Premium gasoline for GDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and my 2018 Sportage 2.4L has never seen but a couple gallons of 93 because something was wrong with pumps at the Shell station I used that day. Strictly 87 for her.

Originally Posted by wolf_06
Hi folks,

I recently bought a brand new 2018 Mazda 3 GS six speed auto with the 2.0L skyactiv GDI engine.

The owners manual recommend regular octane 87 fuel, but higher grade like 93 can be used.

This topic has probably been on here several times, but is the higher octane would benefit the the 2.0 skyactive engine? Since its a slightly higher compression engine, the manual doesnt recommend using fuel with a certain % of ethanol in it, not sure exacly how much the %, but here in Canada, gas stations sometime mention "up to 10% ethanol", only shell doesnt have any.

Should I stick with regular only or go higher grade gas to be safe. Some Mazda forums say the skyactive is design for regular gas, how true this is?

Please share your opinion on this.

Thank you!

I have a 2016 ford fusion and 2018 ford fusion with the 1.5 GDI Turbo Ecoboost engines. The operators manual states that they are designed to use 87 octane fuel but best performance is with 91 octane fuel or higher.

Last edited:
It was mentioned earlier but it should be reiterated that the Mazda SkyActiv engines run a 13:1 compression ratio.

This is why I like the GDI engine in my wife's Equinox..... it is flex fuel. 11.2 compression ratio and can use E85. We just use E85. 100 octane and $1.72 a gallon right now. And keeps the injectors and combustion chamber nice and clean. Sure, the mpg is less, but at the current cost of E85, none of the other fuels deliver as low of a cost per mile even with their higher mpg.

Skyactiv engines... they are 13:1 but the intake cam phasor apparently some of the time retards intake valve closure so that effectively the CR is less. Under heavy load... and at lower rpm's probably, delayed intake valve closure along with fuel enrichment and ignition timing retard to tailor all to the fuel being used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Skyactiv engines... they are 13:1 but the intake cam phasor apparently some of the time retards intake valve closure so that effectively the CR is less. Under heavy load... and at lower rpm's probably, delayed intake valve closure along with fuel enrichment and ignition timing retard to tailor all to the fuel being used.

That's true. Both intake and exhaust valves are computer controlled depending on a variety of conditions. It is more complicated that just stating a 13:1 CR. The timing is also variable depending on many factors. I don't understand half of it but as long as it runs smooth then that is all I need.

The example of the G Vectoring Control is a good one.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/first-test-mazdas-g-vectoring-technology/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back