10W40 and MS-6395 code oil ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I'm confusing.
The maintenace manual of my car (Chysler Voyager CRD 2.8, 2006 year, european diesel versione) recommends 10W40 or 5W40 and MS-6395 oil engine.
But I can not find a oli with both code 10W40 and MS-6395.
This is the MS-6395 standard specification:
http://jeepoffroadadventures.com/wp/?page_id=801
You can see it mentions 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 only, never 10W40 or 5W40.
How is it possible that mantenance manual recommends 10W40 and MS-6395, but 10W40 is not mention in MS-6395 standard?

This is extract from maintenance manual:

"Use only Diesel Engine Oil meeting standard MIL- 2104C or API Classification CD or higher or CCML D4, D5.
To assure of properly formulated engine oils, it is recommended that SAE Grade 10W-40 engine oils that meet Chrysler material standard MS-6395, be used in accordance to ACEA B3, B4 specification. European Grade 10W-40 oils are also acceptable.
Oils of the SAE 5W-40 grade number are preferred when minimum temperatures consistently fall below -15°C".

The old owner of my car did use 5w30 ACEA C3 oil.
Is ACEA C3 compatible with B3 B4?

It was 5w30 SELENIA MULTIPOWER C3 oil. This is technical specification:
"SAE 5W-30,VW 502.00,VW 505.00,VW 505.01,API SM/CF,ACEA C3,MB-Approval 229.51,BMW LL-04,FIAT 9.55535-S3 CONTRACTUAL TECHNICAL REFERENCE N°F129.F11,MS-11106"

Can I Continue to use the same oil 5w30 C3?

You won´t find any oil bottle Meeting ms6395, at least I didn´t too! You can stay with the ACEA C3 as this works great for diesel cars! You can also go for 10w40 acea B4 or 5w40 acea B4, it will be less pricey than an ACEA C3! I worked for a Company who sold and serviced chryslers and we also put in B4 10w40 from Esso in all cars, gas and diesels! I was good for a 20km oil Change! Nayway stick with 5w30 C3 or save some Euros using 10w40 B4, your engine will run without Problems on both! Just take a look at the Timing belt which Needs to be replaced after 100000 kms/ 5 years!

Originally Posted By: giurti
The mantenance manual recommends:
"Use only Diesel Engine Oil meeting ... API Classification CD or higher

Pretty much ALL engine oil meets these specs

I don't think you can buy a bad oil for that engine if it is a current HDEO

FWIW: No where in that spec sheet does it list "10w-40" or even "5W-40" as a compatible oil grade for the spec.

That does not mean oil of those two grades are incompatible with the spec though. In fact, I am willing to bet any name brand engine oil that is API SN rated will meet every requirement on that spec sheet, which would make it compatible with the spec by definition even if it is not listed (and even if the oil container the oil came in did not list that spec as one that it met).

That particular Chrysler spec is not as stringent as others, and as a result just about any modern engine oil of any (multi-)grade will meet the spec, regardless of whether or not the manufacturer has taken the time to subject the oil to the tests listed in their spec.

As someone has already stated, use any HDEO oil you can find locally for a good price, and you will be just fine.

Your engine doesn't have a diesel particulate filter (DPF), right? In that case the best oil to use is ACEA E9/E7 or API CK-4/CJ-4. Use 15W-40 for best protection. You can also use 10W-40. I am guessing that you live in a warm part of Italy; therefore, there is no need for 5W-40 or 5W-30. Also, there is no need for C3 in a car without DPF. A3/B4 is also OK but E7/E9 or CK-4/CJ-4 protect diesels better. No need for synthetic. 15W-40 offers more protection than 10W-40; 10W-40 offers more protection than 5W-40, and 5W-40 offers more protection than 0W-40. Ignore MS-6395.

Thank very much to all.
My Chrysler Voyager, 2006 year is european version of Dodge Caravans. It is turbo diesel 2.8cc, automatic transmission.

Now 95000 km.
I'm in Italy, the weather is not extreme.

The previous owner used 5w30 C3 oil engine from 2015 year 67000 km (I do not know what oil it used before).
The car seems work well; it do not consume oil.

After your suggestions (and other forum), for the next maintenances, I think I wil use a 5w40 ACEA A3/B4 (or 10w40 perhaps) synthetic oil, any 15000 km, one of this three (in price order):
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-vsi-sae-5w-40.html
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-hcs-sae-5w-40.html
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-vollsynth-turbo-vst-sae-5w-40.html

Thanks for suggest to replace Timing belt after 100000 kms/ 5 years (there is only one belt to replace, or two?).

Finally, I ask the need to replace the oil and filer of automatich transmission.
The maintenance schedul recomended it only for police, taxi, limousine type operation, or trailer towin.
I read this: https://www.allpar.com/eek/atf.html
In the middle paragraph: "Flushing the system: a more complete method", it shows how to change the fluid at all, from cooler line.
Others suggest to drop the transmission pan, clean and replace the pan and filter and then fill the transmission. Drive the vehicle for 1 - 2 weeks and then repeat the procedure: remove pan, drain fluid, clean pan, refill fluid.
Is it a good choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back