Mixing oil weight/Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DavidJones
I've heard that oil blends like you are asking about can form a greasy gelatinous blob when stirred by a push rod engine. Use care.

Not if they meet ASTM D6922, which they do if they meet API specifications. That's exactly what it addresses.

I will gladly mix 2 different brands / weights of oil, but 3+ brands is outside of my comfort zone. You'll *probably* be fine.
Personally I would mix the Mobil and Castrol for 1 service, then mix the PUP and Valvoline for another service.

I keep an empty jug and pour in whatever I have left over from several oil changes I do. I finally have a full 5 qt jug. Mostly a mix of 0w20, 5w20, and 5w30 (very little 5w30). I'm really nor sure where I'm going to use it. Most likely in the Van next summer.

I try to do as little mixing as possible. When I do I'll only use one quart mixed in with 3 quarts of the other oil. In the other car that takes five quarts I'll use one quart of the different oil along with 4 quarts of the main oil. So kind of a 75/25 or 80/20 mix in ratio.

I had this car gobbling up oil with mostly hwy miles when using MC 5w20 syn-blend. Topped off with Mobil 5000 and after a thousand miles or so it burned another quart. Topped off again with some Valvoline Maxlife along with changing the pcv valve. No more oil burning after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back