Mixing M1 15W50 and Valvoline FS HM 5W30

Hello,

Currently creating my own 10W-40 HM. I am mixing M1 FS 15W50 and Valvoline FS HM MaxLife 5W-30 at a ratio of 50/50. Are the base stocks going to mix okay? I think they will, just wanted to make sure and see what the experts thought about it. All the technical stuff is above my head. Just wanted a 40 weight HM.

Thanks

Hello,

Currently creating my own 10W-40 HM. I am mixing M1 FS 15W50 and Valvoline FS HM MaxLife 5W-30 at a ratio of 50/50. Are the base stocks going to mix okay? I think they will, just wanted to make sure and see what the experts thought about it. All the technical stuff is above my head. Just wanted a 40 weight HM.

Thanks

You and the Jaguar guy should get together.

If you want to mix oils of different viscosities it would be best to do it with the same brand and product line. PCMOs are formulated,
meaning the additive components and base oils are engineered to be balanced for optimal results. Mixing brands can throw all that expensive engineering out of whack.

I wouldn't go out of my way to mix a special garage blend of oil viscosity. However, I would top up with a different weight oil if that's only what was available at the time.

Hello,

Thanks
Are you doing this because it's what you have laying around and want to use it up? If so it's your vehicle so do as you like but if no then I would just get Maxlife 10w40 and leave the blending to the blenders.

Hello,

Thanks
Sounds like a good mix to me. I have quite a bit of oil of various weights and brands (bought on clearance), and am a regular mixer for my old beaters, lawn mowers, and such. Have not had an engine conk out yet from running witches brew mixes, knock on wood.

Think of just how many cars burn oil. Do people always make sure they use the exact same oil as top off? Of course not - most of the time, they just dump in whatever is handy/cheap/given to them.
Oils all mix together just fine. Mix all you want. You will create something close to what you want.

For top up, just use whatever, if you have excess you need to use go on ahead, but I don't see the benefit if you just want 10W40 full syn high mileage oil, just buy an already formulated 10W40 higmileage oil like Mobil1 HM of Edge HM. All API oils will mix just fine, having a full sump is always better than a low sump but with 10W40 full syn high mileage already being available I don't see why you need to play guess work in trying to blend your own which may blend oils that use slightly different anti wear additives that while it won't blow up your engine may be sub optimal compared to something that has been fully formulated and tested and proven.

Are you doing this because it's what you have laying around and want to use it up? If so it's your vehicle so do as you like but if no then I would just get Maxlife 10w40 and leave the blending to the blenders.
I am mixing M1 15W50 and Valvoline FS HM 5W30 because I buy it cheap at walmart and they don't have any 40 weights HM at my walmart.

Walmart.com does free shipping on orders over $35, you're gonna buy 2 jugs anyways so just buy 2 jugs of 10W40 at a time online to get free shipping.

I'm going to mix 0W20 with some axle grease, moly bearing gease, and a dash of anti sieze to get a stout 5W35.67 with a ton of anti wear additives. I will spend a total of $200 dollars to make a 5 quart jug instead of getting the approved oil at Walmart for around $28 dollars a jug. How much grease should I add?

I'm going to mix 0W20 with some axle grease, moly bearing gease, and a dash of anti sieze to get a stout 5W35.67 with a ton of anti wear additives. I will spend a total of $200 dollars to make a 5 quart jug instead of getting the approved oil at Walmart for around $28 dollars a jug. How much grease should I add?
I'm thinking a tablespoon of each.

What engine is it exactly and any motor oil will mix fine especially if its in the same base oil range and i wouldn't be afraid. I'd try Quaker state euro 5w-40 at Walmart. 19 bucks for a 5qt although not HM and on the thinner side.

But why get a HM oil? oil burning, leaking, or just because it says to use it beyond x mileage.

I'd use a diesel oil like delvac, rotella t4, supertech, delo or the travelers brand at tractor supply if you can get it, great stuff. Around 10-13 for a gal jug for all if you want a more high mileage friendly oil.

Back