Mixing Dino with Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I am running Mobile clean 5000 5w-30 and Napa gold filter and my OCI are 5,000 miles. I was thinking about using 4qts of Mobile and 1qt of Synthetic and extending my OCI to 7,500 miles. Do you think this would offer the same amount of protection as my Dino 5,000 OCI? Before you say just run all Synthetic I cannot afford $50 oil changes..I get 5qts of Mobile at Wally world for $10 and my Napa discount gets my gold filter for $5.

Last edited:
7500 OCI would be fine if you use 1 quart of Mobil 1 with 4 quarts of conventional. Not sure about the "Mobile" oil you mentioned.

If you go to the Mobil 1 website (promotions), you can get two $10 Mail-in-Rebate coupons for a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 0W-30 or 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy. Regular price is about $22.00 for the Mobil 1 jug in most Walmart's.

synthetic 10w30 has the cold flow properties of conventional 5w30. one quart of synth 10w30 to 4 quarts conventional 5w30 would improve the shear stability, make the mix more durable for 7500 miles+++, and still keep the flow properties you need when starting a cold engine. that's what i do, exactly.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
7500 OCI would be fine if you use 1 quart of Mobil 1 with 4 quarts of conventional. Not sure about the "Mobile" oil you mentioned.

He's talking about the Mobil Clean 5000 he uses now for 5k runs. Many people put an extra "E" at the end of Mobil.

Can you afford a 25.00 dollar oil change? Buy PP be the jug at Walmart.

But yes you can mix it and it will last as long as your straight dino did. I think any benefit you might get by only adding 1 qt would be minimal so why do it?

Don't they have the Mobil Clean 7500 that is already a blend?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Don't they have the Mobil Clean 7500 that is already a blend?

Almost alwasy cheaper (and better) to blend your own synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
He's talking about the Mobil Clean 5000 he uses now for 5k runs. Many people put an extra "E" at the end of Mobil.

Really??

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
synthetic 10w30 has the cold flow properties of conventional 5w30. one quart of synth 10w30 to 4 quarts conventional 5w30 would improve the shear stability, make the mix more durable for 7500 miles+++, and still keep the flow properties you need when starting a cold engine. that's what i do, exactly.

If I were going to make my own synthetic blend, I would not use a 10W-30 synthetic. It probably has fewer high quality components (base stocks and additives) than 0W-20, 5W-30, or 0W-30 synthetic oils. It's not important that the viscosity of the 1 quart of synthetic exactly matches the viscosity of the other 4 quarts of conventional oil when making a synthetic blend.

Disturban:

Not to nitpick, and don't feel bad, because this mistake gets made often here, and pounced upon almost as quickly.

Mobile (with an e on the end) = mid-sized city on the Alabama gulf coast.

Mobil = the company that sells motor oil (actually Exxon-Mobil, but you get the drift).

Well, if you want to keep Mo-bills in your pocket, you can do it by spending less on dino oil changes, or spend more on full synth and change it less often.
Longer oil changes often are less expensive with full synth.
Of course, sales and buying at appropriate times is a huge key.

Mixing? It's fine -no problems and may even have some benefit.
But I would simply use the dino alone.
You see, you have no idea how long the extra qt. of synth will make the oil last.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Disturban:

Not to nitpick, and don't feel bad, because this mistake gets made often here, and pounced upon almost as quickly.

Mobile (with an e on the end) = mid-sized city on the Alabama gulf coast.

Mobil = the company that sells motor oil (actually Exxon-Mobil, but you get the drift).
Spell check did that! Clicky clicky and thats what I got...lol! I fixed for your viewing pleasure.

Originally Posted By: disturban
... Spell check did that! Clicky clicky and thats what I got...lol! I fixed for your viewing pleasure.

No problem whatsoever! This is the forum in which we don't tolerate the raging, flaming, idiotic personal attacks that are so prevalent on lower quality discussion forums (fora?). I just point this out when I see it (particularly as I drive through "Mobile" on a regular basis) (and try not to stop there...
wink.gif
). Anyway, thanks for your valuable contribution to the conversation on BITOG. Just remember -- your computer is supposed to serve you -- not the other way around! Have a great weekend.
cheers3.gif

Mmmm guess I cant fix because there is no edit option?

You should be seeing an edit option for some period after you post. If you're not, please let me know, and I'll get with our "under the hood" software guy to address that problem.

Originally Posted By: brian12

Your engine will catch fire and explode and you will destroy the universe! Don't mix dino with synthetic!

thumbsup2.gif
That is most likely what will happen.
27.gif

As it was explained to me by someone I trust, the problem is not so much in mixing base oils as it is in blending add packs. I would do some research and see if the add packs were truly compatible, same detergents, antioxidants especially.

One of two things will happen when mixing syn and dino.
1 The dino will become a better oil and perform better if you add syn to it
2 The syn will perform at a lower level if you add dino to it

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
One of two things will happen when mixing syn and dino.
1 The dino will become a better oil and perform better if you add syn to it
2 The syn will perform at a lower level if you add dino to it

3. Both of the above.

Mmmm guess I cant fix because there is no edit option?

There is an edit option, but after a certain amount of time after the original post, it is disabled for that post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back