*MIX*- M1 Euro 0w-40 & Val PB "Restore" 10w-30, 9.3k OCI

Hand written is the most recent results from Oil Analyzers Inc.

Stock 2002 5.7L LS1 w/60k miles when I bought it Feb 2023.

I use it 70% hwy, 30% local.

OLM=27% remaining. Car gets 27 mpg hwy, 22 mpg local.

It consumed 1 qt of oil, and the catch can I installed last summer caught 1/2 qt. Makeup oil was 1.5 qts of Valvoline PB "Restore".

Oil filter was a Fram Ultra XG3506. I cut it open and found no carbon in bottom of the pleats.

Engine internal surfaces looked clean when I changed the valve cover gaskets half way thru this OCI.

I ran 6 or 7 bottles of Chevron Techron during this OCI. This fixed the gas gauge issue.

I did a UOA of the oil that was in the car when I bought it. I was told it was M1. It looked clean. The only thing out of the norm was a CU# of 78 ppm? I don't know what is causing the CU#.

What say you?

02 C5  UOA.JPG

Silicon is really high. If it's not from silicone sealant from recent engine work, it's probably from dust. Check your air filtration.

Iron/mile was 2.5x higher on the second half of the OCI. Maybe related to the silicon.

I ran 6 or 7 bottles of Chevron Techron during this OCI. This fixed the gas gauge issue.
6 or 7 bottles of Techron between OCIs is a bit much. It contaminates the oil and can cause sludge and varnish. Chevron published a study a few years ago showing that it can greatly increase engine varnish when used at 3 treatments per OCI (though I think they may have reduced the PEA concentration in their products since then).

The only thing out of the norm was a CU# of 78 ppm? I don't know what is causing the CU#.
Copper seems to be 50 ppm. It's only double the universal average, and on a long OCI, so I wouldn't worry about it. Copper often comes from oil coolers.

I agree with @twX. Chevron says not to use more than once per 3000 miles AND no more than two bottles per oil change.
I normally wouldn't, but it did fix the fuel level sender issue.

Shortly after I bought the vehicle the fuel level sender started acting up. So the fix from those on C5 Corvette forums is to run Techron in the fuel. So, I added a dose to the fuel tank at each of the next 5 fill-ups until the sender stopped acting up.

Copper is lower this 9.3k run. so that's good. The Fe did rise a good bit though. Was it from the Restore? Maybe LOL. It all seems to be all within BS's universal avg's. I'd say it was a good run! I tried running some cleaner to temp. fix my Fuel level sensor but it didn't work...maybe I should've used more. :unsure: Either way I ended up having the shop put in a new one so it works now & I'd recommend you do the same as I'm sure you've contemplated sometime in the future. Calculating mileage for a tank of fuel can be annoying enough you don't want to do it that many times.

Back