MMO + DI Engines : User Experiences welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gas has little to no lubricity, it is totally different than diesel. MMO will increase the lubricity of gasoline, and after several decades of using it I have yet to replace a CC. TCW3 while very good as a UCL can easily foul spark plugs if too much is used. MMO is less likely to foul plugs even if severely overdosed. For a UCL flip a coin, for something that does a little more cleaning than TCW3 MMO is the better choice. As far as any of these products helping DI the jury is out as far as I'm concerned. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Gas has little to no lubricity, it is totally different than diesel. MMO will increase the lubricity of gasoline, and after several decades of using it I have yet to replace a CC. TCW3 while very good as a UCL can easily foul spark plugs if too much is used. MMO is less likely to foul plugs even if severely overdosed. For a UCL flip a coin, for something that does a little more cleaning than TCW3 MMO is the better choice. As far as any of these products helping DI the jury is out as far as I'm concerned. JMO

Good post.

As I understand it, the proper dose of TC-W3 for automobile gasoline engines is 1 oz. per 5 gallons. TC-W3 is designed to help keep plugs clean in 2 stroke engines, so overdosing should be the only way its use would foul plugs.

Originally Posted By: Donald
But unsure one should use TC3 oil in gas for lubricity given the cat.

I may have to run a TC-W3 high dosing experiment in my Burb. If it damages the cats, it will give me an excuse to spend money on replacement high-flow cats to go with my performance headers and catback exhaust!
laugh.gif

Man I am itching to run MMO in the Mazda. At like a 2 oz per 10 gallon ratio or something similar. Just to see how the engine reacts to it.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

As I understand it, the proper dose of TC-W3 for automobile gasoline engines is 1 oz. per 5 gallons. TC-W3 is designed to help keep plugs clean in 2 stroke engines, so overdosing should be the only way its use would foul plugs.

Overdosing with TCW3 can and will foul plugs. All I was saying was MMO is less likely to foul plugs even with a major OD. Both products are good UCL's MMO has the edge as far as cleaning goes. TCW3 is good, and its cheaper. So it boils down to picking one and using it if you want to bother with a UCL. 1 ounce/5 gallons of gas is what most people use and the reports seem to be good with TCW3.

I've used TCW3 and had no problems at all. In fact in worn out tired engines I found it to help reduce oil consumption better than MMO did. Opinions vary.

Originally Posted By: bourne

Man I am itching to run MMO in the Mazda. At like a 2 oz per 10 gallon ratio or something similar. Just to see how the engine reacts to it.

Good idea. I use 4oz/10gallons when I run it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Good idea. I use 4oz/10gallons when I run it.

2 ounces of TCW3 to 10 gallons of gas is about the limit. 3-4ounces of MMO to 10 gallons of gas is about right. If I were you, I'd start with 3 ounces and work up, see what/if anything happens. Don't expect to see much from a healthy good running engine. Older engines seem to run a bit smoother, and use a little less oil with a UCL. At least that's been my experience with a few over the years. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: greenfordtruck
I use MMO at a rate of 2 ounces per 10 gallons of gas in a 2012 Transit Connect 2.0. The engine performs better with MMO added.

Thank you for your input. I checked on the vehicle, unfortunately the Transit 2.0 is a Duratec engine and not the DI version that Ford uses in their Focus.

Originally Posted By: greenfordtruck
I use MMO at a rate of 2 ounces per 10 gallons of gas in a 2012 Transit Connect 2.0. The engine performs better with MMO added.

Thank you for your input. I checked on the vehicle, unfortunately the Transit 2.0 is a Duratec engine and not the DI version that Ford uses in their Focus.

Thank you for correcting me.

I have added MMO to my Audi/VW 2.0TFSI engine for a couple tanks. The engine got a bit smoother and slightly higher MPG. I think it was the lubricity. It works for me!

But i stop using it at every fill-up since the awkward application...
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vwGLI
I have added MMO to my Audi/VW 2.0TFSI engine for a couple tanks. The engine got a bit smoother and slightly higher MPG. I think it was the lubricity. It works for me!

frown.gif

Trouble looms for you. MMO is NOT approved for use.

The ONLY thing besides pump gas you should even think about adding is a off the shelf Fuel System Cleaner with PEA in it, like Chevron Techron or similar. Actually VW and Audi product is rebranded Techron.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: vwGLI

frown.gif

Trouble looms for you. MMO is NOT approved for use.

The ONLY thing besides pump gas you should even think about adding is a off the shelf Fuel System Cleaner with PEA in it, like Chevron Techron or similar. Actually VW and Audi product is rebranded Techron.

....which doesn't do anything for the intake deposits.

Preventing fuel sensor fouling, different story

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Neither will MMO, EVEN if you fed it through a vacuum line into that intake.

PEA when atomized even in small amounts will hit those intake valves although not as completely as if the fuel was sprayed directly on them.

Best bet is to use something like the 3M DIY kit.
Periodically.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Neither will MMO, EVEN if you fed it through a vacuum line into that intake.

PEA when atomized even in small amounts will hit those intake valves although not as completely as if the fuel was sprayed directly on them.

Best bet is to use something like the 3M DIY kit.
Periodically.

the 3M DIY kit is best used often, as if you're misfiring from intake deposits, it will barely make a dent in it. At that level, you'll have to pull the intake manifold and scrape it clean.

the DIY kit, well, only the spray part, you have to use it early and do it often.

The only checmical treatment shown to touch DI deposits to this point is BG's DI service.

Seafoam and 3m intake kits only clean the soft deposits. They can't touch the hard deposits on the valves.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The only checmical treatment shown to touch DI deposits to this point is BG's DI service.

Seafoam and 3m intake kits only clean the soft deposits. They can't touch the hard deposits on the valves.

BG's DI service requires removal of the intake manifold. From there, then they use chemical cleaners to soften the gunk and remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back