Minivan Research and Recommendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So kiddo #3 is on the way and the Mrs. wants a minivan (grudgingly). We won't shell out for new and I'd like to keep it under $15k and less than 60k miles. We wanted an Odyssey but no way am I paying $25k+ for a used minivan with 100k on it.

I think I'm open to Honda, Toyota and Dodge/Chrysler. Are there any years to avoid? I'd prefer to avoid any known oil burners. The main requirements are just bluetooth. We aren't used to super nice features so don't have the "need" for them but we wouldn't turn them down.

Thanks for any help.

Odysseys late 04 and up are pretty good. I have a late build 04 that had the internal tranny updates. I have 277k on the stock tranny and everything works. Car is pretty easy to work on too. Just did the spark plugs on it.

We have had zero issues with our 2011 sienna. my parents have had zero issues with their 2014 caravan. They have both had their share of bumps/bruises and have taken minor wrecks in stride. The Odyssey is overrated, overvalued and overpriced.

My buddy has had good luck with older Hondas. Look it up, but I believe 07 is when the Odyssey got the same trans as the Ridgeline and wasn't a problem after that. He has had an 07 with 100k miles for a while and its been good for them. I think their's does have bluetooth as well as its well equipped, but no leather.
Its got the most cargo space behind the 3rd row as well which could be useful.

used Toyota with service records, expect to shell out 8k to 10k, miles don't matter, condition does.
What will break:
1. auto door (my own experience)
2. rear a/c or controls (read on internet)
3. alignment issues (front tires wear funky toe in)
4. tranny if neglected (never had issues myself but be cautious here, take for long test drive, check current atf condition on white paper)

Toyos 3rd row seat is of decent height for adult to sit for hours.

the v6 rocks in the toyo.

The Grand Caravan/Town & Country had cylinder head issues in 2011&2012. This was fixed for the year 2013 as well as having the heavier duty brakes.

Not sure about your area, but here you can get a 2016 Grand Caravan (base model) for $17,400. That's 0 miles and full warranty. My grandmother is car shopping, and will likely buy one this weekend.

I would look for a used Dodge Caravan. For the price range you want, you will get your best value there. Just avoid the years with head problems. And just for fun, you may want to look at a new one. There are deals to be had especially if you get basement financing with one.

Mazda.

I have 7 Caravans in my fleet... I would not wish them on my worst enemy... which happens to be the Chrysler engineer that designed the blasted things.

Honda's V6 and automatic transmission have issue but are better than they used to be. I would still be weary and would demand to see if the tranny received its normal fluid swaps.

I personally would look to the Toyota, but the sleeper pick would be a Mazda.

People always forget about the Mazda5. 3 Rows, slightly smaller (6 passenger), and a lot better fuel economy. Because people forget these things exist, the price is lower, Mazda will hold up as well as the Honda. Looking at Carmax near me, I see one that is a '12 with 46K miles for $16,000. Sunroof, leather etc.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The Grand Caravan/Town & Country had cylinder head issues in 2011&2012. This was fixed for the year 2013 as well as having the heavier duty brakes.

The brake issue is overblown. I have 55,000 miles on mine, and just last weekend did the first work on the brakes on it (new front pads, no rotors). Rotors on the front are still the ones that it left the factory with. I scuffed them up, cleaned them up, and slapped them back on.

The head issue is covered by a special extended warranty, to 10 years and 150,000 miles. Chrysler claims the head issue will affect around .5% (one-half percent) of engines.

My relatives have an 07 Odyssey and it has had numerous issues. The brakes are ALWAYS warped regardless, the a/c didn't work for the longest time (relay), the sliding doors refuse to close on slight inclines or declines, the VCM makes a deep bellowing noise when activated, and the fit and finish isn't all that great. I would take a stab at a Sienna. I know quite a few people who own them and have 0 issues. One family drives the [censored] out of it with no problems.

Not sure about your area, but here you can get a 2016 Grand Caravan (base model) for $17,400. That's 0 miles and full warranty. My grandmother is car shopping, and will likely buy one this weekend.

That is interesting. I should go by the dealer and see what they got. Thanks.

The Chrysler stuff requires maintenance quicker but not expensively 100k+ especially suspension bits. The price though is reflective used/attractive and if you don't mind the likelyhood of more attention.

The Honda and Toyota offer average to slightly better then average reliability in friends findings. However they are not the same as buying the rest of lines in terms of fit/finish/low cost operation.

Avoid electric doors at your price point as they all encounter expensive problems there at some point.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Avoid electric doors at your price point as they all encounter expensive problems there at some point.

Good luck

Interesting you say that about the doors. My in-laws have a 2004 Chrysler T&C with 160k on it and the powered doors and gate still work great. I figured that was one of the reliable features these days. I'd like to just takeover their van but they won't let us because they don't feel it would be reliable enough.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

That is interesting. I should go by the dealer and see what they got. Thanks.
It's the "American Value Edition" or something like that. Has hubcaps,my hats how you can tell which it is.

If you want to show your dealer the price, go to www.billluke.com and search for the vans in the New section.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: madRiver

Good luck

Interesting you say that about the doors. My in-laws have a 2004 Chrysler T&C with 160k on it and the powered doors and gate still work great. I figured that was one of the reliable features these days. I'd like to just takeover their van but they won't let us because they don't feel it would be reliable enough.

Your in laws likely don't have constant short trips and sliding door usage as a guess. Too.bad you could not get there can as you know the history and its near worthless with that age and nameplate.

Loved our 2001 Windstar LX, our 2008 Honda Odyssey LX and love our current 2013 Grand Caravan SE. I prefer basic. No power doors, etc. Like said, $15K might buy you a 5+ year old Honda or Toyota if you can find one you like. I think you'd have more success shopping the Grand Caravan. Go with 2013+. They're really nice for the money.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I think you'd have more success shopping the Grand Caravan. Go with 2013+. They're really nice for the money.

What he said!
...and I drive a Mazda5....

What about a Ford Flex? It is like a minivan but without being a minivan.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back