regane is Advance. Maybe if you have O'Reilly's they might have it too. We don't have O'Reilly's here.

Be sure you or your wife gets the Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner. The Gumout Fuel Injector looks very similar but is definitely not the same product or formulation as Regane.

Originally Posted By: lexrx3
So it sounds like the consensus is you'll notice a difference in performance even if you're not experiencing any problems. Correct???

"notice" being the key word. There has been no quantifiable/reproducible evidence suggesting MMO does anything in the fuel. It seems to be absolutely harmless, though.

I haven't noticed anything when using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back