Mix up all my leftovers for my next oil change

My dads farm truck (old Ford) gets left over half courts of whatever he is using for the normal vehicles. Once he gets 6 quarts, they go into the old truck. God only knows what that truck has gotten over the years, but it gets a fresh oil change once a year with the mystery brew. He usually uses Pennzoil, but has been using Supertech as of late.

No idea how many miles on the truck, but probably 10 million.

Use it! How does the sum of the contents at up to less?
My next oil change I do will be a similar concoction. Every oil change I do takes about 4.5 quarts. I always have a pint left over. Got a 5 qt jug full of leftovers now, or at least enough for a 4.5 at oil change.
It's all OW-20 oil but a mix Mobil 1AFE, Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, and Valvoline. Basically I buy whatever is on rollback or best deal at Walmart.
Cant beat price of the $3.97 MC FL-910s spec filter for my needs.

I'll argue why keep using the same oil? Every oil makers has oil that may have an advantage over1 or another brand. Some oil may claim to be cleaner. Keep pistons cleaner. Some oil may be better with zinc additives. Some oil may be better for oil seal additives.ots how they market the product. Use different oils at different changes. Get the best well rounded protection.

I would only deliberately mix different brands of oil in a beater. I put a mix of 3 different (left over) oils in my daughter's 15 year old Toyota Corolla - easy on oil, and not fussy either.

I'd be comfortable mixing different weights of the same brand of oil however.

My dads farm truck (old Ford) gets left over half courts of whatever he is using for the normal vehicles. Once he gets 6 quarts, they go into the old truck. God only knows what that truck has gotten over the years, but it gets a fresh oil change once a year with the mystery brew. He usually uses Pennzoil, but has been using Supertech as of late.

No idea how many miles on the truck, but probably 10 million.

Worked a couple summers in High School as a shop gopher for a repair shop that did not do stand alone oil changes but would do oil changes for customers that were in for other repairs that had their vehicle up on a lift and if the customer brought their own oil & filters.

The shop did the same thing of taking the partial leftover quarts and empty container drippings and would service the shop truck (old Ford Ranger) with what was probably a Heinz-57 concoction of many various oil brands and grades. Stopped in like 10 years later and that old Ford Ranger was still humming along.

Some additive as zinc need to be above a certain level to work at all. Some newer oils do not use zinc. So if you mix the two then that purposed additive of each of the mixed oils are only there at half of the needed concentrations.

Ali
While I agree with your overall hesitation to not take an oil outside it's designed additive concentrations, I don't know of any zinc (ZDDP) free PCMOs, especially when talking about Euro oils that usually have ZDDP levels of about 1000ppm.

API says a PCMO needs a Phos (in ZDDP) level of between 600 to 800 ppm.

Also with additives I believe it's the law of diminishing returns, meaning as you put in more and more of the additive, each additional 10ppm (say) has less of an effect, compared to the previous 10ppm. But I don't believe there is any reasonable lower level where the additives suddenly stop working. The additives themselves should always work, but there may be less of then to do the job.

It didn't blow up is the BITOG standard.
I've mixed oils before and the engine never blew up, so it is a great idea.
Yep, and I want to hear about it here

No oil monitor here! Not as fancy as BMWs lol
I think they were just referring to your Service Level 1 indicator (which includes an OLM component to it), not something that actually monitors the condition of the oil. Most brands just use a formula to determine oil life based on things like hours, temperature, fuel consumed, perhaps driving style...etc.

Back