Are oil specs cross compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2014 Maserati Ghibli SQ4. Twin turbo V6 built by Ferrari. I don't have the owners manual so I don't know what the specific oil specification is, but Maserati recommends Pennzoil Euro 5W40(550040834). I looked up the oil on Pennzoil's site and the only difference between them and amazon, for the same oil, is that Pennzoil advertises the oil as the only Ferrari/Maserati approved oil where as amazon doesn't.

Would this mean I could run M1 5W40 Formula M or LiquiMoly euro in my Maserati? They both meet atleast one spec listed on the Pennzoil Euro. Are manufacture approved oils cross compatible? I mean if Pennzoil euro works for BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Ferrari, Maserati...that has to mean they all have the same requirements right? So I could use "Mercedes" oil in a BMW, and vise versa?

Edit: found the PDF of the owners manual. Oil specs are: "Entirely synthetic multigrade lubricants SAE 5W/40that meet API SL/CF and ACEA A3, B3, B4"
The recommended Pennzoil meets API SN/CF but the owners manual calls for SL/CF....

Last edited:
With respect to Amazon, product blurbs there do not constitute a specification. The data sheet for the oils and the label for the oils list what specifications the oils meets. I've seen far worse errors than that on various retail websites, so I tend to ignore a retailer's product description insofar as I can. With motor oil, that's very easy to do. With some products, it's not.

Many Euro OEM approvals have very similar corresponding specs, but from a warranty standpoint, that doesn't necessarily mean they are equivalent. Many oils are interchangeable for various purposes, but I only recommend tinkering in that regard when you know what the OEM specification actually involves. For example, an OEM spec that is based upon C3 isn't intending the same things as one based upon A3/B4, although they may be interchangeable in some circumstances.

Originally Posted by avacado11

Edit: found the PDF of the owners manual. Oil specs are: "Entirely synthetic multigrade lubricants SAE 5W/40that meet API SL/CF and ACEA A3, B3, B4"
The recommended Pennzoil meets API SN/CF but the owners manual calls for SL/CF....

API SN is newer/better than SL, as well as backwards compatible.
I see no problems using Pennzoil, and if you want to use M1 it should be just as good; just googled and found this video https://youtu.be/HpmsRTcR6Vg where M1 0w40 is used, it's easily available at almost any Walmart and is an excellent oil (I run it in my MB and the car loves it)
Mobil1 FormulaM 5w40 is a great oil as well, but twice as expensive as Mobil1 0w40 while both are approved by MB 229.5 spec.

Liqui Moly website suggests their Syntoil 5w40 which doesn't have any separate Maserati approval, but has MB 229.5 approval
Another option is Motul and their site suggests 8100 X-clean 5w40 which also carries 229.5

You can buy both oils from rmeuropean store, they ship for free with $65 min order, but their price is the best I was able to find
LM 5w40 https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/2332-MFG888-V8792.aspx
Motul 5w40 https://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/Mer....aspx?catalogID=010&subcatID=1407478

I hope you'll enjoy your vehicle, owning a european car means more maintenance but more fun as well.

Last edited:
AAP carries Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 and 5 quarts is $29.99 all day, every day.

I see no reason to use anything else, but you should be fine with any A3/B4 0W/5W-40.

Someone say Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40? " Exceeds Maserati"

9AD35D0B-130D-47F7-8AFA-7195103171D9.jpeg

1EDF6BA5-31E4-449B-84CD-DB13E2FFF975.jpeg

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
OM is pretty clear. Synthetic 5w-40 A3/B4 (B3) are what you are looking for.

This.

OP, you have it pretty easy with requirements as Maserati doesn't have a specific certification to chase, just standard API and ACEA ratings.

Any synthetic 5w40 that's at least API SL, and ACEA A3/B4 will work for you.

