Mixing Dino with Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's why I always blend my own. Much more satisfactory, and much cheaper. I notice WallyWorld has rolled back Mobile1, so finally I will be using some of this oil: 2.5qt 0w30 M1, 1.5qt PZ YB5w20 (to thin out the high cSt) and 1qt Napa synth 5w30 for a 5qt crankcase.
11$ + 3.50 + 3.00 = $17.50 For the Afghanistani winter, this will provide nice startup properties in the cold, and still protect the engine from heavy loads on steep mountain climbs.
During the summer, 1 qt Napa synth 10w30, 1 qt Napa synth 5w30, with 3 quartz Valvoline conventional 5w30 does the trick, for $4 less.

I just don't see the point. Run a quality dino for a short oil change or a full syn for longer oil changes. Why monkey around with homebrews. How do you know that the add packs are compatible and complimenting each other or working against each other. That is what oil companies have large R&D budgets for.

Last edited:
only time I mix is when I am short a quart . With a couple of 6 qt sumps I often add the sixth quart on whatever I have laying around .. My jeep is running 5 qts QS gb with a quart of tropartic...The Ford Explorere is going to get 5 qts PP wit 1 qt qs GB. I am not at all concerned about it. I am not buying or making an additional trip to buy a mathcing 6th quart, if I don't have it on hand I will use whatever I have that is in spec. This is the lubrication of a reciprocating internal cumbustion engine that contaminates tyhe oil the first time I fire it up after an oil change, Maintaining some artificial purity of oil is not neccesary.
Keep it clean (filtration)and do the maintenance as required (factory specs OCI's). the engine will last.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I'm not the one saying how much of whatever oil costs how much. I'm asking for YOUR numbers, disregarding the incompatible additive packs.

Something like this:
5q of $2 dino oil containing x% of G-II basestock mixed with 1q of $6 synth oil containing y% of G-III basesstock > $3 semisynth oil that has 10% or so "syntheric" content...

Show your work.

First I said this:

Any time dino is mixed with synthetic the synthetic quailty is lowered. OTOH anytime synthetic is added to dino the dino quality would be better. Making your own blend would offer a better mix than a factory synthetic blend. At this point I run either synthetic or dino, and might make my own blend for the winter this year. JMO

PLEASE NOTE JMO and others in the thread have said similar things.
----------------------------------------------------------
Next I said this: I never used a synthetic blend, but from reading here, I would make my own. EG: a 50/50 mix of PP and YB would probably be a better blend than anything I would be able to buy. Or a 75% dino 25% synthetic, etc. JMO

AGAIN JMO- But I did chat with the People at Pennzoil and they said mixing their products is not a problem, but of coarse would rather see a person use PP. No issues with compatability with Pennzoil. I am also willing to bet a 50/50 mix would yeild a product better than YB.
---------------------------------------------------------------
And then finally said this:

I see no problem with what you want to do. My only feeling is that I'm not sure how much better your blend will be with only 1 qt of synthetic oil. My guess is it will be better than a factory blend that contains 10% synthetic oil as many speculate.

If you plan on doing UOA's as you mention the preferred method is after the second run of an oil, or blend in your case so you get more accurate results.

In short, go for it! Keep us posted on your results.
-------------------------------------------------------
Sorry no numbers, but there are some UOA's that have show nice results mixing, and there are plenty of BITOG members doing it.

I have no idea why you think I was addressing you.

This is the one post I refered to:

Originally Posted By: Mark888

Almost alwasy cheaper (and better) to blend your own synthetic blend.

I just don't get what adding a quart of G-III oil that costs $6 to 5q of G-II+ oil is supposed to do.

Really, I don't. I understand the whole "get more percentage of synth base oil" thing, but I just don't see it explained with actual numbers. See, then it might make sense, but nobody seems to know what those numbers are, they just claim success in the face of , umm..."not knowing".

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

Mark888 said:
Almost alwasy cheaper (and better) to blend your own synthetic blend.

I just don't get what adding a quart of G-III oil that costs $6 to 5q of G-II+ oil is supposed to do.

Really, I don't. I understand the whole "get more percentage of synth base oil" thing, but I just don't see it explained with actual numbers. See, then it might make sense, but nobody seems to know what those numbers are, they just claim success in the face of , umm..."not knowing".

Well that clears it up!

When I see in the little bar above the reply something to the effect that you were replying to me. I responded, it gets confusing. Anyway all is good! BTW-HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I just don't see the point. Run a quality dino for a short oil change or a full syn for longer oil changes. Why monkey around with homebrews. How do you know that the add packs are compatible and complimenting each other or working against each other. That is what oil companies have large R&D budgets for.

I do exactly that, it was BITOG and the Scoobie brews that got me thinking. I went as far as calling Pennzoil and was reassured their products are all compatable since it would be their oils I'd mix if I were doing it.

