Mixing oil weight/Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want everyone opinion.
I have may oil brands I need to use up.

I have valvoline max life red bottle 1 quart left
Mobil 1 HM 3 quarts left
Castrol edge 3 quarts left
Will have 4 quarts PUP after this weekend.

Would you mix them at an oil change to get rid of it ?
Oil change 6 quarts for me on both trucks

Last edited:
In warm weather or a warm climate, and you're covered either way, no harm and no foul.
Maybe not best practice, but certainly an acceptable way of using up some odd amounts of leftover oil.

Mix anything together that you like. As long as it is all API-certified engine oil, all is good.

In your location, mix away.
I have used mixes of 5 different brands (Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil, Supertech) that were 5w-20, 5w-30, SAE 30 and 10w-40, a mix of conventional and synthetic.

The only time mixing oils may become a slight problem is if your in really cold sub freezing temps, the winter weight is not going be what you would expect, but again, in Florida, not a concern.

On the right are the corporatist naysayers...on the left are the "pfft, won't harm a thing - heck, I even put my leftover Crisco in there" crowd. Which will you choose..

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by double vanos
Indeed! Frankenbrews rock!

+1

Last edited:
Is this the #1 question on here? The answer should be a sticky.

The truthful answer is that there is no guarantee it will meet any of the approvals, certifications or licenses listed on either container but it will be a safe mixture since ASTM D6922 provides for miscibility.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Mix away

tbit.... Yep, mix any way you want. However, according to my basic math, you are one quart short of having the needed 12 quarts for two oil changes. So go buy a quart of something else.
Make a Frankenstein brew. It's fun and no worries about it needing to be drained sooner than normal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fdcg27
In warm weather or a warm climate, and you're covered either way, no harm and no foul.
Maybe not best practice, but certainly an acceptable way of using up some odd amounts of leftover oil.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

I did a 50/50 mix of Super S and Cam2 5w30 in my lady's Camry.... Though it ran loud on it.

I've had some mixtures run better than any one brand ever has - and some run terrible.

Lets us know what works.

Use fuel mileage and Engine Noise as a guide.

Dump in recycling and use the right oil. But what do I know, I'm sure it doesn' hurt anything but no way I'd do this in any of my cars b/c well, just not how I roll!

Mixing will be fine.
On the cars in my sig, the bmw takes only 4.2 liters to fill including filter.
The lexus takes about 6.something.

I despise purchasing an extra 5 liters just for an additional liter, so I'll take the additional one liter of 15w40 from the bmw and mix it with the five liters of 5w30 for the lexus.
Car seems to almost run a little smoother despite being spec'd for only 5w30.

I'm going to try not to go too overboard in the mixing of the oils I have maybe only two brands at a time

I buy whatever oil is on sale at the time. Seldom, if ever, the same brand twice in a row. This results in almost always using a mix of oils. No problems for the last 50 years.

I've heard that oil blends like you are asking about can form a greasy gelatinous blob when stirred by a push rod engine. Use care.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Dump in recycling and use the right oil. But what do I know, I'm sure it doesn' hurt anything but no way I'd do this in any of my cars b/c well, just not how I roll!

Let your car do the rolling ...€

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back