I just purchased a 2014 Maserati Ghibli SQ4. ....The recommended Pennzoil meets API SN/CF but the owners manual calls for SL/CF....
SL is just the old deprecated API spec, which SN fully covers, as it is the current API spec here. .... I understand avacodo11's feeliing that IF an oil meets a bunch of very tough German engine specs, it has plenty of a great variety of tests proving it performs at a high level, this is true.
The only thing I'd maybe avoid is using a house-brand or manufacturer-specific oil in your Maserati. For example, if you get the Mobil1 5w40 Formula M, that is intended for Mercedes engines only, and the only thing of any concern would be the full suite of seal compatabiity tests. Similar situation if you got BMW TwinPower 0w40 oil, which is kinda meant for just BMW engines. The Seal Compatibility issue is probably not a problem though, I'd just be more comfortable knowing an oil meets Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Peugeot, GM, or at least 4 out of 6 of those...... Huge pile of performance tests to pass, so you're "sure" you've got a great product.

SN do not replace or fully cover SL. SL had a higher zinc content so if they are calling for SL that's probably the reason. Most xw40 Euro oils are over 1000 ppm of zinc anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
SN do not replace or fully cover SL. SL had a higher zinc content so if they are calling for SL that's probably the reason. Most xw40 Euro oils are over 1000 ppm of zinc anyway.
Zinc, actually ZDDP, is for anti-wear (AW). SL had weaker AW engine test limits than the current SN does now. Also, there are other ways to perform AW other than ZDDP. SN fully obsoletes SL.
https://www.infineum.com/media/337535/inf_api_bro_2018_8-14-18.pdf

Then why are oil high in zinc used for break in? It has been proven time and time again newer oils do not protect flat tappet or in some cases cams subjected to high spring pressures. Nothing replaces zinc no matter what they claim.
Its reasonable to ask why they spec SL for a 2014 engine. Being an DOHC engine with mechanical lash adjuster I think it is also safe to assume this engine has higher valve spring rates given it rpm range.

BTW. Actually Zinc and ZDDP are interchangeable for discussion of this compound in engine oils in fact UOA's just say zinc.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2012/10/18/tech-101-zinc-in-oil-and-its-effects-on-older-engines/

https://generalaviationnews.com/2013/08/28/what-you-dont-know-about-zinc-can-hurt-you/

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
AAP carries Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 and 5 quarts is $29.99 all day, every day.

I see no reason to use anything else, but you should be fine with any A3/B4 0W/5W-40.

I plan on running Pennzoil Euro, but none of the stores around me carry it in stock. I know Napa carries LiquiMoly high-tech FS, and I've seen some euro oils at Walmart. Just need to figure out an alternative incase I can't get Pennzoil.

I'm gonna assume the oil is rated for 12500 mile OCI, so I'm gonna stick with whatever it calls for. My warranty is expired so I'm just trying to make sure the engine doesn't blow when I have 11500mi on the oil.

Mobil1 Annual is starting to make sense but it's not approved for ACEA A3/B4.

Would it make sense to run something like Royal purple 5W40 or M1 Advanced with 6k intervals or just a waste of oil?

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I plan on running Pennzoil Euro, but none of the stores around me carry it in stock. I know Napa carries LiquiMoly high-tech FS, and I've seen some euro oils at Walmart. Just need to figure out an alternative incase I can't get Pennzoil.

I'm gonna assume the oil is rated for 12500 mile OCI, so I'm gonna stick with whatever it calls for. My warranty is expired so I'm just trying to make sure the engine doesn't blow when I have 11500mi on the oil.

Mobil1 Annual is starting to make sense but it's not approved for ACEA A3/B4.

Would it make sense to run something like Royal purple 5W40 or M1 Advanced with 6k intervals or just a waste of oil?

https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550040834-6PK-Platinum-5W-40-Synthetic/dp/B00JMCCBRW

-15% if you'll do subscribe&save (you can subscribe and cancel later at any time), as well as you get $10 Pennzoil rebate if you file online

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
OM is pretty clear. Synthetic 5w-40 A3/B4 (B3) are what you are looking for.

This is what I'd expect. I think the discussion of API specs here is missing the mark. We don't see Maserati listed on Pennzoil 10w-40 or any SAE 40 API grades. The mention is uncommon enough as it is, but given that it's mentioned on an A3/B4 jug is indicative.

Hi
Is the Shell Helix Ultra not available in America? It is the Factory fill of your Maserati.

The search stops there really if it's available.

Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi
Is the Shell Helix Ultra not available in America? It is the Factory fill of your Maserati.

The search stops there really if it's available.

It's rebranded as the Pennzoil in the manual (or very similar).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back