Since no one knows much about the blends, and their %'s it sounded like a good idea, a few UOA's to back it up, why not? In fact there were are some good UOA's with people who have done it.

For me its Dino for the Aerostar, and Synthetic for the Jeep and E-150. Aerostar experiments are coming though.

That is why I don't run blends. You don't know what the %'s are in them. Either be happy with Dino or get the full benefits of Syn oil and be happy.

I saw some DuraBlend on clearance and I checked the label for the specs. (anymore, the only criteria I use to judge an oil is it's specs) Anyway, the DuraBlend has an ACEA A1 rating. From my recent research, that's a serious spec....many fool synth oils carry it. So that's what it took for Valvoline to meet that spec, just a small percent of premium basestock (who cares how much) and it took a premium additive package too, something you are NOT getting when DIY blending in a bunch of dino oil!

The lack of cost/effectiveness when DIY blending is as easy target. The "value" is just not there. Look at it this way...how much $6 A1 "full" synth do you have to blend in to dino to make it equal the A1 rating on $3 DuraBlend?

It's hard to find the published data, but Mobile at least gives a few figures. Mobil 1 0w30 vs Mobil 1 5000 5w20 vs M1 7500 5w20. First notice, by definition the 0w30 should be superior, but would you expect the cold properties to be SO superior to the semi-synth 7500 5w20 - myself, I was surprised:
5000 5w20 MRV 21400 -35C
7500 5w20 MRV 12400 -35C
AFE 0w30 MRV 11100 -40C

The semi synth 7500 is 60% of the MRV of the conventional.
The full synth, with 0w30 drops the temperature from -35C to -40C, and even then it pumps more freely. The AFE is such an astonishingly good oil, that you are nuts to dilute it. This holds for Mobil, but other companies do not produce the same group 4, but sell group 3 and call it synthetic. In those cases, it is not so crazy to mix group 3 and group 2, but I would not mix a group 4, because it just seems wasteful, and you will not get the full benefit of the group 4. Especially now that WallyWorld sells AFE 0w30 for 22$, this is a bargain that easily is much better value than any of the other synthetics they carry, inclusing PZ platinum, and Castrol edge.

Pennzoil Platinum, even 0w20 does not light a candle to M1 0w30
PZ Plat 0w20 MRV 17500 -40C
5w20 MRV 9700 -35C which does beat the Mobil 1 7500 5w20.
M1 0w30 MRV 11100 -40C
Net result: for REAL cold, M1 AFE 0w30 beats all, at 22$a jug is now a bargain.

OT- Captain Klink I see your location as Afghanistan. My boy is there now. Stay safe!

Frank D

OT- Captain Klink I see your location as Afghanistan. My boy is there now. Stay safe!

Frank D

Frank best wishes for your son, My hat off to him and my at most respect!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif
08.gif

Thanks Frank, thanks for your kind wishes. As you know this is not a job for the faint at heart, because we face dangers here on a daily basis. Our mission is to give muscle to the directives of our elected commander-in-chief, while he goes about the diplomatic role of gaining support for our mission using soft diplomatic power - that is why we are so confident there will be a satisfactory outcome; the military might can drive al Qaeda out of a stronghold, but diplomatic might and leadership can make sure they have no where to retreat to. We are extremely happy with the way our C-I-C managed to singlehandedly change the Lebanese leadership in our favor, simply by giving a speech and quoting the Koran a few times - and probably the same thing is going to happen in Iran within a week. We fully expect many of the enemy's recruits are simply going to desert their posts and go back home, and as for the rest of them, the common people are going to realize that Americans are fighting for them, and they will no longer give refuge, food and shelter for these radicals.

Best wishes for your son, you and your family!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
Thanks Frank, thanks for your kind wishes. As you know this is not a job for the faint at heart, because we face dangers here on a daily basis. Our mission is to give muscle to the directives of our elected commander-in-chief, while he goes about the diplomatic role of gaining support for our mission using soft diplomatic power - that is why we are so confident there will be a satisfactory outcome; the military might can drive al Qaeda out of a stronghold, but diplomatic might and leadership can make sure they have no where to retreat to. We are extremely happy with the way our C-I-C managed to singlehandedly change the Lebanese leadership in our favor, simply by giving a speech and quoting the Koran a few times - and probably the same thing is going to happen in Iran within a week. We fully expect many of the enemy's recruits are simply going to desert their posts and go back home, and as for the rest of them, the common people are going to realize that Americans are fighting for them, and they will no longer give refuge, food and shelter for these radicals.

Best wishes for your son, you and your family!!!

Captain_Klink Best wishes to you and your family, and thanks for your service!
10.gif

StevieC- thanks for your kind words!
cheers3.gif

Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back