Milwaukee tools worth the hype?

I have a set of Hercules battery operated tools that have done a good job. I am considering taking them home and using them for diy stuff and replacing my work stuff with Milwaukee. I bought the extended open ended electric ratchet with the pass through sockets from Milwaukee and really like it so figured I'd get the 1/2in impact and the impact driver at least. What do you guys think of them? Are they worth the money over another Hercules set or any other set in general?

This is the wrong forum for any sort of honest opinion about TTI (AKA Milwaukee) cordless tools. Check out Torque test channel for honest test compared to others.
Why is it the wrong forum?

As with all things "it depends" on what your goals are. I'm heavily invested in Milwaukee, Dewalt, Ryobi a little bit of Bauer, Hercules (corded only) for lawn care, automotive work, amateur welding and occasional wood working. I have battery and corded tools.

Explain your goals and maybe you can get a better answer.

I've owned the 1/2 in 18V mid torque for about 7 years. 5ah battery still going strong.

Also have lots of their 12v line - drill/driver, impact driver, chain saw.

Very pleased with it. The key to Milwaukee gear for DIY is be patient and find it on sale/kits,etc.

The Hercules stuff seems good. If any tool completes the job for you satisfactorily, it's the right tool IMO

Testing of a single tool isn't necessarily the whole story for me. Depth and breadth of product line, warranty and availability are also considerations for me.

As I understand it, the HF stuff has a good warranty, if you're close to a store (one hour one way for me). I ship my warranties to Milwaukee on their dime and a replacement shows up at my door (but not necessarily quickly)

AFAIK the Hercules lineup doesn't have everything Milwaukee does from OPE to plumbing tools to heavy fab to mechanics tools and more I'm forgetting.

AFAIK you can get Hercules at......HF. I can order Milwaukee from Home Depot, Tools Plus, ToolUp, Acme and dozens more.

If I chased the best tool from YouTube testing I'd be invested in several different platforms with multiple brands of batteries and chargers. I'm willing to accept some performance loss for simplicity and consolidation.

And in six months something else leapfrogs your previously-best tool. So, ya better keep up with the Joneses and run out and buy the best thing TODAY.....until tomorrow

M user here too, decided on by initial tools needed and battery system, M tools and batts were easily available, and all in all either cheaper or very similar total price compared to competition; pleased with features, quality and ergonomics.

The Hercules stuff seems good. If any tool completes the job for you satisfactorily, it's the right tool IMO

Testing of a single tool isn't necessarily the whole story for me. Depth and breadth of product line, warranty and availability are also considerations for me.

As I understand it, the HF stuff has a good warranty, if you're close to a store (one hour one way for me). I ship my warranties to Milwaukee on their dime and a replacement shows up at my door (but not necessarily quickly)

AFAIK the Hercules lineup doesn't have everything Milwaukee does from OPE to plumbing tools to heavy fab to mechanics tools and more I'm forgetting.

AFAIK you can get Hercules at......HF. I can order Milwaukee from Home Depot, Tools Plus, ToolUp, Acme and dozens more.

If I chased the best tool from YouTube testing I'd be invested in several different platforms with multiple brands of batteries and chargers. I'm willing to accept some performance loss for simplicity and consolidation.

And in six months something else leapfrogs your previously-best tool. So, ya better keep up with the Joneses and run out and buy the best thing TODAY.....until tomorrow

Well said and worth repeating

I enjoy watching Torque Test Channel (even a subscriber) but the truth is that raw performance testing is just one piece of the puzzle. And like you said, the performance winners are constantly changing as new models and revisions are released.

Well it's interesting what you guys have to say about Milwaukee. I guess I never seen the value. They're so expensive by comparison. Never really questioned their quality per say I just hate the massive difference in price vs Hercules.

Well it's interesting what you guys have to say about Milwaukee. I guess I never seen the value. They're so expensive by comparison. Never really questioned their quality per say I just hate the massive difference in price vs Hercules.
Like mentioned above, you have to hit the deals on them, they are expensive everyday price.

Makita makes great cordless tools. They practically invented them, about 40 years ago, with a 9.6V cordless drill. I’ve got a few dozen, including angle grinder, and impact wrenches. The best there is for quality.

I’ve got 18v Makita batteries that are over a decade old, have been used heavily, and still work great.

That said, I’ve got Milwaukee 12V tools, like ratchets, where the Milwaukee is the better tool.

Can’t go wrong with either, but there is a big difference between homeowner quality, like Ryobi, and professional quality, like Makita.

You did not answer my question above as to what you plan on doing, again that would be helpful.
The front end tool and battery investment is expensive for Milwaukee, but there are deals out there if you have patience. They command a premium because professionals to DIYers use them and their warranty length, and warranty support process (at least for me) has been outstanding.

You did not answer my question above as to what you plan on doing, again that would be helpful.
The front end tool and battery investment is expensive for Milwaukee, but there are deals out there if you have patience. They command a premium because professionals to DIYers use them and their warranty support (at least for me) has been outstanding.
Auto shop so typical auto shop jobs

I have a set of Hercules battery operated tools that have done a good job. I am considering taking them home and using them for diy stuff and replacing my work stuff with Milwaukee. I bought the extended open ended electric ratchet with the pass through sockets from Milwaukee and really like it so figured I'd get the 1/2in impact and the impact driver at least. What do you guys think of them? Are they worth the money over another Hercules set or any other set in general?
What kind of work are you doing? Auto repair? Landscaping? Carpentry? My answer would vary, depending on the kind of work for which you intend these tools.

Edit: your answer popped up after I typed.

Milwaukee is good. So is Makita.

Makita makes better batteries, though Milwaukee batteries are good. Makita impact wrenches are great. Makita angle grinders, especially cordless, are great.

The Milwaukee cordless ratchets are much better than the Makita.

If it is just impact, then it’s really a tossup. If you want the ratchet wrenches, then you’re gonna have to buy into the Milwaukee 12 V system. The size, and form factor,
image.jpg
of the Milwaukee is about the best. Milwaukee also makes a 12 V Dremel tool that’s really good.

Last edited:
From what I’ve seen In an automotive environment, if you work on stuff with a lot of rust/ corrosion so the tools work harder, then Milwaukee doesn’t last like DeWalt does. I’ve got friends in other trades that have found the same issues, casings fall apart at joints and bearings get noisy.

My cordless impacts - at the shop (there is a Makita at home). The 3/8 Milwaukee is usually enough. The Makita handles most jobs easily.

There are several pneumatic ones for the worst fasteners.
image.jpg

Back