MityVac 7201 Problem

I tried to use my MV 7201 last week to change the oil in the 2019 Outback.
I got it set up, the tubing into the dipstick tube and “bottomed out,” and checked that the metal valve on top of the unit was closed and the unit set to “extract.”

When I began the instructed ten pumps of the handle I noticed a slight hissing sound from the unit.

And I ultimately was only able to extract 1.5 of the 5 quarts in the oil pan.

I figured out that a) I needed a more narrow diameter tubing and, b) that I had pushed the tubing in too far and created a kink that prevented a full extraction flow. (See photo).

No worries. I used a smaller diameter piece of tubing and it went in easier in spite of the 90-degree turn in the dipstick tube.

I doubled checked to ensure it was at the bottom of the oil pan (the tubing was not going in any further), gave it ten pumps, and listened to the now expected slight hissing noise each time I depressed the handle.

And once again, I only managed 1.5 quarts on the extraction.

The tubing was not kinked in any way this time. And yes, that 1.5 quart draw the second time was after a 50 minute wait.

I am wondering if I have an issue (leak) with this new 7201? Or am I doing something wrong in my actual usage of this extractor?

Attachments

• 7D4672B5-FB54-48AA-8C28-9933C30E2916.jpeg
    7D4672B5-FB54-48AA-8C28-9933C30E2916.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 560EF504-D02F-4BB9-B07A-8838230582A6.jpeg
    560EF504-D02F-4BB9-B07A-8838230582A6.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 185
I get a rough measure of the proper tube depth using the dipstick. I will probably only use the smaller tube going forward.
When inserting, if you feel an obstruction, pull, twist and push the tube, again noting the dipstick length comparison.
The hissing sound may be from the top port; tighten the metal lever to seal properly.

It is possible that some engines are not a good candidate for the MityVac extractor.
Good luck.

Last edited:
If there was a leak I would have thought minimal or zero vacuum would exist.

Having not solved the problem during the attempted oil change, I switched to “evacuate,” pumped the handle eight times, and emptied the oil into a 5-quart container in less than one minute.

I’m changing the oil in the Santa Fe in another 700 miles.

I’ll try it with that 3.3L engine and see how the 7201 fares.

Sorry it's not going well . Purchased a HOLT 2.3 gallon extractor . Haven't opened the box and get 90 days to return unopened for full refund . Talk about timing with the performance . Keep us up to date .

Oil extractors wont work on all cars. Have to make sure it was designed for this. None of mine will draw more than a quart by design. Still very useful for brake fluid drain, power steering fluid, bleeding brake calipers, etc. Also handy for riding mower hydro fluid drain. If you hear hissing from the extractor its likely a seal not in right place or damaged.

Yes, there is a switch for extract and pump out. I am surprised you got anything out if you were on on extract.
You were blowing air or whatever into the tube.

Take the oil cap off the engine to allow for air to fill the displaced oil.
You will love your MityVac.
I plan on pulling the oil plug and swap the filter every 2nd or 3rd oil service.

Okay.

I am likely using the wrong terminology for pulling the oil versus emptying the reservoir.

I was “pulling” or “drawing” when I was only able to pull 1.5 quarts.

On the Santa Fe oil change, I’ll leave the oil cap off as I attempt to draw the oil out.

Thanks!

Did you pump 10x and then it stops when ~1.5qts come out? Did you add more pumps to get more oil?

At that point I would just go to the drain plug, then come back to figure out what's wrong with the tool.

Back