Mini bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My nephew had one of those purchased second hand.
Do you bend the frames yourself?
Was this some Practical Mechanics project from years ago?

Please tell more.

I've thought it would be fun to build a mini chopper to ride around as a pit bike.

This guy has all you need except the motor - motors are all over e-bay too---http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Bike-Frame-Front-Fork-Kit, e-bay item #231360501342

Last edited:
I buy them when they're around 100 bucks to fix up and sell. Pretty much any go kart or dirt bike too. Mini bikes for kids are a dangerous deal. The not so great or non-existent suspensions coupled with the very small wheels/tires make them an accident waiting to happen. Debbie Downer

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
I buy them when they're around 100 bucks to fix up and sell. Pretty much any go kart or dirt bike too. Mini bikes for kids are a dangerous deal. The not so great or non-existent suspensions coupled with the very small wheels/tires make them an accident waiting to happen. Debbie Downer

+1.

Unless you get the "doodle bug" bike with the fatter tires, the smaller tires are dangerous for kids. I would consider building your son a go kart. I had one of those as a kid and it was awesome! I actually still miss it to this day and will build another one soon. Mine had a roll bar and a seat belt built into it.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
..Mini bikes for kids are a dangerous deal. The not so great or non-existent suspensions coupled with the very small wheels/tires make them an accident waiting to happen. Debbie Downer

Oh yes.. We've probably ALL got a horrendous spill story associated with them. I laid one down and took out a paper box as a kid. The twist-throttle stuck, followed by death wobble of handlebars due to little front tire... WHOA!!! CRASH!

any silver you see on the frame is from the camera flash - those are brand new steel wheels never painted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back