Might be owning a Saab soon

Then it routinely passed (the semi tough I hear) Massachusetts state inspection from '09-'19
There's no emissions test in MA after 15 years, just has to pass a safety inspection. Few shops do it right, I believe the proper inspection is supposed to take 45 minutes, most shops will have a sticker on your car in 5-10 minutes. Then I'm sure like the rest of the country, you hear stories of places where you can go for a few extra $$, they'll pass anything.

PXL_20210129_205206448.jpg

PXL_20210129_205214055.jpg

PXL_20210129_205226592.jpg

PXL_20210129_205155000.jpg

Yeah...... No

AND the top doesn't work

Glad I looked it over again in the cold light of day

$1400 back in my pocket, but I've seen several others for sale, maybe we'll look into those

Thank you everyone for your insight, it's much appreciated, and now I know significantly more on what to look for on the next one

Reactions: SR5
There's no emissions test in MA after 15 years, just has to pass a safety inspection. Few shops do it right, I believe the proper inspection is supposed to take 45 minutes, most shops will have a sticker on your car in 5-10 minutes. Then I'm sure like the rest of the country, you hear stories of places where you can go for a few extra $$, they'll pass anything.
MA inspection is a joke.

Sometimes things are too good to be true. But sometimes you just have to look to be sure--sometimes it is a diamond in the rough but no one was looking.

The oils used 22 years ago had 1200 ppm zinc and more, the chains really benefited from it, you do not want to do chains on the 204 or 205, it is a major undertaking.
Interesting you should post that. I read an article or two the other day that claimed ZDDP was bad for chains, contrary to the initial expectation. It was making me feel dumb for running Mobil TDT in our 2.0t Tiguan, which I had thought would be a good choice. Now I don't know what to think.

In keeping with the thread, I saw a Saab 95 WAGON in traffic last week but I couldn't get a pic. It appeared to be in good health, don't remember the last time I saw a Saab wagon.

I currently own three Saab's, a 1999 93 Viggen , 2001 95 Aero, 2003 Aero.

Be certain that it has the current PCV system installed.
Drop oil pan to check condition of sump and potential blocking of pickup screen.
OCI of 3k with Shell Rotella 5w-40.
Enjoy.
Been there done that, owned all models of Saab's for over 40 years.
Best Saab tech in country: JG Saab Service, Lunenburg Ma. 978-342-6860

Drop oil pan to check condition of sump and potential blocking of pickup screen.
Enjoy.
Check the photos above; the Head gasket is blown coolant in the oil. Deal retracted.
This is an OLD thread from the end of January.
I just noticed that myself.

Enjoy.
He is just up the road from me, about a mile. I have known him many years.

Trav,

Where is the chain tensioner you spoke of above? Can you get at it with the valve cover off?

Yes, its not a big job. It is on the left side front of the engine you only need to remove the cover to unlock the tensioner.
While you are doing that job you can also do this very easy job with this cheap little part should be considered a mandatory upgrade...

The original M6 thread has a bad habit of breaking off in the head and lets the chain slap around til it breaks the guide making one heck of a mess.

Back